SpiceCredits ANH Stunt Build Thread [AP]

Very nice! I'm gonna play around with mine a little tonight and see what my options are for the battery pack. I may end up doing that too (moving the pack to the front). My goal is to not have any of that visible if possible, so I may buy a battery box and go that route.

I'm definitely adding a switch also! What was the wiring set-up for that? I need to find a good thread/info that has how to wire that. You know... so I don't catch my apartment on fire and all. lol :P

I bought this switch at Radio Shack.

17e75d127d920d68af52d2e1e8e1709a.jpg

Perform surgery on the USB cable and locate the black wire.

50426229675a5161ced8282f7a1ff75b.jpg

Solder on some pig tails on the switch. Slide some heat shrink (4 pieces) to prevent shorting. Solder pig tails to exposed wires from USB cables.

2c6fa335da2d89df1c04e8762686be8b.jpg

Then I wrapped up the whole thing with some electrical tape (not pictured).

I also made a little tab with scrap ABS and affixed it to my bracket for the switch.

81a105a966aa6c697e72609beb9a54bc.jpg

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

I bought this switch at Radio Shack.

17e75d127d920d68af52d2e1e8e1709a.jpg

Perform surgery on the USB cable and locate the black wire.

50426229675a5161ced8282f7a1ff75b.jpg

Solder on some pig tails on the switch. Slide some heat shrink (4 pieces) to prevent shorting. Solder pig tails to exposed wires from USB cables.

2c6fa335da2d89df1c04e8762686be8b.jpg

Then I wrapped up the whole thing with some electrical tape (not pictured).

I also made a little tab with scrap ABS and affixed it to my bracket for the switch.

81a105a966aa6c697e72609beb9a54bc.jpg

Jim - TK50899

Very cool! Thanks for sharing that!! I'm definitely using this for when I add the switch. 

Quick question: I add wires to each end of the switch. I cut the black wire inside the USB cable. Then I attach the wire ends off the switch to the ends of the snipped black wire inside the USB cable? So the switch is only spliced into the black wire? Does that sound right? I literally know nothing about wiring or electrical stuff. :/ Also, does it matter what kind of wire I solder to the switch? I can perform the actions, but I don't know the logistics. lol 

• Like 2

Very cool! Thanks for sharing that!! I'm definitely using this for when I add the switch.

Quick question: I add wires to each end of the switch. I cut the black wire inside the USB cable. Then I attach the wire ends off the switch to the ends of the snipped black wire inside the USB cable? So the switch is only spliced into the black wire? Does that sound right? I literally know nothing about wiring or electrical stuff. :/ Also, does it matter what kind of wire I solder to the switch? I can perform the actions, but I don't know the logistics. lol

Yeah, you just need to solder the switch to one of the wires. All the switch does, is break the circuit when in the off position, thus no power.

You'll be fine with this, it's easy mate

• Like 2

Yeah, you just need to solder the switch to one of the wires. All the switch does, is break the circuit when in the off position, thus no power.

Ditto! I have way more experience with household wiring (110v). The concept is the same but when dealing with small battery powered electronics if you make a mistake you may fry a switch or circuit but not yourself!

Jim - TK50899

• Like 2

Thanks! That's good to know. In my head it was so much more than that. lol I felt like I was in Lethal Weapon not knowing what color wire to cut.

Ditto! I have way more experience with household wiring (110v). The concept is the same but when dealing with small battery powered electronics if you make a mistake you may fry a switch or circuit but not yourself!

Jim - TK50899

Awesome. That makes me feel easier about the whole thing. I hate getting shocked. lol

Not to kijack this thread, but MoSc0ut, can you reach the back of your helmet to turn your fans on/off when you're kitted up?

• Like 2

Not to kijack this thread, but MoSc0ut, can you reach the back of your helmet to turn your fans on/off when you're kitted up?

Barely!! When doing my EIB app last night I did notice that. If I don't have my gloves on I can squirm around and barely flick it on or if I put my left arm armor on last I can reach it no problem.

I will probably move it to the chin area.

Always learning here and thanks for pointing that out, I'd hate to steer people wrong.

