Mkjava's Anovos ANH Stunt Build

I continue to sing the praises of Ty's garder setup! Wish we could have gotten more done yesterday Mike but you're getting there, just keep at it. I'm here to help with whatever you need.

Oh no worries Ken and thank you for taking the time to work with me yesterday.  I just wish I had more time to work on this stuff but sadly life keeps getting in the way!  The biceps are together though and home drying now so that's another step closer.  I figure I can clean up the edges on the shoulder bells now and maybe velcro up the shoulder - bicep - forearm pieces to see how those look and fit.  I'm just happy to be working at a pace between 'finished it in a week' and 'haven't taken it out of the box yet!'   ;)

Can someone recommend a good walk through of how to install the webbing and snaps as an assembly method? Thanks!

Here's a pretty good one:

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/snaps.html

And of course this this thread from here on FISD:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20999-howto-make-snap-plates-3-different-ways/

• Like 1

Here's a pretty good one:

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/snaps.html

And of course this this thread from here on FISD:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20999-howto-make-snap-plates-3-different-ways/

Love that first one, it's like 'Snaps and Straps for Dummies'! I can do that!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are these the snaps of choice?

Tandy Leather "Line 24" Nickel Plated Steel Snaps (1263-02) - TWO 10 PACKS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O1GTVMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_epk9wbJJAHRWT

And if so, how many packs should I invest in?

Are these the snaps of choice?

Tandy Leather "Line 24" Nickel Plated Steel Snaps (1263-02) - TWO 10 PACKS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O1GTVMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_epk9wbJJAHRWT

And if so, how many packs should I invest in?

Those are the correct type, in general.  BUT you should know that Tandy has changed their snaps and these are the new style.  (I know because I bought them from that same link) 

The tops (working parts) are the same, but the bases have changed visually.  The new snap bases have "TANDY" printed all over them, instead of the plain bottoms that the originals had.

This doesn't matter for snap plates, because the bottoms are hidden between the plate and the armor anyway.  But it DOES matter for the two on the butt plate (and for the "male snaps" on the ab plate), because you can actually see those and "Tandy" looks kinda funny, IMO.  (They're also flatter and less textured so you can read the writing)

As to how many, that depends on how many snaps you need to make.  Single snap plates vs. double snaps plates.  And give yourself a number of extras for screw ups.  Count the snaps needed for the style you're using, and then you'll know.  A number of people say just buy a bag of 100, but that's definitely going overboard unless you're doing double snaps everywhere AND screwing up a lot.

I'll see if I can grab pix of new style vs old.

Butt plate snaps:

20160324200528-0c1447f0-la.jpg

New style vs. old style:

20160324200523-0982cc1e-la.jpg

You can see how the new style ones would be pretty obvious. Yes, technically it's not an especially visible location when you're actually wearing the armor, but it would still bug the heck out of me.

What I can recommend doing (if you want to copy me completely ;) ) is get this kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-Factory-24-Snap-Fasteners/dp/B003W0IIJK/

The kit includes 10 of the original style snaps in silver, and 10 brassy ones (which are useless, for this project, at least) AND the setting tool that you probably want/need to set these things anyway.

That gives you enough of the original ones to cover the visible snap areas, and then you can use the new "Tandy" printed ones for all the hidden snap plates.

Also, FWIW, I don't know if it's still on sale but Tandy was having a sale of a 100-pack of the new style snaps for like $30, direct from Tandy. (Online or in store, I believe)

Edited by kman
  • Like 1

Thanks kman! I've seen Dritz mentioned as well and I've seen them at Jo-Ann's, not sure what the quality is on those compared to Tandy. And how about the setting tool, I've seen one that looks like a pair of pliers and then just some little part that I need to hit with a hammer. Any thoughts on those choices?

Thanks kman! I've seen Dritz mentioned as well and I've seen them at Jo-Ann's, not sure what the quality is on those compared to Tandy. And how about the setting tool, I've seen one that looks like a pair of pliers and then just some little part that I need to hit with a hammer. Any thoughts on those choices?

