Celebration Europe 2016 Rogue One Stormtrooper Back Pack Build

Just to be sure before I go on an ordering blitz, does this sound correct for parts needed?

6 x 1 inch cam buckles for the sleeping bag

5 x 25mm antique brass gliders or more?

Cotton Dark olive drab strapping for sleeping bag

You will need more than 5 Webbing Gliders. There are 4 on the front of the main flap alone! then two securing the bottom of the ALICE pack to the M-75 frame, and possibly 2 more securing the top of the ALICE pack to the M-75 frame.

I don't believe any additional strapping is needed other than the Cotton OD Green Webbing. Also your list is missing some main key components shown in the first post of this thread. Unless you have already bought those you will obviously need to order them too; Frame, Ammo Box, ALICE Pack, Shoulder Straps...

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 1

Thanks Henry. Super helpful for ordering. I already bought the alice pack with correct shoulder straps, ordered the ammo box & frame the other day. The cost of building this pack is really starting to hurt.  :(

Sorry guys for hijacking this thread with my ordering inquiry.  If possible, I would like to hear your thoughts on the antennae top cap.Is it already part of the fishing rod?  Also what size or type of black tubing do you think they used?

• Like 2

Thanks Henry. Super helpful for ordering. I already bought the alice pack with correct shoulder straps, ordered the ammo box & frame the other day. The cost of building this pack is really starting to hurt.  :(

Sorry guys for hijacking this thread with my ordering inquiry.  If possible, I would like to hear your thoughts on the antennae top cap.Is it already part of the fishing rod?  Also what size or type of black tubing do you think they used?

The cap is very difficult to identify because of poor reference images. We a pursuing a possible lead on where they came from and I am receiving some samples this week. The `tubing we are finalising what we think is the correct part.

Edited by mr paul

The cap is very difficult to identify because of poor reference images. We a pursuing a possible lead on where they came from and I am receiving some samples this week. The `tubing we are finalising what we think is the correct part.

Thanks. Eagerly awaiting!

Regarding the antenna cable. Because of the nature of it it may be impossible to identify was used on screen however we certainly will be using a part that heavily resembles the CE part.

Yes, and we have spent a lot of time at looking at getting the correct wrap, lay and threading of the cable, as per the CE prop. We will detail that in the next part of the thread.

When are you guys gonna let us know about the Alice straps as soon on page one.. last item for me to order.. have a set of the camo ones but the pictures posted makes me wonder if thats right...  please let us know!!  

Thanks Again

Steve

Yes you need the forest LC-1 camo straps. Extra padded with a quick release on each strap. The straps identity was discovered a couple of months ago and you can find information on them on other threads here on white armour. Send me a PM and show me your straps and I will confirm if they are correct :)

Edited by mr paul
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if there is someone working on the actual new Stormtrooper armour, or is it a case of individuals converting FX etc?

Hi ScouseTrooper,

BackStage Props may make one in the future although this is not confirmed. If it anything like their shoretrooper helmet and armour, or their Hover Tank Trooper helmet then it would be an amazing set of kit. Aside from BSP I am unaware of any real serious efforts to replicate the R1 TK armour at this time. Mr paul will likely know more.

Best,

ireachy

• Like 1

Looking forward to your findings on the ALICE Pack and Shoulder Straps. Patiently waiting... :popcorn:

P.S. I believe I may have identified the type of tubing used for the antenna "cable". I'd like to share my observations with you.

• Like 2

Looking forward to your findings on the ALICE Pack and Shoulder Straps. Patiently waiting... :popcorn:

P.S. I believe I may have identified the type of tubing used for the antenna "cable". I'd like to share my observations with you.

Alice pack will be the next build component following the Antenna build which I will be posting up tonight. Will be interested to see if your antenna cable ideas tally with our investigations and multiple build trials :-)

Antenna

This section focuses on the construction of the antenna for the Rogue One Jedha large back pack.

The identification of the found part Avanti Precision 12ft 3-part float rod as the base of the antenna prop enabled a relatively rapid build of the antenna itself. The experience that the team had gained through the construction of mr paul’s version 1.0 antenna meant that many of our observations could be rapidly applied and adjusted for the CE accurate v2.0.

Overview_zpsuafbaysu.jpg

The antenna consists of just three components:

1.      The Avanti Precision 12ft 3-part float rod;

2.      Silicon tubing for the ‘cable’ that runs up and is wrapped around the rod; and

3.      Small plastic end cap.

The Fishing Rod

This part has been described in a previous post - http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39073-celebration-europe-2016-rogue-one-stormtrooper-back-pack-build/page-3

It is important to note that the top-most eye at the very tip of the Precision rod is not part of the CE prop antenna. This has been removed. Measuring from the top of the whipping on the next eye down (2nd eye from the tip), the rod is cut off at a distance of approximately 50mm up.

