jonhaag's ANOVOS TK Build (1st Timer - Have Shims, Will Travel)

Small update for tonight - summer classes started up this week, so I've been getting up and running with those (hooray for going back to college in your 30s...).

I spent part of the night working on a fan bracket only to realize that the fans I bought, little 50mm blowers, are way too loud inside the bucket. So that whole project is shelved until I get the fan kit I ordered tonight from ukswrath.

After that, I worked on adjusting a few snap plate placements to get my back pieces to all align better. The big project was then cutting out new side shims based on the latest guidelines for how those should look (check ukswrath' build thread).

ee0eaba398da0df28b00a8cdf5a9f1b1.jpg

They're not tiny, but they are a necessary evil for now. I cut out the side's return edge in order to get everything flush between the two pieces.

7c52546a08a2facf95b51050a2923162.jpg

72b60c051f1487864b509c9fdb59ef47.jpg

Of course, due to how the kidney is shaped, they shims flare out a good little bit. I'm hoping that they will be tamed once they're held in place with the belt when the torso all comes together.

I ran out clamps and magnets, otherwise I would have finished up adding snap plates to the chest and cod piece too. Ah well, that's up next.

Back is all strapped up (aside from the cod to butt connection):

aee8b005e2ce2ddf377f7842cc713d0a.jpg

The shims are big, but after test fitting just the back I think I'll be able to trim then down a little once I see how they sit with the cod piece.

Time for a big picture update!

Last night I worked on adding (almost) the last snaps and bits to the torso armor. I did some test fitting of the chest & cod pieces, taped them to hold the general shape I wanted, and added snap plates and the shoulder straps:

2016-05-23-22.04.30.jpg

Glued applied to the snap plate and the bridges of the shoulder strap:

2016-05-23-22.05.57.jpg

All clamped up and installed:

2016-05-23-22.22.25.jpg

2016-05-23-22.22.40.jpg

2016-05-23-22.26.48.jpg

2016-05-23-22.30.31.jpg

After letting everything dry and cure overnight, I installed the male snaps for the belt and tried suiting up and had the wife take some pictures:

2016-05-24-15.13.04.jpg

2016-05-24-15.13.21.jpg

2016-05-24-15.13.35.jpg

2016-05-24-15.13.46.jpg

2016-05-24-15.13.54.jpg

2016-05-24-15.15.51.jpg

Notes and observations from the fitting:

- Yes, I still have the plastic protective covering on there. Don't judge... Also, Once I get things fit how I like, I'll be going through and sanding up the edges of the armor with my Dremel, so some things may still look rough.

- Speaking of rough, the top of the back piece doesn't sit super well on me, and so the edges dig in to my shoulders as you can see in the last picture. I still need to add the white elastic to hold down the shoulder straps there, but I really think I will need to raise up the back piece some and maybe reshape those top shoulder bits just a little to make it sit on my body better.

- Side shims worked out surprisingly well. I will need to trim them down just a little, but I made them a bit longer than what I measured out on purpose just in case I needed more once I did the fitting. All told, I'm actually pretty happy with how it looks to start out with (seams showing, not color matched yet, etc.). I was worried it would all look terrible on me since I'm not a small dude, but it kinda works (aside from the back piece sitting weird).

- I still need to add the cod to butt elastic connection. I tried using the included ANOVOS strap and very quickly realized that was just a weeeee bit too short. I'll be hitting up JoAnn's this afternoon to buy some black elastic for that and white elastic for the shoulders.

- Finally: the ANOVOS belt really is a flimsy P.O.S.! As you can see in the pictures, I did need to add a temporary extension for fitting purposes until I can order a replacement. Industrial velcro on some nylon webbing did the trick.

Feeling really good with the progress I'm making. Still a bunch more to go, but still feeling good.

For the back piece you should use the hot water bath method to reshape the curves so they fit better. Check out ukswrath's thread for a good tutorial on how to do that. Make sure you trim the return edge on the side where he mentions it, or else you'll risk getting cracks (which happened to me). 

