Build problem...

AWOL

Right so I've been wanting to own stormtrooper armour since the age of 9 and decided yes I'm going to get it...

Problem is my job, I'm a truck driver and I get in the truck on a Sunday then get out of it on a Friday... I don't have the time to build because Saturday is doing shopping paying bills etc and I need a bit of time to chill...

So I guess I want to know the attitude towards commissioning someone to do it for me, is it frowned upon by the members that spent so many many hours painstakingly building their own?

And what status would a commissioned set be able to reach? Acceptance? EIB? Centurion?

I would have loved to build my own but with the small amount of time I have spare it's not really viable and limited space in the truck means I can't build it in there...

I'd like people's honest opinions on this issue please...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by AWOL

Right so I've been wanting to own stormtrooper armour since the age of 9 and decided yes I'm going to get it...

Problem is my job, I'm a truck driver and I get in the truck on a Sunday then get out of it on a Friday... I don't have the time to build because Saturday is doing shopping paying bills etc and I need a bit of time to chill...

So I guess I want to know the attitude towards commissioning someone to do it for me, is it frowned upon by the members that spent so many many hours painstakingly building their own?

And what status would a commissioned set be able to reach? Acceptance? EIB? Centurion?

I would have loved to build my own but with the small amount of time I have spare it's not really viable and limited space in the truck means I can't build it in there...

I'd like people's honest opinions on this issue please...

I didn't have a) The time, b. The inclination, c) The patience and d) The requisite skills, to do a build-from-kit, so I bought a ready-to-wear SDS. People already seem to frown upon SDS stuff, so I wasn't bothered about them frowning upon my lack of self-build :D Edited by humperdingle

There is nothing wrong with having someone help or build your armor. There are people here on the forums who will build it for you for a reasonable price. Some members might suggest you build it yourself to get the experience and sense of completion but it is not a requirement.

Getting the armor approved depends on how it fits and looks on you, not who built it. Someone can sell their costume after having it approved as Centurion but the person buying it may not be approved at the same level. If someone builds your armor for you, specifically, that should not be an issue. 

Having said that, you should still purchase your armor from a vetted armor maker. Bad armor is bad armor.

• Like 3

Being in Scotland, you might want to get in touch with RS Prop Masters, (studio@rspropmasters.com) in the UK.  Their complete build service is pretty much Centurion ready right out of the box, with a few extras needed.

• Like 1

OK so it seems from these replies there is no stigma to buying a commission build, that's OK then...

Thanks to the guys that replied and I'll be ordering mine next month

What kit are you leaning towards?

That's the million dollar question, I knew RS do a full custom build and SDS but they're the only 2 that I know who do it and out of the 2 it's a no brainer for RS...

If I had the time to do a kit it would be TM but I don't know if he does commissions...

If there was a list of builders that do it'd give me the info I need but if there is I can't find it so again I think I need somebody's superior knowledge on this...

That's the million dollar question, I knew RS do a full custom build and SDS but they're the only 2 that I know who do it and out of the 2 it's a no brainer for RS...

If I had the time to do a kit it would be TM but I don't know if he does commissions...

If there was a list of builders that do it'd give me the info I need but if there is I can't find it so again I think I need somebody's superior knowledge on this...

Yeh the RS stuff looks nice, and gets very good feedback. If you were a bit closer, you'd be welcome to have a look at my SDS. I'll probably start saving the pennies for an RS kit myself, but happy with the SDS just now.

TM will build a set for you I think he charges around £500 on top of the armour price, CfO also do a build service at around the same price. Have you thought of using RWA? I was gonna go the TM route however I found RWA on the UK garrison forums they do a fine set of armour for much less than the above options I'm not sure if they offer a build service though.

The only stigma about having someone build it for you that I'll get into is this: please, please, PLEASE, if you opt for having someone else build it for you (besides the maker themselves) ask here publicly before you send anyone any money, just to be sure that there are no known issues with the person you're thinking of paying to do it for you.

• Like 2

The only stigma about having someone build it for you that I'll get into is this: please, please, PLEASE, if you opt for having someone else build it for you (besides the maker themselves) ask here publicly before you send anyone any money, just to be sure that there are no known issues with the person you're thinking of paying to do it for you.

I've taken the plunge within RS commission...

Paid on the website so I think I'm safe from being ripped off lol...

Hope so anyway

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As I'm typing this the team at RS are working their magic on my armour...

I'm hoping beyond hope I get it before star wars day

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

Are you collecting it yourself?

Are you collecting it yourself?

Nah I'll be in work, they said they post up to a week after the build date so hopefully it will arrive on or before the 30th, anything after that I won't get it till the following weekend...

Nah I'll be in work, they said they post up to a week after the build date so hopefully it will arrive on or before the 30th, anything after that I won't get it till the following weekend...

Fingers crossed, mate :)