The CE rod also appears to have been cut or broken a few mm below the bottom of the lowest most whipping which has an eye, near the end section of the rod i.e. the eye and whipping closest to the open end of the rod top section (the 1st eye counting from the open end).

Rod%20end_zpsbm4shpjf.jpg

rod%20break_zpsyedtmgsw.jpg

Originally we thought the rod had been cut here, but looking at the pic above it is just possible that the rod may have been accidentally broken? The cut-line is not even, but appears jagged and fractured, and is not what one expects.

This build thread is concerned with construction of an accurate CE version of the pack, however, in this case it may be prudent to not actually cut through your rod at this location. We state this as promotional pictures and the Hot Toys version of the Jedha large back pack trooper are now showing that at least one of the other screen seen packs has a much higher (longer) antenna than the one used on the CE pack. 

Wrap%20heights_zpsfmq94oda.jpg

Also it appears that the bottom of the antenna rod may extend down further alongside the pack than the one on the CE prop. It may be that part of the upper section of the rod’s middle component may actually be used to boost the antenna upwards, and extend downwards? However this is conjecture at the moment, based on a few images from Topps trading cards and the Hot Toys figure.

HT%20pack%20rod%20end_zpsv4yyztcz.jpg

The team mentions these anomalies as we would hate builders to cut the rod, only to find out after the film has been released that the bottom end of the rod top section should actually be present i.e. only absent on the CE prop due to accidental damage. Of course if you are looking to replicate the CE pack exactly, then a partial cut and then snap will provide an accurate replica.

The Antenna Cable

This section assumes that the top-most end eye of the Precision rod has already been cut off at – as previously described.

To replicate the antenna cable the team have identified black silicone tubing as the closest material used. The cable has to be able to be threaded through the fishing rod eyes, be wrapped around part of the rod – showing a distinctive lay and shape to the wraps – and shows ‘pinching’ as it is threaded through the three top-most eyes. Solid core cable has not been able to replicate these characteristic features. Only silicone tubing has been able to give the correct feel to the cable.

During the v1.0 build 4mm ID / 6mm OD black silicone tubing was used for the cable. However, this was not being used with the found part Precision rod, and the eyes used were of an incorrect diameter. Further, the 4mm ID tubing showed a glaring inconsistency when wrapped around the rod. On the CE antenna the wrapping between the 2nd and 3rd from bottom eyes has a distinctive shape and form – the wraps show some flattening of the cable profile, but the general shape is held and there is a slight convex profile across the cable.

CE%20wrap_zpskabb10ju.jpg

Wrap%20zoom_zpsxtsb74dr.jpg

When the 4mm ID silicone tubing was wrapped around a rod the profile of the tubing does not replicate that seen on the CE prop. The 4mm ID tubing is just slightly too wide and the wraps show a slightly concave profile where the walls of the tubing collapse under the tension of the wrapping. This is not CE prop accurate, it should have a slight flattened convex profile as described and seen above.

Incorrect%20wrap01_zpshoidvxdq.jpg

Incorrect%20wrap02_zpsnag9jk9z.jpg

With the Precision rod, and the size of the eyes, and the diameter of the upper section of the rod, the team suggests that 3mm ID / 5mm OD black silicone tubing is used for the antenna cable. This presents the correct wrap profile, is able to thread through the rod eyes - with some manipulation, see following - and shows the CE prop accurate pinching seen at the three top-most eyes.

DSC_0482.1_zps5mbnap78.jpg

For the CE accurate antenna 3 metres of the 3mm ID black silicone tubing is a sufficient length. If looking at a slightly taller Topps / HT antenna then it is possible that 4m of tubing will be required.

To thread the silicone tubing through the Precision rod, the ceramic-type liners in the eyes will first need to be removed. Without doing this a maximum OD of 2mm tubing is all that can be threaded through the eyes. Reference shows that this removal was done for the CE prop.

No%20eye%20liner_zpsoayjzo41.png

The lining to the eye can simply, but carefully, be removed using needle-nosed pliers to gently crack and then pull out the liner.

