Making Latex Handguards

Hello everyone, I just wanted to pose this question:

How hard/intensive/expensive would it be to make a mold of your Anovos handguards so that you could make your own set of Latex ones?

Now, this is not to mass produce and sell, just for my own personal use so that I can hit Centurion after I get my outfit done.  The handguard pieces from Anovos are actually pretty sharp and I know you could definitely sharpen them up if they come out a little softer.

I've just never had any experience making molds, pouring latex, etc.  I've got nothing against vetted sellers of handguards on here, and will most likely end up buying a set....but there's something about making your own pieces that is very gratifying.

How hard/intensive/expensive would it be to make a mold of your Anovos handguards so that you could make your own set of Latex ones?

Now, this is not to mass produce and sell, just for my own personal use so that I can hit Centurion after I get my outfit done. The handguard pieces from Anovos are actually pretty sharp and I know you could definitely sharpen them up if they come out a little softer.

I've just never had any experience making molds, pouring latex, etc. I've got nothing against vetted sellers of handguards on here, and will most likely end up buying a set....but there's something about making your own pieces that is very gratifying.

Run my friend, RUN!

You will find that no matter if you do one or two or one hundred, this will most likely be considered as recasting which is not taken lightly in this hobby.

Unless I'm mistaken, people who sell hand guards around here make their own mold from scratch, using reference pictures and measurements...

Thread carefully my friend!

• Like 1

Run my friend, RUN!

You will find that no matter if you do one or two or one hundred, this will most likely be considered as recasting which is not taken lightly in this hobby.

Unless I'm mistaken, people who sell hand guards around here make their own mold from scratch, using reference pictures and measurements...

Thread carefully my friend!

If he just uses it for himself he will be fine.

Now, this is not to mass produce and sell, just for my own personal use so that I can hit Centurion after I get my outfit done.  The handguard pieces from Anovos are actually pretty sharp and I know you could definitely sharpen them up if they come out a little softer.

I've just never had any experience making molds, pouring latex, etc.  I've got nothing against vetted sellers of handguards on here, and will most likely end up buying a set....but there's something about making your own pieces that is very gratifying.

I use the method like this:

1 mix acrylic white paint, into latex rubber until it's the bright white you want.

2 using a spoon and a ceramic dish, mix the latex rubber and paint.

3 trim your ANOVOS handplates to the thickness and shape you want, clean the inside with dawn soap and water, dry fully.

4 in a temp control area, where it can stay over 70d on a constant basis, spread a 1/8" layer of latex into the inside of the handplate.  Allow to completely cure.

Only after your first layer is cured, move on to the next step.

5 add layers of paint mixed latex until the handplate is completely full.  Can take up to a week and a half to create a fully filled mold.

Castin craft mold builder is what I use.

Keep in mind that you need to allow each thin layer to cure without using heat.  As the chemicals evaporate you need to keep the layers from shrinking.

no sunlight.

Edited by TK bondservnt
  • Like 1

Really ? Ok if you say so .

ANOVOS armor is a series of iterations taken from an original suit, which were then modifiied to sharpen and change the overall impression of the suit.

The faceplate, chestplate, backplate and other items have been re-worked from a mold standpoint far beyond a 'recast'.

And the forearms ? Ab buttons ? Shins ? And this original suit belongs to ?

This is old ground . We don't need to go over it again .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And that's the official 501st stance on Anavos Ot armour now is it ? <br>

If so, that's fine , delete my comments from this thread and we'll move along .

Ok, then we'll have to agree to differ then . My educated opinion is that Anavos recast RS Propmasters suit , or they reworked every aspect to exactly imitate the RS suit for some reason .

Sorry if I started something. It doesn't matter to me if the Anovos OTK is a recast or made from sculpts or whatever....Disney gave them the go ahead to sell and an official license...that's all I need. It really is a beautiful set of armor compared to some I've seen :: cough, cough :: Rubies :: cough, cough ::<br><br>

I know how recasting is viewed in this group. I've also read a lot about the ups and downs in Replica Prop Forums and the 405th. <br><br>

Honestly, I just really like the look of the Anovos hand plates compared to some of the others that are sold, and want to keep it with the style of the armor. Thanks for the advice...I didn't think to pour it inside the handguards itself. I think I trimmed mint to about a 5mm thickness or maybe a little more. <br><br>

I'll probably run to Michaels and see what they've got. My biggest worry is that I'll melt the hand guard or that somehow the latex would bond and not come off of the piece. <br><br>

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Vern,

You never cease to amaze me! How you can build all this armour while being blind as a bat is quite amazing. Congratulations :duim:

Paul,  I have always admired you.

I personally own the Anovos kit.  And one of my friends owns the RS props kit.  So I compared them.

The anovos kit is NOT a direct recast of the RS suit itself.  I know because I put the anovos parts up against the RS parts.

with this type of up close comparison I can clearly see where anovos has altered and resized their parts in some areas.

The chest and back are clearly much different than the RS.

The original poster should have no problem finding the materials at michaels crafts... that's exactly where I get my latex and acrylic paint.

Try wicker white, and bright white mixed together for a slightly biscuit color.

Edited by TK bondservnt

Thanks.  After getting some reference pricing on mold making materials and latex and such...I may do this later on down the road to have something for me to troop with...but I'll most likely order from here off FISD.  I believe there is a set for $28 (including shipping).  That'll get me through Centurion approval.  

In hindsight...there are at least 3 other places that would have been more appropriate to post this thread...my apologies.

Thanks. After getting some reference pricing on mold making materials and latex and such...I may do this later on down the road to have something for me to troop with...but I'll most likely order from here off FISD. I believe there is a set for $28 (including shipping). That'll get me through Centurion approval.

In hindsight...there are at least 3 other places that would have been more appropriate to post this thread...my apologies.

Over here is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple questions about the latex habdguards that i cant seem to find. 1) can the latex handguards be glued on to the rubber gloves using 6000 glue? 2) Is the whole latex handguard glued flat to the gloves, or is there an overhang at the knuckles?

Edited by Nosey10