Hollowing Out the Ears

I was driving to a meeting this afternoon, thinking about stormtroopers (as always) and just wondered if anyone had ever hollowed out the space behind the ears on their bucket?

If someone cut out the space on the helmet between the ears they could have room for headphones in there... maybe even mount a small external mic on your belt or something and you'd be able to hear people and your surroundings in amplified stereo. :0Lighten:

Haha... just a weird idea.

Anyone ever done this?

Hmm, hadn't thought about that. I think that usually after you cut out your frown you have enough open space that hearing really isn't an issue. There's no real reason not to do it that I can think of, though. Provided you can attach your ears somehow other than with the screws. I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle, but I'm always in favor of cutting out new areas of the helmet:

-------------

I'll tell you this helped air the helmet out and made my speaking voice much more intelligible.

Phil

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I was actually thinking about the same thing a few days ago. To have some type of mic system setup to pickup outside noise. But then I thought that it would be picked up by my mic I use for speaking. Anyway, good idea to ponder.

As for the frown. That's cool. Did you put screening in it, or just left the slots? I'm always thinking about what the technology was meant for and how to make it more technologically accurate (more so than movie accurate). Good job!

DD.

That's a great idea. There's probably enough room in there to mount them without the holes. I did something similar with a headset from a motorola 2-way radio and my motorcycle helmet. If you crack open the casing of these particular head phones the speaker is very flat. I slipped the speaker behind the helmet padding and secured them with a dab of hot glue. It was an easy way to add 2-way communication to a helmet. Have you seen those little ear boosters they sell on TV? Their probably mono.