M38 Hollow Core Scope Project 2016 - Bulldog44

Awesome Bryn! Pleased it made it there safely and most of all you are happy with it. I get worried when I send each of these kits out not kn owing if each person is happy with their purchase or not. Accepting people's money is something I try to take very seriously and do my best to give them what they paid for. The packaging has been fun to plan and think that element is just as important as the kit itself. Thanks so much for your feedback and enjoy building it or enshrining it! If you need another, I can hook you up anytime! Cheers!

• Like 2

P.S. did anyone find any prisms for these scopes?

I could not find anything exact in size but Surplus Shed sells prisms that appear near in size but the shape is not exact. These were custom made for sure I believe back in the day. I am trying to dig up some records on them, hopefully to find at least some sort of blueprints or trail of where they made them exactly,. Maybe some parts still exist, buried in some old military surplus warehouse.

Fieldmarshall is having some made I think for his ultimate M19 scope so that would be the best bet for real working prisms if he has enough made and can supply them on the side of his project.

• Like 2

I would also like to add prisms on your scopes Brian to make it function like a real one... 

• Like 1

Just saw on shapeways 3d printed site from maker Sly Tools , he makes clear lenses for his scopes. I am sure he could make replica prisms at least. They might not be functional but would complete the kit. Probably pricey but maybe worth the inquiry.

• Like 1

Just saw on shapeways 3d printed site from maker Sly Tools , he makes clear lenses for his scopes. I am sure he could make replica prisms at least. They might not be functional but would complete the kit. Probably pricey but maybe worth the inquiry.

i will check this out... Thanks!

Fieldmarshall will probably be our only hope for real functional prisms. <br><br><br>

Anybody out there have a high tech lens and prism cutting machine? Lol. Never hurts to ask. :)

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 2

Hey Brian when are going to make a tutorial on assembling your scopes? the M19 in particular?

Hey Brian when are going to make a tutorial on assembling your scopes? the M19 in particular?

I don't have have any immediate plans do make any due to time.if I get a chance I can try to throw one together. I was hoping the instructions manual included might help but I realize its tiny to read and not 100% clear to follow. Sorry. Let me know if I can help you out with anything. I made a very crude video in November to assemble the M19 but its not great and confusing. Making a comprehensible how to video turned out harder than I thought. Parts didn go together as smoothly as hoped ad the order of assemble all over the place. I can send you the link but I warn you its pretty bad.

I will try to make a step by step tutorial PDF version if I can.

• Like 1

Hey guys, love this scope project. I'm currently working on functional mini reticule displays that might be a perfect addition to these. Have a look at the latest videos on www.facebook.com/trooperamp

Edited by pwhitrow
  • Like 2

Hey guys, love this scope project. I'm currently working on functional mini reticule displays that might be a perfect addition to these. Have a look at the latest videos on www.facebook.com/trooperamp

Wow, that is very cool indeed. The graphics look so cool and sounds are great too. My ipad keeps crashing trying to view more on your Facebook page so I will try to check it out on another PC soon. What is the needed diameter for the smaller graphic window to fit in the scope?

• Like 1

Wow, that is very cool indeed. The graphics look so cool and sounds are great too. My ipad keeps crashing trying to view more on your Facebook page so I will try to check it out on another PC soon. What is the needed diameter for the smaller graphic window to fit in the scope?

Thanks bud. The smaller display is approximately 20 x 20 x  5 mm, so should fit well. There is an arduino too which is 33 x 18 x 3.5 mm. Would love to see if it fits, especially with battery and switch, and perhaps work an exchange?

Edited by pwhitrow
  • Like 1

Thanks bud. The smaller display is approximately 20 x 20 x 5 mm, so should fit well. There is an arduino too which is 33 x 18 x 3.5 mm. Would love to see if it fits, especially with battery and switch, and perhaps work an exchange?

yeah, that would be great to see how it would fit into the scope. Happy to arrange something for sure. PM me!
  • Like 1

hey Brian what reticule lens can you recommend for the optional part assembly for the M19 scope? i already removed the opaque material.

