DeathProof's DLT-19

Hey everyone!

Currently building a DLT-19 kit that was created by a fellow garrison member, Gattaca. 

I'm well on my way to building it. I just purchased a hyperdyne kit to add and was curious if there was someone would could give some tips on adding the electronics. 

I figure I should wait to receive the kit before I start carving out the trigger and stock. 

The other question I have is about connecting the two pieces. I thought magnets might be a good alternative but they might not be strong enough. Gattaca uses the screw through the bolt method but will that work if the connecting tube is hollowed or for the electronics? Also thought about doing the doopeydoo method by having the two pieces just screw together (adding the appropriate threads on the inside and outside)

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Edited by DeathProof

I have the hyperdyne kit in my scratch built dlt. I waited till I got the electronics. It looks like your gonna have a challenge fitting everything in. It comes hard wired all together except the LED's had a plug. It comes with a vibration motor and trigger that goes in grip. The speaker I mounted in the butt stock and the electronic board I hid in ejector port cover. Careful planning is needed. But the gun came out fantastic. Good luck and take your time and keep us posted.

Edited by magni
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

Sorry bulldog, the maker stopped making them only after a short run.

@magni : Can you share any pics of your setup or a link to a built thread? Cool to hear that it comes already with a trigger. That's one thing less to make :) How do you find the volume? It's a 1w speaker, right? And mounting it in the stock keeps it loud enough? ...forgive me....where is the ejector port cover? 

My kit should be shipped soon so I'll have it in hand in a few weeks.

Sorry no build thread. I get to much into something to stop and take picture's.I mistakenly said trigger when I should have said micro switch. The volume is controlled by a small slotted screw on circuit board. And the discharge cover is the box hanging off the left side of gun, if holding. Is your gun solid or does it separate into a left and right hand side?

The electronics came in! I can now get to work on installing them :)

IMG_0266.jpg

Not pictured are the speaker and the LED strips for going down the barrel.

I have a feeling I'm going to try and find a different speaker. Ideally I'd like to have one small enough to go into the barrel as that would have the sound move forward. The current speaker is too wide to fit in the barrel.

Going through the instructions doesn't give to much insight on the actual installation of the electronics - placement, how to tips, etc. Good stuff on changing the sounds, but placing it in the gun itself may be challenging. 

@magni - did you go with the additional muzzle flash? How is your gun powered? The board comes with a 9V battery connector...but then I'm reading that if I want to do the barrel strips (included) it needs to be 12V. I'm assuming he means an A23 battery? In which case, how is this connected to the 9V connector?

Also - this thing came with it...and I have no idea what it is as it is not listed in his instructions. Is this the force feedback motor? I thought that was extra...

IMG_0265.jpg

Edited by DeathProof

The motor is for vibration. The kids love it when they feel there hand vibrate.for the battery I bought a clip holder for AA battery's from radio shack that makes all 8 equal 12v and it attaches to the 9v end. You can find them anywhere. The speaker idea you do what you think. Just make sure ohms match up. Mine is in butt so no problem for size. The sound is an attention getter, especially at con's when I turn it up. It is a BFG of course.for the light strip I protected that with a clear 3/4" tube down center of barrel.mine came around a Star Wars poster I bought. Double score! You bought a great sound/light kit. Take your time and you'll get it.

• 1 month later...

Back to progress on the DLT. Huge thanks to my buddy Colin for helping me out. It's definitely been a workout trying to get the electronics to fit properly, but we're almost there. We made room for the sound card today, and I built a housing for a different speaker and got the working trigger together. If you do this, I highly suggest a hollow DLT :)

We had to change out the speaker that came with the kit as it was round and didn't fit where we wanted to put it. I will also have to extent the wires to the trigger switch. The battery will be an A23 battery that we pop in behind the speaker. There will be a mesh grill that covers the speaker - not exactly accurate, but it will still look the part. I also have to build an access panel for the sound board. 

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

• Like 1

Glad to see some progress.how are you gonna make and mount the discharge cover over speaker and protect electronic board? The trigger looks great. I can't imagine how you got that in there if it didn't separate. Looking foward to seeing next update.

I plan on just screwing in a metal cover with a nice grill so the sound can escape. For the sound card cover, I just screwed in a rounded piece of styrene. 

I started painting it, but the paint didn't stick at all. I also noticed a lot more bumps that I probably should go back and fill in :(

Just remember that board can heat up so it does need air space. For your speaker you could build the cover box and drill a few holes in bottom to let sound out and would look more accurate. If your doing all that work you should make it passable if you aim for EIB or Centurion. Just a suggestion.

There should be enough airflow as there are holes everywhere for cables :) 

I will try to make a cover box that works within CRL requirements. If the sound gets muffled a little bit, that might be a sacrifice I have to make.

• 2 weeks later...

DLT-19 is complete! I managed to work a more appropriate cover than a grill. The board is loud enough that it doesn't get too quiet with the cover in place. 

Let me know what you think!

13558689_880474837141_866491222694349030

Edited by DeathProof

Aaron, Fantastic job all around. That cover came out great. Nice to see what the red flash looks like, I have the green for mine. The fans are gonna love it! Good luck on not smacking anybody with it. Oh and nice hat.

• Like 1