Best way to fix cracked PVC

I recently had an accident at home that cracked one of my thigh pieces. My TK armor is made from PVC. I thought about just using some superglue, but that would leave the residue on the finish. I suppose I could do that if there were a way to buff and restore the finish. I did look through the forums, and I didn't find anything that specifically addressed fixing cracked PVC. (though my forum search skill are notoriously bad).  I'm sure that if there isn't any viable repair method I could request a replacement part from RS Props. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian (TK-88406)

I recently had an accident at home that cracked one of my thigh pieces. My TK armor is made from PVC. I thought about just using some superglue, but that would leave the residue on the finish. I suppose I could do that if there were a way to buff and restore the finish. I did look through the forums, and I didn't find anything that specifically addressed fixing cracked PVC. (though my forum search skill are notoriously bad). I'm sure that if there isn't any viable repair method I could request a replacement part from RS Props. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian (TK-88406)

My FISD re-build post did.

CRXPanda's Rebuild Thread

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/30780-CRXPanda%27s-Rebuild-Thread

My knee plate was cracked on my FC armor. I used white fingernail acrylic powder and liquid. I have had to wear artificial nails for almost 20 years, because I don't grow mine naturally. I follow the same technique, the armor is just a "really big nail tip"

http://tkarmor.blogspot.com/2015/04/sniper-plate-crack-white-acrylic-nail.html

You can also use something called SOLAREZ, it is a UV curing surfboard filler, but it takes more prep and technique than nail powder and liquid to make it look proper.

Can you post a picture of the crack?

Nail tips are made of many types of plastic. FX is ABS http://www.diffen.com/difference/ABS_vs_PVC

Edited by CRXPanda
  • Like 1

Andi,

Thanks bunches for that tip. I can't get you a pic today, but I can probably get one tomorrow. I'm heading out this morning for a friend's birthday party/cookout. I can tell you that it's cracked behind the thigh elastic. Like a fool, I kneeled down to pick something up and elastic pulled too hard on the interior of the plastic and cracked it. I would have to effect the repair from the outside, or try pulling the elastic off (which I'm not confident I can do that. Where do I obtain the acrylic powder and or liquid? Beauty supply?

Where do I obtain the acrylic powder and or liquid? Beauty supply?

Hey Brian, 

Yep!  Somewhere like Sally Beauty Supply should have it.  Good luck with the repair!

On 4/25/2016 at 12:10 PM, bpresson said:

I seem to be unable to upload pictures. I'll look to see if there is something in settings.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Andi,

I wanted to let you know that I was unable to make the acrylic powder and liquid to work. It applied and sanded very well (though the liquid was a foul substance). However I didn't stand up to much flexing. I did however find an epoxy by Loctite (marine) (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_mrn_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Marine.htm) that applied well and creates a strong bond over the crack. It also sands well and takes paint.  

Thanks to everyone providing feedback and assistance, and I hope that my experience with this is beneficial to someone else.

P.S. I will try to post pictures of before and after, but I've been having an issue with the forums taking my google photo's links.

P.S.S. I removed the information about the paint. Once it dried it had almost a gray look against the PVC white of the plastic. I'll have to do some more matching.

Edited by bpresson

I am to late for the party, but just for the record, there are dedicated glues for PVC.

They are white, melt the plastic together and are mainly used for installing PVC windows.

Veeeery strong bond!

I buid my whole suit with it and even glued in the strapping with that stuff ...

I finally got everything fixed. The epoxy created a great bond, and sanded very well. I had a lot of problems with painting. It would be either too bright or too dark. I finally went to McCollum's autobody here in Vancouver, Wa to ask if they could recommend a way that I could blend, or match, or fade  the paint in. Bill Little spent a bunch of time explaining how I could go about doing it, and in the end he just decided to do it for me, and it turned out perfect. He refused any payment. So I wanted to give him and his shop a shout out for doing that. Since I had a trooping event coming up on Friday, it was imperative that I got this finished in time.

Edited by bpresson
  • Like 1