Acetone questions.

I have a few questions on acetone.

1. Which store is better to by Acetone from, Wal Mart, Home Depot or Lowes?

2. What percentage of Acetone needs to be in a glass Jar before adding abs scraps.

25%, 30% 40%, 50%?

3. How long do I need to wait before using the Acetone paste on my Armor? 1, 2 days?

4. How long for teh curing time for the Acetone Paste to cure before painting?

5. How long does the Acetone paste last when not in use? Weeks, Months?

Thanks.

Andy

• Like 1

I have a few questions on acetone.

1. Which store is better to by Acetone from, Wal Mart, Home Depot or Lowes?

2. What percentage of Acetone needs to be in a glass Jar before adding abs scraps.

25%, 30% 40%, 50%?

3. How long do I need to wait before using the Acetone paste on my Armor? 1, 2 days?

4. How long for teh curing time for the Acetone Paste to cure before painting?

5. How long does the Acetone paste last when not in use? Weeks, Months?

Thanks.

Andy

1. Whichever is cheapest.

2. Depends how thick you want it. Use less acetone and add more if you want it thinner.

3. Don't know. I left mine overnight.

4. Depends how much you use. It dries pretty quick, but I would wait at least a few hours.

5. It lasts forever. If it gets to thick or hardens, just add more acetone.

Those were my experiences.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just finished using ABS paste on my future Hero bucket, Andy.  I will try to answer your questions as best as I can from personal experience..

1.  I bought mine from Lowe's. The brand name is Jasco, and unfortunately they only sell it in larger cans.

2.  I cut the ABS into tiny, TINY pieces, (about 3 teaspoon's worth), put it in the jar, and added the Acetone in small amounts.  Don't go crazy with it, otherwise it will be too runny.  Make sure you get a jar with a lid.

3.  I stirred it frequently, and it took a couple of hours to get to the consistency I wanted, like pancake syrup.  You may want yours thicker, though, depending on what you are using it for.

4.  Keep the lid on when not stirring it!

5.  I waited 24 hours for it to dry, but you may need to wait longer depending on humidity and thickness,

6.  Mine is still in a liquid form, but like I mentioned, keep the lid on.

I have found that when working with ABS paste, you have to work kind of quick, as it gets a "skin" really fast.  Also, make sure it is completely smooth, without lumps before applying it.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

That is exactly what I just did to my Anovos bucket.   I am going for a Hero build on this one, so there are a LOT of changes in the works...  turning 4 bumps into 3, filling the screw hole in the ear.  I have about 8 hours into it, and still have one ear left!

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips. I am going to be using to fill in the Teeth on a ANH Hero Lid I am working on.

Andy

ABS sludge isn't the greatest at retaining structure, since its thinner than HIPS sludge.  Make sure you have a backing material to which you can apply the sludge, i.e. thin cardboard, scrap abs, etc.  Think of the sludge as the window-dressing top coat, and don't rely on it for strength;  It will not be as strong as the original ABS.

And as far as the tiny pieces, don't spend too much time cutting yours into the tiny pieces as it will all melt just fine in not too long a time.  Just make your scraps small enough to fit in your jar. Small Salsa jars work great since they're wide and shallow.

Add too much acetone?  Let it breathe a bit.  Too thick?  add a bit more and stir.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. I am going to be using to fill in the Teeth on a ANH Hero Lid I am working on.

That's exactly what I did on my ATA Hero helmet that I'm currently building.  I initially applied the ABS paste too thin, and it left awful bubbles in my patching.  So my tip to you is make sure the consistency of your paste is like sticky play-dough.  Knead a small bit in your fingers to work out any air bubbles that might be in the paste before applying.  Then smash it very well into the teeth divot.   ABS paste is awesome for this kind of thing!

You can find acetone at any beauty supply or drugstore; you don't necessarily have to make a run to the hardware store for this.  Just make sure it is labeled as Pure Acetone.  Sally Beauty Supply has sizes of Pure Acetone from small bottles all the way up to gallon jugs.

Also, make sure you take the time to sand down your ABS patches well so they blend in nicely with the rest of the frown.  Good luck with your modding, and post pics!

Edited by Cricket