Eye%20liner_zpsnfvj4s8s.jpgEye%20liner%20removal_zpsxv9euwit.jpg

A point should then be cut at one end of the tubing to aid with threading and pulling it through the eyes. Start at the 3rd eye from the bottom (now the middle eye on the rod after cutting off the tip) and thread and pull through all of the upper eyes – taking care not to break the eyes - until the CE accurate thread and pinch is achieved at the three top-most eyes. These three top-most eyes are also angled upwards slightly and squeezed closer the plane of the rod. This can easily be achieved through applying pressure using pliers. Again, this should be done carefully to avoid breaking / snapping the eyes. Use reference pictures until the correct pitch and angle is achieved.

Pinch_zpsgeoqiddb.jpg

The cable / tube wrap occurs between the 3rd (now the middle eye on the rod) and the next eye below (2nd eye from the bottom of the rod). With the middle eye facing you and the tubing coming down out of the eye wrap the tubing around to left and behind the rod. This will then give the correct orientation of the wrapping as it winds down around the rod for 13 turns. The 14th turn comes around the right side of the rod (with the eyes facing you) and feeds down through the eye (the 2nd eye from the bottom). Remember to apply enough pressure to the wraps to get the correct shape and profile to the cable and try and ensure that the wraps are tidy and evenly spaced apart.

CE%20vs%20mr%20paul_zpsczq8vgrv.jpg

As you can see in the pic above mr paul’s v2.0 antenna wraps still need some tidying  :) 

Exiting the 2nd eye from the bottom the tubing then falls down the rod and is threaded down through the bottom-most eye and out. The surplus cable will be tucked away tidily when the antenna is attached to the build pack. On the CE pack this was tucked into one of the Alice pack right-hand-side webbing patches.

Rod%20end%20cable_zpsznwdy6w5.jpg

On the HT figure the cable end appears to be tucked into the edge of the ammo box.

HT%20pack%20cable%20tidy_zpscsejtext.jpg

Antenna End Cap

The tip of the antenna has an end cap. It should be recognised that there is very little detailed reference of this end cap. Identification of the part, or characteristics of the part, have been attempted whilst allowing for the pitch and angle of photographs taken at CE, and making consideration of the lighting at the venue.The team has approximated the outer dimensions and inner diameter using the width of the rod and comparison to top-most whipping. These are:

1.      Cap height of 10-12mm;

2.      4-5mm OD; and

3.      2.0-2.5mm ID.

We also believe that it is possibly a black plastic style tip rather than rubber one, due to shine and reflective characteristic of the CE prop. The end cap has a noticeable ‘step-out’ from the rod and we believe has parallel sides.

14885866_1805100906441213_161464330_n_zp

Several end caps have been sourced and tried, and investigations are still proceeding with a new focus on CB radio aerial caps etc.

Antenna%20cap%20comp%20shot_zpsdcchrjzn.

Suppliers

Silicone tubing:

3-4m of black silicone tubing 3mm ID / 5mm OD - listed as radiator hose on automotive sites and also listed for commercial kitchen appliances on some site. Fleabay should turn up the correct tubing but beware that many listings of 3mm ID tubing have a 7mm OD which is too large.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Metre-Silicone-Vacuum-Hose-Turbo-Radiator-Rubber-Air-Vac-Pipe-Auto-Tubing-Hot-/162022955706?var=&hash=item25b9521aba:m:m23C6xSjCJM2vgcEXG4ouvw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-Vacuum-Hose-Silicone-Turbo-Dump-Radiator-Rubber-Air-Vac-Pipe-Tubing-UK-Sale-/152017477960?var=&hash=item2364f2a148:m:mDwesD15p3KaH5oR5sAatVw

End cap:

Part still to be identified. Various online suppliers of plastic end caps and CB aerial caps tried.

We are suggesting that any ideas that builders have regarding the antenna end cap can be discussed in the pack found part thread as well as here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38162-rogue-one-stormtrooper-back-pack-part-found/page-8

PP%20CE%20comp_zpswpssjnwb.jpg

mr paul on the left with the v2.0 pack and CE on the right.

The next part of the build will focus on the Alice soft pack component of the CE pack.

ireachy

Edited by ireachy
  • Like 3

As Ian stated "Superb" work on this thread, great job everyone :jc_doublethumbup:  

On another note, and not to be a negative Nancy here but the armor used R1 is a bit different than the OTTK regardless of how similar they look. The backpack is an extension of the R1 armor and if the backpack is accurate you would expect the armor to be also. The fans may not know the difference however, LFL and Disney will, and will be watching. Will they care? not sure, though with LFL and Disney screen accuracy is everything. Please confirm with your local garrison if it is appropriate and acceptable to wear your OTTK costume with the R1 backpack at any premiere events.

