Cutting armor parts but still OK for EIB and Centurion Status

Dear Detachment EIB/Centurion Selection Officers,

I have been a TK since June 2016.  Since then I have participated in 10 trooping days with the Indonesia Outpost.

On Indonesia Comic Con 2016 trooping at 1-2 October 2016, I encountered stairways to go up the stage with about 30cm high steps.  That proved to be a challenged for me wearing my armor.  I am a stormtrooper and would like to keep my stormtrooper dignity going up and down the stage (without having minders hold my hand).

For future troopings, I would like to improve my mobility by cutting out armor parts.  But I also would like to attain EIB and Centurion status in the future.  Hence I am writing to you to seek approval to my proposed armor parts cutting.

Please view my photos....

post-25161-0-44429000-1477070502_thumb.jpg

Left leg rear view with problem area circled.  I can hear the plastics clashing.

post-25161-0-50223300-1477070512_thumb.jpg

Left leg front view with problem area circled.  The upper thigh is stabbing me.

post-25161-0-45557000-1477070601_thumb.jpg

Right leg rear view with problem area circled.

post-25161-0-92426900-1477070612_thumb.jpg

Right leg front view with problem area circled.  Upper thigh is stabbing me.

My proposal:

post-25161-0-61702400-1477070646_thumb.jpg

Cut out the return edges at the rear of the lower thighs and upper shin rear as per the red lines above.

post-25161-0-43453800-1477070655_thumb.jpg

Upper thighs to be cut with curve shape about 1 inch from the top pointy edges that stab me.

As for my forearms.  They are too long.  I proposed to cutout the inside of the forarms towards the elbow bends so that the forearms can move to the elbow bends.  See the forearms are covering part of the handguards.

post-25161-0-54956200-1477070675_thumb.jpg

Left forearm to be cut at the red curved line 1inch deep from the edge so the forearm can move back per the red arrow to show more handguard.

post-25161-0-48799400-1477070685_thumb.jpg

Right forearm to be cut along the red curved line about 1 inch deep from the edge so that the forearm can move per the arrow to show more handguard.

Please approve the above proposed cut.  If not approved, please redraw on the picture the allowed cut with different color line.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Much appreciated,

Hubert

TK22807

Edited by buccaneer
removed some pics
  • Like 1

Interestingly enough, I've done the exact things you're proposing here, plus also trimming the inner side of forearms where the wrist bends inwards. Sure, everyone's different, but I'm 5'10 and 190, and for me not doing these types of cuts and refinements made me feel like I was the rusty tinman. Now, I haven't yet submitted my set and gotten EIB or Centurion but will be surprised (and disappointed) if this excludes eligibility. I've been doing final armor fittings the past several weeks and have been doing all this to the pieces in order to get the range of motion, mobility, and comfort I'd deem acceptable and to make a look that looks super fitted. 

TL;DR: In the same boat, doing the same things, hoping for the same answer (being ok to do).  :)

• Like 1

Check out the backs of my thigh/shins, Centurion approved: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39147-tk-20466-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ap/

Some pictures on where/how much I cut in my build thread: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37704-alays-anh-stunt-build-ap-first-build/page-8#entry516898

This was done by some actors in the movies too:

vlcsna14.jpg

The other two (tops of thighs/forearms) I'm not sure about, but as part of the Centurion/EIB requirements is fitting I'd assume that reasonable adjustments for wearing and fitting would be okay. I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to chime in though!

Edited by Alay
  • Like 1

I'd hope that trimming the tops of thighs such that you can actually kneel or walk up/down stairs comfortable is ok. Likewise, trimming the forearms so you can actually holster your blaster, or take your helmet off, etc. Before I trimmed out the wrists some on the forearms I literally couldn't put my helmet on myself there was not enough inward motion allowed by the hand, or bending the elbow inwards too for that matter (hence my tinman reference). I've seen some builds where the top points of the thigh sit so high and with all that return edge I really wonder much range of motion there is in their legs, outside of light walking strides. Anyway, just my own personal observation after struggling with perfecting range of motion myself lately.