I just edited, so you might want to refresh and re-read. ;)

I use the hammer tool. I think there is a pair of setting pliers available but I seem to recall mixed reviews. Read Darth Aloha's build thread for some commentary on those.

I haven't used the Dritz snaps, but I've read they're ... ok. They'll get the job done and lots of people use them. BUT the quality isn't quite as good as the Tandy ones. Good enough, yes, but AS good, no.

On the sticky equipment list by JustJoseph, in the "Getting Started" forum, the Dritz ones are specifically recommended against, although again, plenty of people have used them successfully:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/:

"7. Line 24 snaps- For strapping. You will need at least 30, and do NOT "cheap-out" on these, but purchase quality ones. (Steer clear of Wal Mart "Dritz" snaps). Tandy is recommended."

Edited by kman
  • Like 1

I have some of the newer Tandy labeled ones on my butt plate and the visible ab plate one. Should definitely get some non-labeled ones for those which I'll eventually have to swap out. Won't hinder approval but if you rather not make my mistake and go back later down the road, follow Kalani's advice!

• Like 1

While I'm on this topic, what's your source for the snap plates? I might be able to scavenge enough flat pieces of ABS from build scrap but I'm not sure. Can I find some suitable material at Home Depot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I'm on this topic, what's your source for the snap plates? I might be able to scavenge enough flat pieces of ABS from build scrap but I'm not sure. Can I find some suitable material at Home Depot?

So far, my only snap plate source has been a source of angst. LOL

No one local seems to have 1-2mm ABS sheets, only thicker (like 10mm+). I suppose I could use a sign from HD, but haven't committed yet. TrooperBay carries it, but at an obscene price (PLUS shipping!)

I might just use the nylon webbing method, which is what I did for the only ones I've put in thus far.

It really doesn't matter what you use because no one should be able to see it anyways. I used nylon because it  adheres better and no way was I going to take the time to perfectly cut out rectangles and drill out holes. Cut a piece of nylon, use a soldering iron or heat up a nail, poke it through, set the snap, and glue in place. 

• Like 4

Great advice, I'll go the nylon webbing approach as that seems much easier than finding and dealing with the material to make little plastic squares.  I'm assuming the same E6000 glue will adhere the nylon to the ABS?  Kman I already followed your advice and ordered that Tandy kit from Amazon that includes the old style snaps and setting tool.  I also grabbed a cheap soldering iron while I was at it.  There's a Tandy store here in Tampa so I'll pop in there this weekend for that 'big bag o' snaps'.

It's a milestone today as I now have my first pieces of wearable armor with the arms. Other than the straps from the shoulders to the shoulder bridge elastic I think I can say they're done (note that I am wearing non-regulation shorts).

282953029078fdc9036d4a877db18a65.jpg

30f3ca1db38dd0ec75f87b965fa09c1b.jpg

I think they look and fit well although I have no frame of reference as to how they should feel or my range of motion. Without the shoulders connected at the top I do have the feeling that they want to slide off a bit, but I'm thinking that's to be expected until they're secured.

Next up is working on the torso parts as I collect my snaps, nylon, elastic, etc.

don't forget the bicep hooks to grab that shoulder bell strap.

Yep, I'll be working on the chest and back sections next and that will include adding the snaps and straps to make the shoulder bell connection. My first venture into the magical world of snap setting!

After mangling a couple of snaps using the hammer and setting tool, I realize this is much harder than it looks! Has anyone used the Dritz heavy duty snap pliers? If so does it work well and would it work with Tandy snaps?

After mangling a couple of snaps using the hammer and setting tool, I realize this is much harder than it looks! Has anyone used the Dritz heavy duty snap pliers? If so does it work well and would it work with Tandy snaps?

I seem to recall reading in Darth Aloha's build thread (sticky in the build thread forum) that the Dritz pliers don't work with the Tandy snaps.

I found it helped to take a Philips screwdriver and give a quick whack to the center post, first, which seems to help it spread out and grab easier when the usual tool is used, after. I think there was a tip about that in one of the snap making how-to threads.

Edited by kman