Just a thought. Carry on  :salute:

I found some black 5mmOD tubing used for fish tank filters at my local home center. It looks like it will work well and its flat black like an electrical cable. I found that if I ran an additional thinner tuber through the black tube I could get the wrapped part with a decent looking profile. Also I am experimenting with running aluminum wire through the tube so the part where it wraps around the pole will stay in place with the correct profile. 

Another attempt was buying actual black cable wire and pull out the dual,wires inside but this did not work well and I had to abandon the idea. The cable looks better but it would require a lot of work to pull those wires out. 

Just thought to share what I found.

s5110_zpsx9dy2w4y.jpg

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 2

As Ian stated "Superb" work on this thread, great job everyone :jc_doublethumbup:  

On another note, and not to be a negative Nancy here but the armor used R1 is a bit different than the OTTK regardless of how similar they look. The backpack is an extension of the R1 armor and if the backpack is accurate you would expect the armor to be also. The fans may not know the difference however, LFL and Disney will, and will be watching. Will they care? not sure, though with LFL and Disney screen accuracy is everything. Please confirm with your local garrison if it is appropriate and acceptable to wear your OTTK costume with the R1 backpack at any premiere events.

Just a thought. Carry on  :salute:

I don't completely disagree with you because I know how Disney and Lucasfilm can be in certain cases, but on the other hand complete accuracy is not always a requirement is some cases. I have a friend who trooped a Kylo Ren costume on the premiere of TFA that was not exactly screen accurate. And to be specific on the topic of OT TKs being represented as R1 TKs Disney kind of seems to be all over the map right now at this point. At least in terms of action figures, and I realize when it comes to costuming it's a bit of a different story, especially with official Disney events/locations. There are also aspects of design & production costs/saving when it comes to toys as the designs, molds and other production processes have already been set up, tested and successfully launched before. All that is really needed is a new packaging design. I realize this is probably why the new details were seen as negligible minor differences and completely omitted on some figures and on others seen as important defining details and include all new changes in great accuracy.

As you can see here, this is an 18" Rogue One Stormtrooper Figure from the "Big-Figs" series made by Jakks Pacific.

pTRU1-23539522_alternate1_dt.jpg

The Helmet and Armor are OT as you can see, OT Ab buttons, No flashlight on the blaster ect, ect. The whole figure and blaster is actually quite accurate to ANH. But this is probably because this not a "New" figure, Disney released this exact same figure already before with different Star Wars Rebels themed packaging, they also made the same figure in a 31" size with the same Star Wars Rebels themed packaging. I own both 18" and 31" versions.

star_wars_giant_size_stormtrooper_jakks_

Even more interesting on the other hand they obviously do care about accuracy somewhat because at that time when they were first released some and I do mean only some of these figures were also released with a cartoon style head in which the helmet looked exactly like the Rebels animated series they were meant to represent. But then the body armor was still OT style not animated? kind of weird looking figure actually and even further evidence that Disney is all over the map and does not always require complete accuracy. Obviously none of these "New" Rogue One figures will have this animated style head seen below.

165a426d-d3da-4915-b599-c094386d3535_1.6

Here is a comparison photo of the two different heads on the same body side by side. OT helmet on the left, Rebels animated series helmet on the right.

20141206_173528.jpg

Now on the other hand and to prove that Disney is truly all over the map with the accuracy in Lucasfilm Licenced toys. I must also point out there is a new Rogue One 12" (1:6 scale) figure made by Hasbro in which all the new R1 armor details seem to be represented quite accurately. All in all very accurate except for one small detail on the blaster which actually seems to be taken from an existing E-11 mold designed for another 1/6th scale stormtrooper figure. A smaller version of the exact same blaster for a 1/12th scale figure also exists.

999999-630509467655_1.jpg

I have this Rogue One figure and it is very accurate to all the new details in R1 armor, even the black body suit is ribbed!, the lenses are painted very dark green not black, the ear bumps are very accurate, Ab buttons are Rogue One accurate, straight tube stripes not curved that are actually in the correct location and accurately indented, and narrow drop boxes! It's actually impressively accurate. The jet pack is interesting as it remains to be seen if jump troopers will even be in the movie or not, it almost appears to be inspired by the jet packs in the latest Star Wars Battlefront video game but it's actually designed after the jet packs worn by the Sky Troopers that appear in the Disney Star Tours II 3-D attraction ride http://www.figures.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=94272&stc=1&d=1370539070. The figure even has a holster that the blaster fits in, but speaking of the blaster unfortunately it doesn't have the flashlight. A mold from another ANH figure seems to have been used. The "Saga Legends" series included this exact same blaster before Disney acquired Lucasfilm.  Here is the figure I believe that blaster mold was designed for; the 3-3/4" Saga Legends SL-11 figure.

sl11_stormtrooper_03.jpg

Below is the 12" (1:6 scale) version of that same figure, but notice the blaster is a ROTJ style E-11. Evidence that Lucasfilm wasn't always exactly 100% accurate with their toys even before Disney acquired them. Clearly ANH Stormtrooper with a ROTJ blaster, that's not even allowed by 501st standards.