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

Barely!! When doing my EIB app last night I did notice that. If I don't have my gloves on I can squirm around and barely flick it on or if I put my left arm armor on last I can reach it no problem.

I will probably move it to the chin area.

Always learning here and thanks for pointing that out, I'd hate to steer people wrong.

Jim - TK50899

Where do you have the switch at the moment Jim?

I'm going with the push button type. Again, by the chin for ease of access.

• Like 3

I have it in the rear offset to my left. I was going to get the push on/off type but they were all out of them. I will keep checking and when they have them again I will probably switch it out. I'll give this set up to my son for his Mando helmet. He's got a lot more flexibility in his costume.

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

Soldering is the way to go, and the proper way to do this, but if you have one of these wires: https://www.amazon.com/40pcs-Female-2-54mm-Jumper-Wires/dp/B007MRQC1K

Then the female ends would just slip over the pins at the switch. You can then just strip, twist and crimp the wires.

Do yourself a favour though and solder it with a bit of heat shrink to protect it from the moisture and humidity of the bucket.

• Like 1

Ok, so here is my first full try-on of everything. I had to put it all on and use the timer on my phone's camera to get these. lol

The shins aren't staying super aligned even with the stirrups added. So I added a bit of velcro to the fronts and backs of the boots and the respective places inside the shins to keep them center more. However, I haven't tried them back on with those fixes yet. I had to do some glue fixing to one of the tabs on my left shin. I think that should hold it well though. Thoughts????

Other than that, I feel like it looks pretty good. I think it's just getting the thighs and shins sitting well. I think some foam would help too.

What do you guys think?? Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Also I just noticed from the left profile view, it looks like my shoulder bell could have been aligned better to the bicep. I think that's why I show a little more gap between the bell and chest plate on the front-facing photo. I should have adjusted before taking the photo. I'll fix that next time.

IMG_5173_zpsqm19yd6q.jpg

IMG_5174_zpsefi3os0g.jpg

I feel like maybe the right thigh is a little lower set and that's why there is more gap at the rear than the left shows. Thoughts? Also the back part of my helmet trim came off in my rush to get set up for the shots. lol

IMG_5176_zpsolxik2fo.jpg

IMG_5175_zps1m7rkhyv.jpg

Here is what I did with the velcro to keep the shins in place better.

Back of boot:

IMG_5183_zpsp4rla8dv.jpg

Inside back of shin:

IMG_5186_zpsxuuapn3m.jpg

Front of boot:

IMG_5184_zps8syoemb5.jpg

Inside front of shin:

IMG_5185_zpserdinqr9.jpg

P.S. Man there is a lot of sounds of plastic knocking around when I walk in it. lol

I need to do this, did you just straight up use adhesive backed velcro? Did you E6000 it on, did you sew it on? Enquiring minds would like to know, well maybe not minds, maybe just me. 

• Like 1

Soldering is the way to go, and the proper way to do this, but if you have one of these wires: https://www.amazon.com/40pcs-Female-2-54mm-Jumper-Wires/dp/B007MRQC1K

Then the female ends would just slip over the pins at the switch. You can then just strip, twist and crimp the wires.

Do yourself a favour though and solder it with a bit of heat shrink to protect it from the moisture and humidity of the bucket.

Super informative pewpewpew!! I'll more than likely be soldering/heat shrinking them to be safe, but I do like those wires for the switch ends! Thanks!!  :smiley-sw013:

• Like 2

Had my first troop yesterday at The Children's Museum! It was Star Wars day.

Overall it was a wonderful first troop. Towards the end I felt something rolling around on my back and it ended up being my battery pack. It had fallen out of the back of my helmet. Luckily the TIE in these photos saved me by tucking it away under my compression top. Since then I have redone my fan system and that post will directly be following this one. The best part was when I kept feeling something grab me here and there, and a mom tells me, "She's hugging you." lol :) It was sweet. Kids loved it and even some adults asked for selfies. :P I had this one kid who kept getting so upset and scared when she saw me. Finally I decided to just dance stupidly, and she smiled so big. After that she finally gave me the high-five I'd been working on.