The center reticle is one part I have not been able to source. I was thinking of using plexiglass cut to about 10mm diameter circle but its hard to cut accurately for such a small piece. Trying to contact a glass cutting business here or even ask en eyeglass shop to see what they can do. Let you know if I find a solution that works best. <br><br>

The monocular I tested for the labe lens also has two smaller lenses that measure about 12-13mm I think. I guess you could widen the hole and try to mount one of these or see if the small lens I sent you fits inside. They should measure 10mm. Let me know if you try those and if they work or not.

• Like 1

Just thought maybe plexiglass solid cylinders that measure 10mm-11mm could be cut to a correct thickness and then sanded& polished to a clear finish.

hey Brian what reticule lens can you recommend for the optional part assembly for the M19 scope? i already removed the opaque material.

Your question had me wondering about what to use. The central reticle assembly part for the M19 was not something I wanted to take apart for fear of damaging it. But adding a reticle/ lens into this part is not easy so I had a go at taking it apart and happy to say it went well, minor surface scratches near the notches but after a tense 15-20 minutes of sweating bullets, I freed the central reticle! It measures approx. 15mm in diameter and about 2mm thick.

I found these clear plastic disks on ebay that might be suitable to use for this part. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-Perspex-Disk-Circle-Clear-3mm-Thick-10mm-to-100mm-Diameter-/290924901184?var=&hash=item43bc79b340:m:mEmNWZ2HkR0nUEn39ReFm8w

They are 3mm thick, just 1mm too thick but should be okay until I find something better. 

Then pwhitrow introduced his cool graphics kit and I had more thoughts on removing the central reticle assembly in the M38 to accommodate more room for his kit as well as making the M38 kit fully casted down to each part. I was super nervous about this because the side locking screws were tight. Broke 2 micro screwdrivers trying this, then bought a better one and got the screws to loosen up. I carefully took out the central reticle housing and then went to work taking that apart too. Also a success. So now both the M19 and M38 scopes can be casted fully hollow and the reticle assembly can be casted in pieces to properly instal a reticle substitute. Luckily the M38 central reticle measures just short of 21mm/2mm thick. Tino offers real reticles in his completion sets that measure 21mm. I have one and will test it tonight to see if it fits . I am pretty sure it will. So that is great news for anyone who plans on buying his sets and one of my kits once they get remolded.. 

I wish I had enough courage to do this earlier so the present kits would have had these features but feared damaging the original scopes. For anyone who has the M19 scope kit, I can supply the updated central reticle assembly when I cast that in the coming month or two. But for the M38 kits , I am afraid they were casted with the central assembly already inside, not possible to install a new updated one. You can still install a clear disk measuring 15mm to fit the hole.  It will be a month or so before I attempt to make new molds for the M38 and the central reticle assembly.  

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 1

26b89672ffad334f7449c7d8cab9292d.jpg scopes assembled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those sure are mighty pretty little things. I can't wait to get started on mine but life has raised it's annoying head again leaving me with very little time. Trying to get organised for my first troop too. Excited

• Like 1

ad73d546bad9d2e2e3313fe3666c3974.jpg i like the M19 on the blaster...

I've only had M38 scopes so far so I might have to get an M19 just for fun

• Like 2

26b89672ffad334f7449c7d8cab9292d.jpg scopes assembled

Wow! You built them already! Looking awesome! Great job. They compliment your blaster very well. I hope you enjoyed putting them together. It is always surreal to see the scopes a part in someones collection or on their blaster. I constantly see the scopes in pieces so to see completed ones is the icing on the cake. The M19 does look great on your blaster. Did the light port bulb install smoothly? Sorry i don't have a tutorial yet but by the looks of it you don't need one. Perfect job!  Many thanks for sharing photos of your completed scopes!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

I've only had M38 scopes so far so I might have to get an M19 just for fun

Ready to supply you with one anytime!  ;)