Opinions on pouldrons

TK4466

I know the majority of people probably feel that they are a "Sandtrooper only" item. What I'm wondering is what are your feelings on the non-dirty troopers wearing them. The 501st is full of non sandys wearing pouldrons (myself included from time to time).

My feeling is Sandys aren't dirty all the time. Eventually they have to go back to base and like any military would be responsible for keeping their gear and armor clean. The dirt on a Sandy is not camoflage (sp?) it's simply dirt.

What say you?

This issue has been argued endlessly on the MEPD boards with the conclusion that in order to meet its deployment standards, a pauldron is required because the majority of those on screen wore one.

However within the context of setting canon deployment standards for FISD, it should likewise be based on the film and no where does it instance any clean troopers with a pauldron. Deductive a priori reasoning says yes, a TD must've been clean before getting dirty but again, no objective evidence in the film to support it. The whole purpose of setting up FISD was to set higher canon standards which would eliminate any ambiguity as to questions whether a clean TK with pauldron is acceptable. The legion may tolerate it, especially for non-canon events but I'm finding detachments to be more parochial.

<FACTS>

The costume definition for a 501st TK does not include pauldron, or anything not seen on screen. The TK costume is based strictly on what was in the movies, and this is all there is too it. Once you start adding props, you're now in the realm of TX. For the same reason a clean sandtrooper is not a sandtrooper, it is considered an EU heavy weapons trooper and will also be considered a TX.

</FACTS>

<OPINION>

My understanding is that people started accessorizing their TK's because at a certain point the TK costume was considered too boring or deficient in some way and needed fixing to look cool. Since I've never had the urge to do it, I can't say exactly why.

For me I think the costume is perfectly worthy of respect the way it is and part of the fun of being a TK is being part of a squad of TK's. When I want to stand out, I wear a costume that is meant to be customized.

</OPINION>

In the end your costume is just that - yours. As long as you're not doing a canon event, you should feel free to wear it in the way that makes you most happy as long as it doesn't violate any 501st rules.

I sport the orange pauldron from time to time, but I agree with the fact that TKs are clean.

I dont like the handle TX, i never saw them in the movies. ;)

I think (opinion time) that accessorys are great in non canon things, and it makes a costume diffrent for contests and things. Thats mostly when i wear mine. I have a sandy pack, ammo pouches and pauldron. When i get a call to troop as a group, ill go clean.

I think to do one or the other you must do it right, ab plate, dirt, hand plates, knee armor, the works.

Just my opinion though. :)

<FACTS>

The costume definition for a 501st TK does not include pauldron, or anything not seen on screen. The TK costume is based strictly on what was in the movies, and this is all there is too it. Once you start adding props, you're now in the realm of TX. For the same reason a clean sandtrooper is not a sandtrooper, it is considered an EU heavy weapons trooper and will also be considered a TX.

</FACTS>

Actually, if I remember correctly, to be accepted as a TD in the 501st you need to have a pauldron and ammo pouches. That's pretty much it. It's a requirement of the MEPD to have a backpack, correct ab plate, sniper plate, and most of all, be dirty. I know a couple people who have been granted an TD designation without many of the things listed above, most notibly the lack of dirt.

But you might want to check with your GML on that one.

Actually all costume base requirements for the 501st are under review. The full list of current MEPD requirements is here: http://www.mepd.net/require/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...
tk8020 said:
Actually all costume base requirements for the 501st are under review. The full list of current MEPD requirements is here: http://www.mepd.net/require/index.htm

IMHO I don't think a TK should wear a pauldron to canon events, because it's not in any of the movies. Like it's been stated above, it's YOUR costume wear it how you like at non-canon events.

I'm MEPD deployed and I can tell you that a LOT of work goes into getting a TD rig qualified for deployment.

Now if you'll excuse me... I'm on my coffee break! :pint1:

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

IMHO I don't think a TK should wear a pauldron to canon events

That part is not in question. The TK costume in canon configuration is indisputably unadorned. Also, it's been established that a TK with a pauldron is now considered a TX. That really should be the end of the argument.

• 1 month later...
That part is not in question. The TK costume in canon configuration is indisputably unadorned. Also, it's been established that a TK with a pauldron is now considered a TX. That really should be the end of the argument.

What exactly is TX, is it EU characters? Is it anything we just don't know what to do with, or is it actually special ops? Or is it something else entirely?

In a nutshell, TX is meant to cover any Expanded Universe trooper. This includes spec ops. A huge swathe of ever increasing territory to be sure, but Kevin & the boys in the SpecOps Det are up to the challenge if anyone is. :)

So if TK's have no pauldrons in canon. And TX's are EU characters. And the EU is canon. Then wouldn't TK's with pauldrons be excluded from being TX, as they are not canon and therefore don't exist in the expanded universe (at least until some author picks it up)? :huh:

In sum, TK's with pauldrons are documented in various EU sources and so are permitted as an acceptable costume type in the 501st Legion. Whether or not they are TK or TX is merely a costume designator as established by the Legion. The canon stormtrooper costume is an established reference that we see on film, and has been assigned a TK identifier. IOW, a costume and designator don't always match. This has been a source of confusion in the past, as there used to be a 1:1 matching, but not there isn't.

even with all the EU stuff popping up all the time (SW Rebellion from Darkhorse)shows TK Commanders with Pauldrons..but i'm for the no Pauldron group.......

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021