HWT Pack Build - SheaJeff

I'm starting to build my pack while waiting on my armor, and wanted to make sure I started out right, so I'm starting this thread off with some confirmation questions.

I ordered the oil drain pan from Bavarian and then I found various plastic containers and such.

My question; will the pieces shown be acceptable? (once painted and detailed).  I want to be sure before I get too far down the road on this.

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1369_1.jpg

Also, I'm wondering if I could use the endcap on the RIGHT for the each end of the side tube?  I like the more industrial look that the ribs add.

If not, can I use the closed endocap? (the one on the left)

I really don't like the look of taking a regular coupling and just cutting it in half.

Please advise.  Thanks.

IMG_1358.jpg

As for the boxes I would a say no as they have handles and aren't quite the right size. Check out what others have done by looking at packs that have passed. For the caps the ribs do look cool but you have the threads showing so that would be hard to deal with. I used a coupling and sanded down to the built in stop and made a interior plug so it looked like a TD cap, sorta. Check out my EIB for photos. Fumantroops pack is right up there too. Good luck!

Great to hear you are going for HWT, Shea!  I can see a few potential problems with this, but nothing that can't be overcome...  As for the plastic containers, some will not match the pack shown in the CRL for approval.  We strive for continuity, and there are a few great threads in the HWT section for pack builds.  Some have chosen to do their "own version", but the CRLs are there for a reason.  For instance, if you are at a troop with another HWT, the packs not looking (at least nearly) the same just doesn't look right to the public, (or other Troopers), so it's best to follow the main example as closely as possible.  I would take the time to more closely check out the pack builds, especially Charles' (Templar726) and Tony's (ukswrath).   If you need any help, just PM me, and I can supply more information.  

These are the sizes of mine, Shea.  I used the same set of "Pop-It" boxes as Tony did, (  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30034-hwt-backpack-build-part-1/ )  and they worked out perfect.

Top left:  4 x 5.5

Bottom left-  8 X 11

Top right- 7 X 4.5

Middle right- 5.5 X 8

If you have any more questions, just let me know!

• Like 1

You are correct Allan, the Pop-It set came with all of the boxes needed except the large one.  I got that exact one described in Tony's thread at Michael's craft store on sale for 2 bucks.

I like the idea of the project boxes from Radio Shack but the cost adds up pretty quick.

This one is a pretty good fit for the radio size but it's $20!

11.4" x 8.3" x 3.1"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LGKG1BA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0FWqxbB5PG2C1

I looked at Michael's but I'll have to go back and look again

Edited by SheaJeff

Actually, the "photo storage" box from Michael's can be hard to find there,  I had to ask someone where they were located.  You may be thinking "Wow, it's just cardboard, and won't last long...", BUT.. If you use the 12 x 12 "stick-on" tiles from Lowe's or Home Depot as I did (borrowed from Charles' build) http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30222-templars-hwt-pack-build/ it makes them quite sturdy.  It is a little more work, and you will have to use a heavy duty razor knife to cut out the sections, but the results are great.  I also used these same tiles for the fronts of the other boxes where needed.  Just make sure to get the smooth tiles.  They run about 70 cents apiece or so, if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

So I received the PopIt containers from Amazon as others have used.  Now I need to figure out which sizes to put where.

Please advise; option 1 (with the smaller sizes at the top) or 2 (with the bigger sizes):

Option 1:

FullSizeRender%204.jpg

Option 2:

IMG_4934.jpg

Will the top of this cup work or do I need to change it to be more like the funnel top?

(this one looks more like the TD packs and I'm wondering if it would be acceptable for a HWT pack)

IMG_2688.jpg

Just glue a flat piece of plastic on top and you will be good to go!  I actually glued a cap from a bleach bottle in the center of mine...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Making good progress on the backpack.

I'm pretty happy with the way the vent turned out.  I used some Plastruct channel and an thin textured ABS sheet with some small pieces of scraps from the armor (for the spacers).

CC2D91F0-85D0-40ED-849C-925A776A9B86.jpg

3D2C4141-FEED-48F1-BE97-4279952028BC.jpg

B6FC2D91-6B8F-4ABD-AE7E-C802A21D1117.jpg

AA657104-EC65-481B-9E9B-B9FD86D27AC0.jpg

Looking GREAT, Shea!  Awesome job, sir!!!   :jc_doublethumbup:  As for the knobs, I would stick with the milk jug caps or something similar... A big glob of E-6000 underneath each one will hold them on nicely.