Celebration Europe 2016 Rogue One Stormtrooper Back Pack Build

Yes you are correct. Also the antenna should be another 10 inches or so longer using the top part of the middle section of the precision X rod to get the length (a reliable source has confirmed this for us) This thread focuses on the pack seen at CE. We speculated last year that the antenna (rod) was broken at the base and was not the intended design however I believe the shorter antenna was featured on a tops card or somewhere. Cannot recall at the moment. A while back we mentioned on the FB page about there being 2 variations to the antenna, long and short versions.

Yes, it appears both versions made it into the movie as well. These troopers on crystal patrol duty are standing right next to each other, looking at their shoulders the packs are approximately at the same height and yet one antenna is significantly taller than the other.

IMG_1327_zps6tunanja.jpg

Its difficult to tell. The Topps card image I posted does definately show a significantly shorter aerial however in the image below (although artwork, it is just photoshopped over a photograph) you can see the longer version antenna has slipped downward presenting a shorter appearance at the top of the pack. You can see the rest of the antenna protruding from the base of the pack underneath. So it would be hard to prove if the shorter antenna in the screen shot is the shorter version or a slipped longer antenna.

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-28%20at%2020.15.

Edited by mr paul

Yes I see what you mean, I agree with you 100%. It actually is difficult to tell from my screenshot, especially from that angle. The image you posted above definitely looks like the antenna has slipped down, it's actually protruding from the bottom of the pack! Also I agree about the extra 10 inches from the middle section of the fishing rod, I believe that's the way it was intended by the prop maker. And you say a reliable source has confirmed this as well.

As you pointed out earlier the Lucasfilm licensed Hot Toys action figure also has the antenna extending down alongside the A.L.I.C.E. pack.

HotToysCrystalPatrolPackCROPPED_zpsckt2t

Just like the end of the latex tubing going into the bottom corner of the grenade case I believe the fishing rod is also supposed to be extended to the bottom of the pack like this.

Perhaps it's possible the bottom of the antenna was supposed to slip under the webbing patch on the side of the A.L.I.C.E. pack? Just a thought...

Edited by SlyFox740

On the topic of the Antenna I wanted to speculate what purpose it could possibly be used for within the Star Wars universe.

The visual guide states that the pack includes a "Datapad for cataloging crystal captures". It's very plausible this data pad could be linked to Imperial command through the antenna in order to log crystal captures on a coordinated central system to be confirmed when the trooper returns from crystal patrol duty.

IMG_1368_zpsqvt1x55t.jpg                                   

I am reluctant to think the antenna would be used for verbal radio communication as troopers already have this feature built into their armor but I guess it could be plausible that that pack Antenna is used for long range inter-planetary communications with Imperial Command and the radio built into the armor is just for the troopers within a squad. Though I feel it's more likely to be used for data transmission than audio communication, but I guess that's all up to speculation. It could also be a geo-location beacon incase anyone attempts to kill a trooper on crystal patrol duty and steal the pack, though they would have a very hard time opening it once the crystals are inside the vacuum sealed armored canisters locked in a well secured backpack. Which would buy the Empire lots of time to locate it before they can manage to get any kyber crystals out.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

I would hazard a guess that the orange rectangle displayed on the left shoulder straps of all the packs is there to represent the orange that is seen wherever there are Kyber crystals. In the film we see smaller orange canisters, larger orange crates and we continue to see them through to Scarif where the AC-ACT carry the large orange cargo crates.

Edited by mr paul

I would hazard a guess that the orange rectangle displayed on the right shoulder straps of all the packs is there to represent the orange that is seen wherever there are Kyber crystals. In the film we see smaller orange canisters, larger orange crates and we continue to see them through to Scarif where the AC-ACT carry the large orange cargo crates.

I believe you are correct in that assumption about the orange patch on the shoulder strap, all the other types of kyber crystal containers, or carriers in the movie are orange as well. The containers that are captured during Saw Gerrera's insurgent ambush on the tank transport in Jedha city are orange, here is a photo from the Rogue One visual guide. I feel the "Vac-Sealed Armored Canisters" inside the crystal patrol duty pack would likely look similar to this but smaller.

IMG_1378_zps0odqlkhp.jpg

Here is the kyber crystal-carrying transport containers, as it states the Empire "stores them in armored cargo modules coded in an orange hue" so you are in fact correct about the orange color being directly related to kyber crystal cargo.

IMG_1386_zps7thmbw5i.jpg

Here is a photo showing how the shock proof canisters fit inside the armored cargo modules. Again I feel it's likely these are similar to the "Vacuum-Sealed Armored Canisters" that the visual guide states are in the crystal patrol duty pack but only smaller. Perhaps the orange hue that the shoulder straps and these cargo containers are coded in could possibly be a warning or caution sign as to the kyber crystal's potentially dangerous properties.

IMG_1383_zpsjxioxtpi.jpg

Edited by SlyFox740

I found another screenshot that confirms the extended antenna down the side of the A.L.I.C.E. pack. You can barely make out the antenna against the black dyed A.L.I.C.E. pack but you can clearly see the bottom end of the fishing rod protruding from the bottom of the pack.

IMG_1401_zpskmfpox9a.jpg

With MrPaul's reliable source of information and these screenshots I believe we can confirm the prop makers intended the antenna to extend the entire length of the pack. The Hot Toys Jedha Patrol action figure reflects the same design as well, which is a Lucasfilm licensed product.