I tried to keep the plastic covering on my armor until I was finished but it just got too annoying, especially when trying to pull off painter's tape. After a few weeks I just pulled it all off and was much happier during my build  :P

• Like 1

For the back piece you should use the hot water bath method to reshape the curves so they fit better. Check out ukswrath's thread for a good tutorial on how to do that. Make sure you trim the return edge on the side where he mentions it, or else you'll risk getting cracks (which happened to me).

Conveniently it looks like that is the specific part being discussed today in his thread too. :-o

I tried to keep the plastic covering on my armor until I was finished but it just got too annoying, especially when trying to pull off painter's tape. After a few weeks I just pulled it all off and was much happier during my build :P

It hasn't really gotten in the way yet, so I just keep forgetting to pull it off as I work. I'll probably pull it off the torso pieces today though. Edited by jonhaag

Gave the tops of the back plate the hot water bath treatment got them bent up a little to remove that near-90 degree angle shoulder.

ae51b09540a2a915736f6a5680c371af.jpg

Also used the hot water bath again to give a slight bend to my bicep shims before I reinstalled them:

8c8e4c55dc79b1ff262b281c9309553f.jpg

5e3e72d649d07a8d7b8077dec903e1da.jpg

Time for more rough test fitting! First time putting on an almost completed torso assembly.

613b5f197db65db1f15d965cef82a1c5.jpg

Note that aside from the shoulder to bell connection (and the elastic shoulder bell retaining strap around the bicep), the arms are not strapped. I still need to install the cod to posterior strap as well, so that isn't as tight at the bottom as it will be once done.

The bells, like I've seen many others deal with, sit further out from the chest than I'd like. That's something I'll need to work on in time. After shimming, I'm still a little worried about how the biceps fit, but I will wait to pass judgment until I strap them to the bells. I also think I may ultimately need to take a little length off of the forearms based on how they were bumping up against the hand guards (but again, I need to see how they sit once strapped).

Now onto the back:

48ef779ef6ac6db8acf91f444a87506b.jpg

I adjusted the strapping for the posterior plate and in generally happy with how it sits. The water bath treatment and trimming the return edges of the shoulders made a huge difference in fit and comfort. I need to tighten up the elastic that holds down the shoulder bridges, but they sit alright considering they free float.

And yes, I'm getting ready to order a properly sized belt now that I remembered to take measurements this time.

6faaf886fbd93eb67b8db788b0d5163c.jpg

As far as the side goes, can anyone confirm that I'm reading the CRL right and the side rivets are not required? I'm going to trim an inch or two off the side shims to leave just a minimal gap, but I don't want to worry about the rivers if not necessary as it will make trimming the shims as I go easier.

• Like 1

Lots of progress on various odds and ends over the past few days...

Began the process of adding shims to the back of my thighs using plastic cut from some No Parking signs.

c03b2b24b1a38be0d0121f9cdff95f1d.jpg

Measured and cut:

e8decc1afab38beba3b1c83e4b739b6c.jpg

And inserted to create a tapered shape:

99537c49bb938765e3df4f97487ddab3.jpg

63af34fea5824c63f5180068c1d54e1e.jpg

Shims in place:

bbf5742c14d901ad77a192ab2a27ccaa.jpg

Test fitting them worked out pretty well. I will need to trim the tops of both the front and backs of the thighs. I'll also need to do a proper cut out at the bottom of the rears to allow for me to be able to bend my knees. I will be paint the shims with color-matched paint and adding a faux cover strip down the middle. Long term plan is to blend the seams via ABS paste.

I also began strapping my arms by adding the bicep to forearm connections with snapped straps:

96693849317de7240878d8f812c8c67e.jpg

514b35f81067efe6a964ed5786fd07e1.jpg

Depending on how that works out after a troop or two, I may just remove the snaps and just adhere the elastic straight to the ABS.

Last bit of work was beginning assembly of my final major body part pieces, the shins. I installed the front cover strips:

94a7614074b726e1f23bbd2b1d096315.jpg

bfda0fdf18381c73792139e2eb7ffbc6.jpg

Once these front strips are cured, I will test fit with my boots on the determine how big of a shim I'll need. Rough estimate right now is about a 3" shim for each, which isn't too terrible. I also need to add interior cover strips to both the shins and thighs to add more strength, something that I think will be especially necessary considering how much flexing will come from taking the shin pieces on and off.

