Malachi's Birthday

trooper96

I wanted to share with you guys a troop I participated in this past Saturday. Of all the times I have put the white armor on so far, this is the one I will remember. Here is a cut-and-paste from the Carolina Garrison's Mission Reports...

I wasn't expecting this initially, but this is a troop that really touched me and is dear to my heart. I knew this troop was for a child that was dealing with hardships, but what I soon found out was that Malachi is truly an inspiration to many - myself included. This kid has lived a life that very few can relate to, yet he still has a smile on his face and lives his life to the fullest.

Malachi was born into an orphanage in Ethiopia and was soon to be adopted by Jay and Kelly Siltzer, of Asheville, NC. Sadly, Malachi lost his new mother to leukemia and was then, himself, diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. Malachi is currently dealing with extensive treatments, a recent surgery, and an uncertain future.

Malachi is a big Star Wars fan, and while looking online to plan his upcoming 8th birthday, his family discovered the 501st Legion and reached out to us. I feel fortunate to have been able to attend this birthday party and see the happiness on Malachi’s face when we walked in. He is an incredible person and I feel honored to have spent the day with him. We had a great Star Wars themed party and Malachi truly seemed to enjoy every minute of it. Hopefully, if even only for a minute, we were able to take his mind off of the challenges that he faces every day.

A sincere thank you to the following troopers that were not only able to attend, but presented some amazing Star Wars gifts to Malachi:

-Bryan Roller (TK-14082)

-Anthony Conte (TI-28803)

-Michael Jarvis (Rebel Legion)

-Blake Fisher (Non-501st Darth Vader) - Blake, thanks for coming out and trooping with us. I hope to see you joining our ranks soon!

Also, a huge thank you to the following individuals who contributed to Malachi’s gifts (this made me proud of our Garrison!):

-Jason Boyd (TD-5945)

-Jordan Leitner (TI-24138)

-Matt Mascorro (TD-32702)

-Curtis Smith (DZ-41870)

As we were leaving, the family insisted on giving each of us an envelope as a thank you. We told them it was our pleasure to attend and we could not accept, but they insisted. They handed us $50 each, a token of how giving this family really is, despite their own hardships. We all agreed that this money will be donated to Make A Wish in Malachi’s name. They also presented us with a copy of Malachi’s book, which is sold as a fundraiser. It truly was a great day and a very meaningful troop.

Please be sure to visit the family’s Go Fund Me site to learn more:http://www.gofundme.com/malachisiltzer

Excerpts from his Go Fund Me site:

Here we are again, in an all too familiar situation. My nephew, Malachi, is battling a malignant brain tumor, just a little more than a year after he lost his mom to leukemia. This website was a blessing to our family then, and I have decided to use it again. It's hard on us not living close to Malachi. I find myself wondering each day what I can do to help my brother-in-law with the situation. Also, I have people ask me every day what they can do to help.

The number one thing you can do is pray. Malachi needs a miracle that only God can provide. He will begin his treatments soon. Pray he tolerates them well. Next, if you feel led to, I know a monetary donation will help. Any money raised will be used to help pay Malachi's medical bills and purchase anything he may need to be comfortable during this time. I want my brother-in-law to be at home with Malachi when he needs to be, and not worry about bills and missed paychecks. Any donation would be a blessing. Thank you!

I’m waiting for the family to email me more photos, but for now here are a few:

25008183016_0c01b7432e.jpg

Troopers with Malachi and his day, Jay.

24941232331_6dd459f511.jpg

Buckets off, troopers.

24403909124_56b8268df0.jpg

A few of the gifts presented to Malachi, courtesy of the Carolina Garrison. There were actually more than this since Bryan and Blake also brought some.

24403907934_bfd9442eae_c.jpg

Our MAW donation in Malachi's name.

24916788372_8e5778f4d7_z.jpg

Malachi's book.

• Like 3

Anthony Conte of the Carolina Garrison received this email from Malachi's aunt...

My family and I want to thank the Carolina Garrison for everything you did for Malachi at his 8th birthday party! He loved it! To see a smile on his face was priceless to us. I will send some pics in a separate email. I know you all need to do a report, so I wanted to go in a little more detail about Malachi's story.

Malachi was adopted by my sister Kelly and her husband Jay from Ethiopia when Malachi was one year old. He spent most of his first year in an orphanage. We loved Malachi from the first time we seen a picture of him, long before they traveled to Ethiopia to bring him home.

Malachi's mother, Kelly was diagnosed with a rare leukemia around the year Malachi turned 5 years old. She passed away in July 2014. This was very hard on Malachi needless to say. But he overcame the grief and has still been a very happy boy.

Malachi began having seizures in May 2015, with no real explanation. In November he was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. He has undergone 2 surgeries, six weeks of radiation and still gets chemo. We don't know what the future holds, but we know for now Malachi still smiles after everything he has been through and that gives us hope. He loves Star Wars, Legos, and he enjoys getting mail. If you would like to share his address it is

Malachi Siltzer

199 Charlestown Dr.,

Hendersonville, NC, 28792

Thanks again for everything!

Elizabeth Kingsmore

Please consider sending this little boy a card or letter. It would really brighten his day. Anthony suggested maybe sending a trading card.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...