Rotary Tools: Dremel vs. Proxxon

kman

Question for experienced builders: Dremel vs. Proxxon. Pros and cons of each? (Other than price. I know the Proxxon costs more. I can afford it. But is it worth it?)

Dremel:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L3RUW0/

I would not call me an experienced trooper builder by a long shot. But I personally like and use a Dremel. I also use it on polishing on my Harley Shovelhead parts and restoration. JMO, I like the Dremel.

Dremel is the preferred choice in rotary tools. I personally don't have a preference. I've been using an old Black & Decker tool for the past several years. Its compatible with the Dremel attachments. One could complete a whole armor kit without a rotary tool. It does make it easier though especially when cutting out the eye holes in a helmet. 

As a modelbuilder i would generalize it down to Dremel is more powerfull and Proxxon is more precise.

That said - both are not that impressive to me to justify their price. But they are the most known brands, and people buy and pay  for the name, too.

For very intricate details (scalemodels) i prefer hand"motorized" tools and drills (all those rotary tools seem to start at way to high rpms for many tasks with plastic), for the standard stuff i use one of the cheap homedepot offerings (ala 20-30€ with a boatload of toolbits, no remorse if it dies), and when it gets more rough i use pressurized airtools.

I use a dremel for many tasks including modeling, repair work and wood carving, if you don't do much of that I wouldn't bother if it just for a tk kit.

A set of files would be cheaper and sandpaper.

If you do then get a good one, the cheaper Dremels look the same but thats where it ends!

The better ones have much more control over the speed and a lot higher torque.

Never put too much strain on these kinds of tools though as your likely to burn them out.

The flex shaft attachment is good but be careful as they tend to heat up with prolonged use.

I have had the same one for the last 3/4 years with no problems.  :duim:

Edited by welshchris77

There is no "good" - even the more expensive have crappy bearings and weak motors. That´s why they don´t have any reasonable torque and have to rely on high rpms.

I have friends that fried their dremel/proxxon within a half year.  :laugh1:​ 

Btw, if you know what you do and use the right tool for the right job in a right way ..... some of my cheap ones are still running, 10+ years. 

A friend of mine bought the cheapest dremel that is often on offer at various outlets,

I tried it and it had very weak torque and no speed control,

The one I use is far better, definitely has better torque, and the ability to slow it right down is great for plastics so as not to burn or melt them.

I can put a lot more pressure on it when needed without slowing it down,

I hang mine from a hook above my work station and often use the flex attachment while carving hardwoods.

Have carved large pieces of white oak without a problem!  :D  

Its the The Dremel 400 Series Digital, 5.000 - 33.000 RPM - For exact speed adjustment in 1.000 RPM increments, 140w motor, I have only really used it a few times on plastic and wasn't very detailed work, they don't make that particular model anymore though, unfortunately but could probably find old stock somewhere.

Again the 5000 as the lowest setting.

But as mentioned, as a model and propbuilder i would prefer more torque with way lower speed - 5000 as the highest would be nice, with a starting under 200.

Nonetheless, for working on a armor once or twice a year, probably mostly with the sanding drum, it should work acceptable. I use my Aldi one nearly all the time at the slowest setting for that.

Unfortunately it´s just my wish, not an advice.  ;)

I would dance around a burning AT-AT if i can find a rotary tool that gives me those tech specs with good bearings.  :icon_beg:

My intention with all the above was just - don´t overthink it. As long as you´re only working on such stuff from time to time, it´s not really complicated. You don´t need the state of the art (what is not really out there), just don´t get the cheapest stuff that looks broken on the shelf already.

The other piece I really like is a "Deadman" switch.  It has a foot lever that will activate and deactivate the power to the Dremel, or whatever rotary tool you're using.  It lets you only run the tool for the exact amount of time you need it, preventing burn outs.  I've used it a lot while cutting resin helmets and it has helped out tremendously.  I think you can find one for under $25 at Amazon.

• Like 2

Thanks, all! I decided to save money (this time out) get the cheaper Dremel. If I manage to burn through it, I'll get the better-made Proxxon to replace it.

(sorry for the delay, for some reason I didn't auto-follow my own thread so I didn't see updates in my subscriptions list)