Next on the agenda? I've got a TKittel replacement/expanded belt showing up this weekend, so I get to do that swap soon. I'm also redoing my shoulder strap and shoulder bell connection based on issues I noticed during my first torso & arm test fit.

Edited by jonhaag

More bits of progress, mainly on the calf pieces. Cut out some shims from the same material I used for the thighs and stuck on the inside of the outer pieces for both calf:

e00d0486759037313c353940828d61e8.jpg

After those cured, had my wife take some pics of them on my legs without any closure mechanism on the opposite sides:

63ef52041da132b6eb58a7c8851316c6.jpg

Had her take measurements for me as well to help know how to angle the application of the Velcro. Combination of good industrial strength Velcro and E6000 should keep it in place on the shim hopefully.

9aaf1cce3965d1d2b3a64bcbf06c1e87.jpg

While taking the calf pieces on and off, I noticed the front was starting to peel apart just a little from the flexing, so I cut some additional cover strips and applied them on the inside of both pieces.

769d0a1f010e676cc305b89eea70cd0c.jpg

Ran out of clamps and magnets, so I will let all of that dry and work on adding the other part of the Velcro to the inside of the calf pieces tomorrow. Hoping this will work out...

• Like 1

Looking good!!! How are you going to cover the visible joints, abs paste?

That's the plan or else use this that was recommended to me by a member of my local garrison:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-05095-Acryl-White-Putty-Tube/dp/B003P6I5KS?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0

He recommended that since I've got color matched paint, so don't need to worry about the paste matching the existing color of the ANOVOS ABS.

Thinking about the seams now though, I think I need to rethink how I do my calf shims. If I Velcro them closed using my current setup, I can't cover the seam on the inner side of my leg. I think I'm going to remove the Velcro that I added last night and glue that side of the shim to the other side of the calf. I will then split the shim in two down the middle and apply the cover strip+Velcro method that way. That will also hopefully make it a little easier to close since I'll need to open both sides equally rather than having to open one side much wider than the other due to the large shim on just one side.

I still need to give them a quick water bath to get a better shape, but right calf is done-ish:

dd3c258b3f44da4d503496a9562703de.jpg

fa86dc4f8aad87295f5a7b1a3305b05d.jpg

e2281ad2134daf198213b4ffd04ba869.jpg

I may need to pull off one of the shims and re-glue it to give myself an extra 10mm or so.

Slowly but surely coming down to the finish line. My remaining to do list is:

- Finish up left calf assembly

- Install sniper plate

- Install ammo belt

- Assemble thermal detonator

- Transplant plastic from ANOVOS belt to my TKittel belt

- Paint and install ab buttons

- Create a thigh "garter" system to replace the current Velcro/snap solution from the ANOVOS guidelines

Beyond that, there's still the hiding of the shim seams and painting. I also need to take a dremel to all of the edges to sand them down once everything is adjusted/fitted.

I was thinking I could finish most things by this weekend, but looking at my list it'll probably be another week. That works out though, since I have a local armor party lined up for a week from Saturday. :D

• Like 1

Couple more progress updates. Getting so close to the finish line!

Took advantage of some gorgeous weather the other day to start painting some of my shims:

ee4772f83fa520ab9fe42c2f02266579.jpg

Several coats later (with ANOVOS cover strip on it for reference):

8fb5e3dd4c3d1d3d5bca10e32c2ffd71.jpg

More color reference - painted shim/unpainted material/ANOVOS strip:

71d4fa2dba33fbb9feaadada50878362.jpg

And then last night I got fully suited up and took some shots of my kit in 90% completion status:

fbaa82e9e10e6a4ba3e240f1d890eedd.jpg

0a11bb273a48a23a8ff00550da0a998e.jpg

5575769ffa370b43de2d1f3ebae99a5d.jpg

Things I noticed after doing this suit up:

- Putting pieces on in the wrong order sucks thanks to needing to get stuff off and on again to get the right order.

