Camping is lame

Butah Fett

Would you camp out for a game system?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you camp out for a game system?

• Heck yes!
    • No way!
    • Can't answer, I'm too busy standing in line.

I'm getting sick of all these people who've been camping in front of my local Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City for a friggin' PS3. I mean, c'mon. Half those people are only doing it so they can sell them on ebay.

I can understand getting in line for a couple hours, but 4 days? How do people get off work for these sort of things? I'll probably try to get a Wii, but I'm not going to be in line for days for one. If 2 hours (and the fact that I have a little insider info) isn't good enough and I don't get it, no big deal. I still have other games I'm working on.

What's the big deal of having it first anyway? I had a launch day PS2 when they came out, getting it first didn't make having it any better... trust me. Launch game line ups are usually sub-par, at best.

</rant>

They're unemployed or students. Most likely the reason they are unemployed is they played games at work instead of working.

I've also seen a lot of techies who played games all evenings/weekends instead of investing in their skillsets, only to find that they no longer have the relevant skills to stay employed.

There's this wonderous concept of pre-ordering that seems to work for most.

Yeah man that?s figging crazy!, there?s so much other better stuff that you could be spending your time with...I guess I'm a kind of connoisseur of what can be done in your spare time :) ...because most of you know how I spend my spare time... :duim::pint1:

Yeah man that's figging crazy!, there's so much other better stuff that you could be spending your time with...I guess I'm a kind of connoisseur of what can be done in your spare time :) ...because most of you know how I spend my spare time... :duim::pint1:

DxMN, Bernard, I am getting to like you more and more. Not only do we vote the same, but our reason is the same... :pint1: AND... you have the coolest avatar! TK in action... gotta love it!

I voted yeah, but as I found out today, its not so bad an idea. I checked on Ebay Express this afternoon and the 60GB was priced as high as $5,000. In my opinion paying that much is crazier than standing in line.

I voted yeah, but as I found out today, its not so bad an idea. I checked on Ebay Express this afternoon and the 60GB was priced as high as $5,000. In my opinion paying that much is crazier than standing in line.

It may be, but if you have to have it and are dumb enough to spend that much money on a system instead of waiting a few months when you can get them readily at any retail store, then you have more issues than waiting in a line for days.

DUDE!!! its like buying a new car...its going to depreciate in value over time, never gaining in value, especially as new technology comes about ya know...no ones going to care if you were there in line to pic it up on opening night in ten years :rolleyes: its like saying that you were in line for the first ever VCR sold & you got it!...Who cares, ya know :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've never waited outside of anything for more than 15 minutes or so, and that was usually for a show. (ya know, like a concert?) As far as waiting for a video game system or even a certain movie franchise hells no! Just buy it in a week or two. I don't get it. Maybe it has something to do with the job, family, friends and hobby. :lol: Camping out to buy something, or buying it at 7 times the price on ebay just to have it a few days early? Sorry; can't relate.

I waited out side for 2 days for ps3 i was bodygurading someone and i was payed well for my time, infact i was also given a free 60 gig ps3 for free.. and i do have a normal job just so ya know :P

and i am also self employed.

And to say that it will lose vaul over time that can be said of everything. i have vader helmets that at one time where worth well over 1200 bucks now they have droped to 700 to a grand.

And also take into account you may think the people waiting in line for PS3 are crazy think of how many people think we are crazy for walking around in a stromtrooper costume. :rolleyes:

And i dont see how someone camping outside effects anyone else the only thing it says to me is these people can get the time off and have the cash to spend on it.

It tells me those people are money hungry console scalpers who can't wait to get it and put it on ebay to get some sucker to pay twice it's asking price.

That is true a lot of people that where there to make a quick buck, I did met one guy who wanted to sell it to take his family to Disney world. The money he was hoping to get was to pay for the familles tickets. Everyone else there as far as I know only 3 of them kept the system for them self's me and friend of mine and some teenager.

Also theirs a chance people need the money for good reason...

I know very few

If it makes you feel any better because I know it makes me feel better. All of the people who did stand in line to rip other people off on ebay have killed there sales ebay is now over running with PS3s for sale now, so no one is biding anything over 800 ;) still more then the retail price but no where near 3grand

But i have seen some go for around 800 for a 60gig system with 2 games and a controller

the seller ends up losing money ;)

That does make me feel better tha people are losing money on the deal. Kind of silly, why lose money on it rather than return it to the store for a full refund? On well, I'm quite happy with the Wii and everyone who's played mine have all become quickly addicted to it and either call me all the time to play or are hunting to find one for themselves.

I was at EB the day after the PS3 launch buying a game for my PS2, and I know the manager there pretty well, as I'm always buying some game or another...

He asked me if I wanted anything else. I made a joke and said "Yeah, a PS3."

He lowered his voice and leaned forawrd. "Really? We've got one in the back."

I thought he was kidding. Until he opened the door to the stockroom and had me lean around. And there it sat, a PS3.

I asked him if it was for sale, it was. I laughed and told him I'd probably only sell it on Ebay because I didn't want one right away.

And because I didn't have the money. Bet it sold by now, though.

Hah, that's awesome! I'm with you. I'm totally looking forward to getting a PS3... but I do want to wait until games that are worth it are out. No point shelling out $600 now for a system that won't get much for me until sometime in late 2007 or 2008.