718XZkA6%2BeL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by SlyFox740

I don't completely disagree with you because I know how Disney and Lucasfilm can be in certain cases, but on the other hand complete accuracy is not always a requirement is some cases. I have a friend who trooped a Kylo Ren costume on the premiere of TFA that was not exactly screen accurate. And to be specific on the topic of OT TKs being represented as R1 TKs Disney kind of seems to be all over the map right now at this point. At least in terms of action figures, and I realize when it comes to costuming it's a bit of a different story, especially with official Disney events/locations. There are also aspects of design & production costs/saving when it comes to toys as the designs, molds and other production processes have already been set up, tested and successfully launched before. All that is really needed is a new packaging design. I realize this is probably why the new details were seen as negligible minor differences and completely omitted on some figures and on others seen as important defining details and include all new changes in great accuracy.

As you can see here, this is an 18" Rogue One Stormtrooper Figure from the "Big-Figs" series made by Jakks Pacific.

The Helmet and Armor are OT style as you can see, OT stye Ab buttons, No flashlight on the blaster ect, ect. The whole figure and blaster is actually quite accurate to ANH. But this is probably because this not a "New" figure, Disney released the exact same figure already before with different Star Wars Rebels themed packaging, they also made the same figure in a 31" size with the same Star Wars Rebels themed packaging. I own both 18" and 31" versions.

Even more interesting on the other hand they obviously do care about accuracy somewhat because at that time when they were first released some and I do mean only some of these figures were also released with a cartoon style head in which the helmet looked exactly like the Rebels animated series they were meant to represent. But then the body armor was still OT style not animated? kind of weird looking figure actually and even further evidence that Disney is all over the map and does not always require complete accuracy. Obviously none of these "New" Rogue One figures will have this animated style head seen below.

Here is a comparison photo of the two different heads on the same body side by side. OT helmet on the left, Rebels animated series helmet on the right.

Now on the other hand and to prove that Disney is truly all over the map with the accuracy in Lucasfilm Licenced toys. I must also point out there is a new Rogue One 12" (1:6 scale) figure made by Hasbro in which all the new R1 armor details seem to be represented quite accurately. All in all very accurate except for one small detail on the blaster which actually seems to be taken from an existing E-11 mold designed for another 1/6th scale stormtrooper figure. A smaller version of the exact same blaster for a 1/12th scale figure also exists.

I have this Rogue One figure and it is very accurate to all the new details in R1 armor, even the black body suit is ribbed!, the lenses are painted very dark green not black, the ear bumps are very accurate, Ab buttons are accurate, straight tube stripes not curved that are actually in the correct location, narrow drop boxes. The jet pack is interesting as it remains to be seen if jump troopers will be in the movie or not, it almost appears to be inspired by the jet packs in the latest Star Wars Battlefront video game. There's even a holster that the blaster fits in, but speaking of the blaster unfortunately it doesn't have the flashlight. A mold from another ANH figure seems to have been used. The "Saga Legends" series used this exact same blaster before Disney acquired Lucasfilm.  Here is the figure I believe that blaster mold was designed for, this is the 3-3/4" version.

Below is the 12" (1:6 scale) version of the exact same figure, but notice the blaster is a ROTJ style E-11. Evidence that Lucasfilm wasn't always exactly 100% accurate with their toys even before Disney acquired them. Clearly ANH Stormtrooper with a ROTJ blaster, that's not even allowed by 501st standards.

Again, it's up to your garrison. It's just an FYI.

Could we not derail this thread please, thank you.

Sorry to "derail" but actually I was only responding to an earlier post and providing evidence to back up my statements. Furthermore it was directly related to wearing the R1 TK Pack with your OT TK just like you Mr Paul, more specifically wearing it at an official event. Might not be about building the prop but definitely something on the minds of those who are building them, like myself. Anyways my apologies... Move Along, Move Along.

• Like 1