M38 Hollow Core Scope Project 2016 - Bulldog44

Fantastic work mate, looking forward to owning one of these beauties

Thanks. fingers crossed for the next batch of silicone. If all goes well, I hope to be able to supply you with one soon!

• Like 1

This is what I managed to achieve with one of Brian's amazing scopes...

Ok so here's where I'm upto with my sons e11 Christmas pressie.

d69cb82a50e95e64a59dd0873f8e9de6.jpg

28cfcacbe88eea271f66978694273f73.jpg

06ee1515c70b9a2d42ec72031ade5e64.jpg

f7838db7ea1bbb5537e102c8b3a5c84e.jpg

And here's the working model

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzq1vnn0irt2tsd/20161124_090239.mp4?dl=0

Marc

• Like 1

Marc, that is completely awesome! Looks fantastic!thanks for posting this, showing there are some cool ways you can spice up these scopes. I really want to try adding lights to my next scope now!

Edited by Bulldog44

Marc, that is completely awesome! Looks fantastic!thanks for posting this, showing there are some cool ways you can spice up these scopes. I really want to try adding lights to my next scope now!

Thanks for the kit Brian, which inspired this project. All my son is expecting is a Doopy's kit. But the possibilities your scope offers means I had to do something with it other than install it! He will recieve a first class, fully built e11, along with a stand for christmas. Which, was born from this kit. Again, I thank you!

Marc

Brian, any updates on your new molds?

Hi Ted,

Sorry been sidetracked with work and family stuff. I managed to get some of the pre molding prep done. I will pour the molds for the smaller end lens parts tomorrow night. I will begin the scope main body molds this weekend. I spent last week rethinking how to make the molds only to conclude my original idea is best. Sorry for the long wait. Tokyo comic con will be this weekend so I might be a bit busy but will get the molds started. It is a three stage mold so I need 3-4 days without incident. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I'm good to wait as well Brian no rush

I'm good to wait as well Brian no rush

Thanks. Hope it won't take too long to get the mold done. Since it will be a new mold and new silicone, I need to test a few castings. Way I had more time in the day.

Again thanks for your patience and understanding.

• Like 1

Just a quick update, poured the main scope silicone mold last night. Still two more stages to pour over the next few days. Also poured the silicone for some of the mounting plates I hope to use. These parts seem the most vulnerable to mold shrinkage due to the very thin circular walls. I made the mold walls much thicker so I hope this helps a more uniform shrinkage if it happens. 

Noticed lots of bubbles in the silicone mix but praying all the air has mostly moved to the surface. If not, another day back at square one. Going to start the M19 mold this weekend once I get the M38 finished. Sorry its taking long to get things rolling. Using the platinum silicone will hopefully solve all my initial problems and give me plenty of use to cast a large number of kits.  ;)

• Like 2

M38%20Scope%20Model%206%20Mold%20Test%20

Finished the main scope body mold. Had a small setback but now ready to do a test cast. This scope will be a copy of my 1942 model #6 M38 scope. It looks almost exactly like the model #1 scope I have but with a smoother finish. After a few test castings and mock assemblies with all the new parts, I hope to have a new kit ready to offer soon. I am expecting a few hurdles as I learned there is always something that needs finer tuning. First test cast will be tonight along with some of the other smaller parts. Report back once I get the results. :salute:

• Like 5

Brian, I truly admire your dedication to perfection. Your stuff looks great. The scopes I ordered never showed up so I am reordering more today and will be doing a build thread on them when the new ones finally get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Brian, I truly admire your dedication to perfection. Your stuff looks great. The scopes I ordered never showed up so I am reordering more today and will be doing a build thread on them when the new ones finally get here.

Thanks Jim for your kind words. Hoping these newer molds give me a higher percentage of usable parts. Perfect is not possible but shooting for 99% at best.

When you mentioned your scopes didnt show up, I thought you meant scope kits you may have ordered but I had forgotten about. Moment of panic and rechecking of mails. Those little scopes for the lenses right? Just making sure otherwise I owe you some major apology and compensation.

M38%20Scope%20Model%206%20First%20Test%2

First test cast from the new mold. So far so good. No tears in the silicone or misalignments that stick out. Retainer ring can screw in with a little persuasion. If shrinkage is kept in proportion then the molds should be good for a while to make kits again. I need to trial a few more castings and then report the results. Test casting for the rings and other parts to start tonight and this weekend. M19 mold will finally get started too I hope. Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 4

Thanks Jim for your kind words. Hoping these newer molds give me a higher percentage of usable parts. Perfect is not possible but shooting for 99% at best.