- I need to work on loosening up the snaps for my shoulder/bell connection to make them a little easier to snap. That's a hard connection to make if I put on my bells first and then snap. Wifey got frustrated trying to do it for me, so I had to finagle it myself.

- I absolutely must switch up how my thighs are attached/put on. I'm using the ANOVOS strap with upgraded Velcro, but it still sucks to adjust. Definitely need to follow through on my previously noted belt/garter system (or suspenders as someone recommended on FB - I need to find examples of that). The left thigh is sitting low in these pictures and I'm hoping improved strapping will correct that.

- Pretty sure I need to trim just a little off the ends of my forearms. They keep hitting my hand guards.

- I need to do a smaller version of the curve at the bottom rear of my thighs to the top of my shins to make them have a consistent shape there.

- Seriously need to finish the ab to butt strap so I can make those two pieces pull closer together.

- I really need to make a final decision on how I'm going to keep my side shims in place. I really don't want to rivet them right now as I plan to trim from those ends as I continue to drop weight over the next few months.

So beyond that - any additional feedback or constructive criticism?

• Like 1

I saw that and was considering it. Still doesn't quite address my need to be able to trim the shims down over time that well.

Time for a biiiiiiig update. I've been neglecting this thread as I was making a mad dash to get my kit finished up in time to do a final suit up and take pics at a local armor party this weekend (shoutout to Garrison Tyranus). Here's pics of all of the pieces I put finishing touches on:

Ammo belt

6df4f5e9560b99f383caf5765943335b.jpg

7b6f9d399baf6ecbc9497f2e2f1730fd.jpg

Painted thigh shims and cover strips

e7c84e8c48657e7e314fef23566eb866.jpg

Sniper knee

e0a7fe3d47fc1d274f80c945a2cde897.jpg

b1b3f4315d8088e066e659ebcf68057f.jpg

987d5673d246b43db90538c189f4c506.jpg

ANOVOS to TKittel belt transplant (followed a thread here on FISD for attaching the plastic without needing to replace the rivets)

3e91022f5734f123f456cdf346aba4f6.jpg

cb00303b7dd8a6833a34738e3e4e5ae1.jpg

Thermal detonator

bca414b1fc8df201c33165a1f7b38c02.jpg

A bit of a mishap here - I used ukwrath's measurements for the butt snaps, but it looks like his snaps were smaller. Mine overlapped using his measurements, so I had to drill a new hole to make mine fit. I'll see about adding a dab of ABS paste to fill that hole soon.

8718df0ec6dc5e24c1da2c5cbbe7ecc1.jpg

I'm sure I missed a part or two, but that's been the bulk of my work for the past week or two. Which all leads up to my next post...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Submission pics from this weekend's armor party. Huge thanks to my local garrison for helping with the final suit up, adjustments, and pictures!

f6f14b9c8a1610c812743167aa88fe68.jpg

23ad312568141c890590ca20227c3643.jpg

cfa76936db48124a0bd7538bf00ef46d.jpg

a5c34a1c221d01f75580ca9023f87610.jpg

A couple notes on my pics:

- Sniper plate would not behave, but I will be installing some foam to keep it forward and in front of the thigh.

- Totally forgot to slide my ammo boxes onto the belt for pics, but as shown in my last post they are there now.

- I got the supplies for my belt/garter system to hold the thighs up better, which will help with the sniper knee too.

- I need to replace the snaps for the belt connection on my ab plate. Those are ANOVOS snaps right now, which don't work well with the Tandy snaps on the new belt. The right snap came loose during pics, but we didn't notice it until afterward.

- I will also be replacing the elastic straps on my chest to ab connection with normal straps to prevent the ab from slipping too low depending on how I'm standing or moving.

40d4edce406b70b31cf33b12aea0545e.jpg

It was realllly bright outside when we took these shots

f6abc2d9591cde56f73dd5831a821c8a.jpg

But it was all worth it, as I got my approval email from our GML this afternoon! Just waiting on my legion ID now :D

3 months of work and I'm all set* to start trooping!

*After I knock out a handful of fixes as noted plus a few more upgrades on my list...

• Like 1