IMG_2801_zpspnmagkrl.jpg

With these screenshots we now have confirmation that the antennas for the packs in the movie were like this too. Both the extended fishing rod, and the end of latex tubing going into the side of the grenade case.

c18a1006-58b7-4312-a9b9-42720961c381_zps

I have updated my pack and installed my fishing rod and latex tubing just like this as I feel it is screen accurate where as the antenna & cable displayed at Celebration Europe was not screen accurate. I used the screenshots above as well as this image of the Hot Toys action figure for reference.

HotToysCrystalPatrolPackCROPPED_zpsckt2t

Here's my updated antenna/cable.

IMG_1414_zpspyfx9xn2.jpg

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had a message from Photobucket telling me their terms and conditions have changed as of last week. The service I was getting free last week is now going to cost me $399.00 a year if I want to continue 3rd party sharing of my images. Every image I have ever shared on a forum has been taken down until I pay up. Sorry for the inconvenience. I have joined Imgur and hope to have all these pictures uploaded again asap.

Just had a message from Photobucket telling me their terms and conditions have changed as of last week. The service I was getting free last week is now going to cost me $399.00 a year if I want to continue 3rd party sharing of my images. Every image I have ever shared on a forum has been taken down until I pay up. Sorry for the inconvenience. I have joined Imgur and hope to have all these pictures uploaded again asap.

I put all of my pics on Facebook at into albums and that is what I use to post to forums. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is going to be a while before we have this build thread repaired. If you are building a pack and need information or photos we are still updating our back pack Facebook page regularly. We have just published instructions for making the longer antenna variant. There is also a half price sale on the Hook greeblie. PM me for details if you are interested.

• Like 1

I will go through my posts and repair my broken photobucket links, I have switched to another host like everyone else should. Now it's just a matter of repairing all the broken links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well I guess it's no use, Apparently now that we've done all the leg work and research on this pack here on FISD it's being given away to MEPD.

We know now that it's clearly a Stormtrooper pack, not a Sandtrooper pack. So I had high hopes like many others that standard TKs would finally have a BackPack as an optional accessory, but I guess not. Both this "Crystal Patrol Duty Pack" and the other "Sandtrooper Type 4 Fieldpack" from Rogue One are going to MEPD, I was told that FISD was getting this one but apparently now we're not. I'm not even sure why they call it MEPD anymore, most of the listed costumes are never seen anywhere in Mos Eisley. I think it's high time that detachment changed their name in my opinion.

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SlyFox740 said:

Well I guess it's no use, Apparently now that's we've done all the leg work and research on this pack here on FISD it's being given away to MEPD.

We know now that it's clearly a Stormtrooper pack, not a Sandtrooper pack. So I had high hopes like many others that standard TKs would finally have a BackPack as an optional accessory, but I guess not. Both this "Crystal Patrol Duty Pack" and the other "Sandtrooper Type 4 Fieldpack" from Rogue One are going to MEPD, I was told that FISD was getting this one but apparently now we're not. I'm not even sure why they call it MEPD anymore, most of the listed costumes are never seen anywhere in Mos Eisley. I think it's high time that detachment changed their name in my opinion.

I too agree. It would make more sense if the MEPD was renamed to reflect the broader costumes it now has to represent. Not just Mos Eisley anymore. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, mr paul said:

That makes no sense.

Yea tell me about it! I've been trying to argue that logic. They explained it like this; https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38187-rogue-one-stormtrooper-crl/?do=findComment&comment=575193

Basically MEPD was originally supposed to take all the "deployed" versions of Stormtroopers (ie. anything with a pauldron or pack; HWT, ect) But they wanted to stay focused on the Tatooine Sandtroopers hence the detachment name Mos Eisley Police Dept.

The detachment is now broadening their horizons and accepting the initial intent to host other "deployed" troopers aside from the just the Sandtrooper.

Though I really feel the detachment will now need a major name change as most of the costumes they will be getting are never seen anywhere near Tatooine or Mos Eisley for that matter!

Edited by SlyFox740

Hey ireachy, mr paul, SlyFox740 (and whoever else I missed),

Any way you guys could update all your posted images? Photobucket stopped hosting your images and now all the images are broken. I'm in the process of building this pack. The build is harder to understand without those images. :)

Hope this is doable. Thanks in advance.

On 17/10/2017 at 11:51 PM, googleglassjedi said:

Hey ireachy, mr paul, SlyFox740 (and whoever else I missed),

Any way you guys could update all your posted images? Photobucket stopped hosting your images and now all the images are broken. I'm in the process of building this pack. The build is harder to understand without those images. :)

Hope this is doable. Thanks in advance.

Come and join ireachy and myself over on facebook. The exact same thread with all the same images and instructions are over there. Click on photos, start from the bottom and work your way up :)

https://www.facebook.com/rogueonetkbackpack/

On 10/19/2017 at 4:21 PM, mr paul said:

Come and join ireachy and myself over on facebook. The exact same thread with all the same images and instructions are over there. Click on photos, start from the bottom and work your way up :)

https://www.facebook.com/rogueonetkbackpack/

Sweet! Thanks Paul! I just LIKED the FB page. I'll be studying it closely.

• Like 1