IMG_5439_zpsppdc6z9n.jpg

IMG_5436_zpslmmfksmg.jpg

IMG_5438_zps7okt41v8.jpg

IMG_5440_zpstriyvkzl.jpg

IMG_5437_zpsmf5rahds.jpg

• Like 3

Love it! It gets to be addicting, in a good way. I've stuffed my battery in the chin now. It also keeps my helmet from tipping back, which I think I've said. We did a movie in the park event, The Force Awakens, Friday and the Seattle Seahwaks and Seagals showed up! It was nuts! I thought at one point we were going to get totally mobbed but we survived.

Jim - TK50899

• Like 2

So, as said above I had my fan system's battery pack fall out the back of my helmet during my troop yesterday. I've been wanting to rework the system anyway, and after that it just gave me the extra motivation. Even that aside, I noticed I really couldn't hear well with the on-going fans blowing inside an already hard-to-hear-well helmet. I kept wanting a way to shut it off from time-to-time so I could understand people better, or even just to save battery power. So this is what I did today…

I made a run to Radio Shack and got some heat shrink tubing, 9v battery connectors, 2 x 9v batteries, 2 x on/off switches, and solder.

I removed the USB cord (Sorry Jim!) by cutting the fan's wires closest to the connection it made with the removed USB cord.

Next, I spliced and soldered the fan's red wire and the 9v battery connector's red wire together. 

IMG_5451_zpsntvs51rt.jpg

IMG_5452_zps9jnwwa5t.jpg

Then I heated up the shrink tubing to seal that connection.

IMG_5453_zpsi2hcsfc6.jpg

After that I measured where I wanted to holes for the switches to go, and I used my soldering iron to make them. Make sure you get all the melted plastic around the rim removed after you burn the hole. The measurements I used to make the holes are, 1" from the edge of the fan and in the center of the bracket.

IMG_5454_zpsm8fopzjk.jpg

Then I put in the switch

IMG_5455_zpsklb7cl4x.jpg

IMG_5456_zpskx5k2qkx.jpg

This is the switch I got.

IMG_5465_zpsxtlfgm71.jpg

I forgot to get photos of this step, but it's pretty easy to describe. Take the black wire from the fan and twist it onto one of the ends of the switch, then solder, and heat shrink tubing around that. Then take the black wire from the 9v battery connector and do the same thing to the other end of the switch. Once you've done that heat shrink it all (including the the extra slack of the red wire) around the switch.

IMG_5458_zpsst6gyteg.jpg

The 9v batteries will be place directly behind the fan. This will put more weight in the front so that the back doesn't ride, and there's plenty of room in the front cheek area to store all this well.

I still need to build something to secure the batteries. I'm either making a sock out of elastic or giving some ABS a bath and making a casing. I haven't decided yet. For now I just have them sitting inside the helmet, but it's all concealed incase you just wanted to leave it as is.

IMG_5459_zpsex81yjej.jpg

IMG_5462_zpsqw5zl0rx.jpg

IMG_5464_zpsyp2zehvm.jpg

IMG_5461_zpsv5ocev4m.jpg

I really like having the option to turn my fans off and on at will now, or only blow one at a time. Overall, I am really happy with it. 

• Like 3

Love it! It gets to be addicting, in a good way. I've stuffed my battery in the chin now. It also keeps my helmet from tipping back, which I think I've said. We did a movie in the park event, The Force Awakens, Friday and the Seattle Seahwaks and Seagals showed up! It was nuts! I thought at one point we were going to get totally mobbed but we survived.

Jim - TK50899

That's nuts! I bet that was so much fun! I'm looking forward to doing a movie event of some sort. I have my next one planned for Tuesday morning. It's at Dave and Busters and it's the HFD appreciation day. I'm really looking forward to it and testing to the new fans! :D

• Like 1

Great job on the fan 2.0 set up and congrats on trooping the Children's museum! The pictures looked like tons of fun!

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great job on the fan 2.0 set up and congrats on trooping the Children's museum! The pictures looked like tons of fun!

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I like it much more now. Plus I can put it on with out rubbing against the moving fans. Lol Yea, it really was a good time. We had so many guys there. It was great.
  • Like 1