• Like 1

Check out the backs of my thigh/shins, Centurion approved: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39147-tk-20466-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ap/

Some pictures on where/how much I cut in my build thread: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37704-alays-anh-stunt-build-ap-first-build/page-8#entry516898

This was done by some actors in the movies too:

vlcsna14.jpg

The other two (tops of thighs/forearms) I'm not sure about, but as part of the Centurion/EIB requirements is fitting I'd assume that reasonable adjustments for wearing and fitting would be okay. I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to chime in though!

Thanks for sharing your pics and build thread.  Very informative, pictures speak a thousand words.  I like the inside of your helmet. Congrats on your Centurion status.  Is your DLT19 from Hyperfirm?

Interestingly enough, I've done the exact things you're proposing here, plus also trimming the inner side of forearms where the wrist bends inwards. Sure, everyone's different, but I'm 5'10 and 190, and for me not doing these types of cuts and refinements made me feel like I was the rusty tinman. Now, I haven't yet submitted my set and gotten EIB or Centurion but will be surprised (and disappointed) if this excludes eligibility. I've been doing final armor fittings the past several weeks and have been doing all this to the pieces in order to get the range of motion, mobility, and comfort I'd deem acceptable and to make a look that looks super fitted. 

TL;DR: In the same boat, doing the same things, hoping for the same answer (being ok to do).  :)

Hope you get your EIB and Centurion status too.  We're in the same boat.  Thanks for your thoughts.

The only thing that I would recommend is cutting the backs with a crescent shape rather then square. The center is the main pinch point correct?

Thanks for your input. Ok will cut the back of lower thighs and upper shins in crescent shape.  Yes, center is the main pinch point.

I'd hope that trimming the tops of thighs such that you can actually kneel or walk up/down stairs comfortable is ok. Likewise, trimming the forearms so you can actually holster your blaster, or take your helmet off, etc. Before I trimmed out the wrists some on the forearms I literally couldn't put my helmet on myself there was not enough inward motion allowed by the hand, or bending the elbow inwards too for that matter (hence my tinman reference). I've seen some builds where the top points of the thigh sit so high and with all that return edge I really wonder much range of motion there is in their legs, outside of light walking strides. Anyway, just my own personal observation after struggling with perfecting range of motion myself lately.

Yeah.  At this point in time, i have to be helped in putting my armor on because of limited range of mobility.  I would like to be able to button my shoulder bell, hooking my thermal detonator myself.  All these stuff I have to ask favors in changing room due to limited mobility.  Thanks for your input.

Thanks for sharing your pics and build thread.  Very informative, pictures speak a thousand words.  I like the inside of your helmet. Congrats on your Centurion status.  Is your DLT19 from Hyperfirm?

Thanks! And it is a Hyperfirm. I absolutely love it; it's sturdy enough that it has a decent weight to it, looks accurate enough for trooping, and it's rubber so I can let kids hold it for a picture without worrying about it getting broken.

Also makes something great to lean against on longer troops :)

Hi, the cuts at the rear of your thighs are absolutely no problem. They are definitely screen accurate. :) All the other points are no problem as well if you perform them as marked. If you cut the forearms make sure the outer side is not coming too high. Most troopers cut the lower side instead. For Centurion the return edges have to be removed anyway and the number of squares is not defined. <br>

Cheers <br>

Christian

• Like 2

Hi, the cuts at the rear of your thighs are absolutely no problem. They are definitely screen accurate. :) All the other points are no problem as well if you perform them as marked. If you cut the forearms make sure the outer side is not coming too high. Most troopers cut the lower side instead. For Centurion the return edges have to be removed anyway and the number of squares is not defined. <br>

Cheers <br>

Christian

Thank you Novak Dimon for the input.  I will proceed.