When you mentioned your scopes didnt show up, I thought you meant scope kits you may have ordered but I had forgotten about. Moment of panic and rechecking of mails. Those little scopes for the lenses right? Just making sure otherwise I owe you some major apology and compensation.

Ack! Sorry! I should have been more clear. The monoculars I ordered to to strip for parts didn't arrive. Your kit made it just fine and is amazing! I've been wanting to put it together for some time. In the mean time I have been practicing my weathering techniques!

Ack! Sorry! I should have been more clear. The monoculars I ordered to to strip for parts didn't arrive. Your kit made it just fine and is amazing! I've been wanting to put it together for some time. In the mean time I have been practicing my weathering techniques!

No worries. I am just forgetful these days.

Can't wait to see you weathering techniques when you get your scope built.

Perfect scopes brian!!!!

Super thanks. Getting these babies ready for super troopers like you. Hoping not to disappoint. I am trying to order some smooth on black onyx but have yet to hear back from the distributor here in Japan. Ideally it would be nice to start using that so I don't need to use pigments anymore with the resin. Its expensive but would be the best choice material I can get at the moment. For now the Local hobby resin works, just less consistency trying to get a balanced black shade for all the parts.
  • Like 1

Brian, why worry about getting the colour right? Most will be painting them anyway! Your scopes are absolutely amazing! I can't post a pic right now, but I've used one of yours for my sons Christmas present. Saying that, once he's unwrapped it, I will post what I've been able to do with one of yours, and hopefully demonstrate how versatile (despite colour ) your scopes are!

I honestly think you have nailed the castings and they are perfect!

Marc

• Like 4

Brian, why worry about getting the colour right? Most will be painting them anyway! Your scopes are absolutely amazing! I can't post a pic right now, but I've used one of yours for my sons Christmas present. Saying that, once he's unwrapped it, I will post what I've been able to do with one of yours, and hopefully demonstrate how versatile (despite colour ) your scopes are!

I honestly think you have nailed the castings and they are perfect!

Marc

Thanks Marc. I guess I keep thinking too much on how to make it one step easier to assemble the kit and have little work left for paint if if was already black. but hearing your view on the matter makes sense. For now I will continue my method of using pigments just to get the base color of the sin darker so if any paint scrapes off it won't be noticeable. Appreciate your thoughts on this as it helps me really focus on making kits what the builder wants or what they will end up doing to them.

Can't wait to see your sons blaster and scope !

• Like 1

Thanks Marc. I guess I keep thinking too much on how to make it one step easier to assemble the kit and have little work left for paint if if was already black. but hearing your view on the matter makes sense. For now I will continue my method of using pigments just to get the base color of the sin darker so if any paint scrapes off it won't be noticeable. Appreciate your thoughts on this as it helps me really focus on making kits what the builder wants or what they will end up doing to them.

Can't wait to see your sons blaster and scope !

I think your scopes are perfect as they are mate.

The boys blaster is all wrapped up ready for Christmas. But I will definitely post when he opens it

Marc

• Like 2

M19%20Scope%20Disassembly%20with%20Bulb_

One step I took to ensure a bubble free casting of the side light socket was to fill the hole with silicone and let it set, Then I pour the rest of the silicone to make the main mold. The hole filled silicone then binds with the fresher poured silicone and sets. During the recent round of mold making I decided to scrap this method and remove the hole filled silicone before just pouring the main mold. As I was removing the silicone the light socket bulb must have loosened from its position and then dropped out while I was unscrewing the inner reticle assembly. I was surprised it fell out and am still hoping there are no other inner parts that sit behind the bulb. It looks like there is nothing more than that part but if someone has any knowledge or experience taking this part off please chime in! I could use some reassurance. 

This unwanted happening though has given me a greater opportunity to cast the inside of the main scope with less error and no worries of the rear silicone plug from tearing into two while demolding the resin casts. The only draw back is that the inner reticle assembly will have to be casted separately if I plan on making a true 1:1 copy of the M19. I am going to do a test mold and casting of the bulb with clear resin in the coming weeks just for fun. 

I just love the simplicity of the light socket cavity and the bulb to help illuminate the reticle crosshairs. Guessing they used a flashlight or something light source aimed into the socket. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the kit Brian, which inspired this project. All my son is expecting is a Doopy's kit. But the possibilities your scope offers means I had to do something with it other than install it! He will recieve a first class, fully built e11, along with a stand for christmas. Which, was born from this kit. Again, I thank you!

Marc

Here's the boys blaster in operation with Brian's scope.

http://rs1262.pbsrc.com/albums/ii605/mistersea1/e11%20ref/20161226_150437_2_zpsrqvsaabc.mp4?w=160&h=160&fit=clip

Marc