KCP First Order F-11D Studio Replica Blaster

Figured I would upload CAD pics of all the parts which will be machined out of aluminum. There are parts like the scope tube body, scope adjustment knobs, and the front sight cover forming block which only the masters will be machined aluminum. The scope tube body and the scope adjustment knobs on the screen used guns are cast plastic. The adjustment knobs will have steel threads though.... just like the screen guns had.

• Like 2

Was contacted yesterday by a 501st member. He wanted a blaster for an event he's doing next month. Said he wants one of my blasters. Tells me he can give me tons of PR and sales. I told him I don't even have the masters done yet. A friend (Shawn) is even flying out from CO to help produce all the molds needed for this gun. I offered to machine extra metal parts and 3D print an extra set of masters for him. He asked for a completed gun. I said it would be over 1k for a completed gun given the costs associated with making a second set of masters.... machine setup times to be worked out etc etc. <br><br>

He got angry and said.... "It's for a charity event for God's sake".<br><br>

First, I do a ton of charity work. I donate at least two expensive guns to my local police athletic league every year for the past 6 years. The last one being a $2,800 shotgun. I donate to another charity dealing with children with cancer. However, the cost associated with doing the masters is what it is. I'm not making a dime. So, needless to say I was a bit thrown back to hear this person throw a charity event in my face because he couldn't get something for nothing. Funny because he wants this so bad but doesn't want to pay to get one before anyone else... even when it's just the actual costs to produce the parts needed.<br><br>

i guess the point of posting this is to remind everyone that this is a high end replica of the actual screen used prop. If you put my blaster up against a screen used..... there is no difference. It's exact. There are a ton of machining that will go into each gun. There will be a ton of multi-part molds for each part. There is the costs of the plastic and rubber and all the metal and all the fasteners. It is what it is. I have looked at this project from every angle to figure out how to keep the costs down for you guys. However, at the end of the day, there will be a number that I just can't go under without ending up paying you guys to own one of my props. <br><br>

Once I get my masters done and start figuring out mold costs, I will be able to lock down a number for you.

• Like 4

I don't know who it is..but I may have an idea... I'm sure once I receive mine you'll get all the publicity you'll need..in a good way. People can be so needy sometimes...always need to be the first with the latest...I've built quite a few props in my time...I know how long things can take. and IMHO you are working way quicker than I could..<br><br>

It is the difference between someone who makes and someone who wants what you make..

Edited by Oztrooper
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the kind words. Yup.... been CADing for a long time. Started with Autocad in DOS. LMAO! Then Solidworks came along and I got in with them early. Been using it ever since. I was using Mastercam for programming but last year I switched over to HSM Works for Solidworks. Kills Mastercam! Love it. Been 3D printing for 17 years. My equipment over the years, with respect to printing, were all 3dSystems SLAs. Now I'm primarily Polyjet (Objet).

Looking like 35 plastic parts (5 in rubber) which would need to be molded. sigh Then you have 11 machined aluminum parts. Then 3 laser cut acrylic parts. One torch. 2 sets of electronics for both LEDs. And a shucks load of fasteners.<br><br>

I think that covers most of it.

$1,800 to run the prints on my printer. And that's just the plastic masters. I should have all those done by the 19th according to my software's estimated print times. Still knocking out the metal parts. Had to direct my attention for a little to build another couple hero guns for L's character on Death Note.

Wow, those are crazy renders. There's a lot to learn about how the parts of the original blasters interlock with each others! And to my great shame, there's even one part I'm completely unable to identify!

Some of the interlockings i added so when guys glue and screw everything together, it's one solid model. But I only added a few bosses to keep everything lined up. The screen guns were crooked in a lot of ways when the parts were glued. Again, adding a couple extra bosses keeps everything in line and solid. <br><br>

I know which part you're referring to. Lol

Okay... as I machine these metal parts, I'm noting cycle times and material costs involved. Right now... if I had 25 guys in on the run, you're looking at a little over $300 for all the machined metal parts alone. <br><br>

As for the printed plastic masters for the rest of the gun.... those I should be pulling off the printer later today. One I get those cleaned up a little, I'll take some pics.

Let me be more specific. You would be looking at a little over $300 for each set of the metal parts you would need for your blasters. That's if I had 25 guys in on the run and made at least 25 sets.<br><br>

I'm still working out the numbers for the rest of the blaster.... all the printed parts.