Sentry's ANH Stunt Build [AP]

A few more items were moved forward this weekend. I did heat bend both the belt and the thigh ammo pack, as well as putting inner strips on the front of the thighs. I'm waiting to do the shin and thigh outer strips at the armor party next weekend. There probably isn't much else I can finish before then. I know I have a lot of parts needing to be fitted, and an experienced eye will be a big help in getting that right.

i did get my elastics and webbing this weekend, and finished creating snap plates. I have not put any into the armor yet - maybe that could be done beforehand?

• Like 2

Some of the snap plates were added tonight, as well as adding elastic to the shoulder bells, and creating bicep hooks. I may need to redo the hooks, as they don't quite follow the contour of the bicep itself - but we will see how they feel once dried.

I also added the snaps in the posterior, as well as a rivet and elastic for the cod. Tomorrow, I'll probably create the female snap pieces to go between the snap plates, and see if I can at least get the armor to sit together vertically.

body1.jpg

body2.jpg

I did try a test fit of just the kidney and ab - it looks like I *might* be able to cut off the kidney properly where the notch is, but that requires the ab to keep all but about an inch on each side. I'll probably leave that for the armor party, and see what recommendations I get from the veterans.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 2

Finished up the elastics between the snap plates, and taped everything on, just to see. Learned a few things:

1) Handlers are a godsend. There is NO way I can get into this on my own, due to a few things noted below. Thankfully my youngest daughter was around to help.

2) Both shins and thighs seem to be too long, as I could not bend at the knees for much of anything. Also, they need to be fitted - currently they are way too wide.

3) I need to replace the elastics for the back to kidney with nylon straps, as there is a pretty good gap there.

4) Belt is not attached to the ab yet - that is next to be done.

Ab/kidney fitting has not been done either. That, along with the leg pieces, are waiting on the armor party this weekend.

Arms were workable, but will be better once shoulder bridges and elastics from bicep to forearm are added. The bicep hooks worked well.

What good are descriptions without pictures? Why, not so good, of course!

test_fit1.jpg

test_fit2.jpg

It is slowly coming together.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 2

So far so good! Looking awesome! And you're on the right track. When everything is put together properly, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to fit into by yourself. If you're using a garter system, thighs first, then boots, shins, ab and kidney/butt, then chest and back, shoulders, and arms, gloves, and bucket, and you're set to go!

• Like 2

I would suggest you tighten your strap between the back and kidney to close that gap. Not sure what level you're going to be shooting for, but I see a lot of people get dinged on that in Centurion applications. Making great progress!

• Like 1

The goal is Centurion, though I am sure there will need to be modifications along the way to get there. I have added a third elastic strap to try and minimize the back to kidney space. If that doesn't work, I may have to swap it for a nylon strap.

• Like 2

The goal is Centurion, though I am sure there will need to be modifications along the way to get there. I have added a third elastic strap to try and minimize the back to kidney space. If that doesn't work, I may have to swap it for a nylon strap.

Is there any way to position your back plate down allowing for more space between the shoulder strap area? If so then extra strap won't be required.

You may have to increase the white shoulder elastics -

• Like 1

Looking good! Reducing the back to kidney gap will look better and aid your Centurion application. For your legs, try moving your thighs up and your shins down, then add some foam to the outside of your thighs to correct alignment (center the thigh armor on the leg), then check for sizing/trimming. If you need more room for movement, you can always cut out some room at the back of the knee. It's canon and help greatly. ;)

• Like 1

Is there any way to position your back plate down allowing for more space between the shoulder strap area? If so then extra strap won't be required.

You may have to increase the white shoulder elastics -

For some reason, my back plate seems to "drop" at the edges, making the entire piece feel like it is resting on the two edge points, instead of evenly across the kidney plate.

I'll see if I can get some closer pics, as well as side shots, to show what I mean.

Looking good! Reducing the back to kidney gap will look better and aid your Centurion application. For your legs, try moving your thighs up and your shins down, then add some foam to the outside of your thighs to correct alignment (center the thigh armor on the leg), then check for sizing/trimming. If you need more room for movement, you can always cut out some room at the back of the knee. It's canon and help greatly. ;)

I knew alignment was a bit off with the shins, as they were still not sized at that point. However, thighs were up as far as I could get them, so I suspect I will need to trim the upper return and maybe take a little off of the inside to get them higher. Shins are also a bit long, and need a small amount taken off the bottom.

I'm definitely going to remove the edges for knee movement. I already feel like I have to walk peg legged. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

• Like 2

OK, ab/kidney concern:

Considering that the new AP comes with the extended ab and kidney, negating the need for shims for a lot of us. (Thanks Mark!)

I'm trying to determine if I can cut the kidney to use the notches that Mark molded in, rather than having to move them forward (as Aaron has famously done on his build). I've looked at the CRL, and there isn't anything specifying that the shim (if required) should be on the kidney or ab side. From the Centurion applications I have seen, it looks as if most people end up adding shims on the kidney, basically pushing the seam forward.

In my case, I can use the kidney notch as molded, if I take a minimum from the ab, rather than from the kidney. Attached is a photo of what I intend to remove (blue tape).

trim1.jpg

If I do that, then the sides should look like this (imagine the blue as removed):

trim2.jpg

Is this too far back?

EDIT: confirmed this should be ok for higher approval levels.

Edited by Sentry71

Busy weekend.

Saturday, I went with the 70th Explorers Garrison as a handler, to help out with the St Patrick's Parade in St Louis, MO. The weather was not the best (50F and misting all morning), but getting to see the outfits that members have, and the reactions of the kids (and adults) to the characters was awesome to behold.

​Group shot:

12675059_10154577577957004_1176572667_o_

(I'm on the far left, in the TK Jacket.)

There's nothing like a troop to get the desire rekindled!

Today was hot tub day. Forearms, shins and the chest plate/shoulder tabs were bathed and slightly modified to make things easier to wear. I noticed that the forearms had a habit of going back to the shape they were in (assuming the inner and outer strips had something to do with it going back to its old position so easily), but after two dips, they were at least more comfortable to wear. We will see if I have to re-dip tomorrow.

Shins have been trimmed, removing about 10mm from the bottom, and it makes all the difference in the world when trying to walk. I don't feel like my knees are being constricted like before. I still need to get the thighs shortened as well, for mobility. I'll worry about cutting out the backs of the knees later.

I reworked the lenses in the helmet, using a heat gun to mold the green lens material to the shape of the helmet openings, and then adding T nuts and screws to make the lenses removable.

Belt is done (including holster), and the hardware to attach it to the ab is complete as well.

Even with all of this work complete, there is still quite a bit to do before April 1 (local comicon):

- inner and outer strips on the thighs

- back outer strip for shins, plus Velcro

- shoulder straps and bridges

- ab to kidney closure (rivets, etc) on both sides

I was hoping to be done by this week (birthday on Tues), but oh well. Just happy to be making a lot more progress!

• Like 1

Busy weekend.

Saturday, I went with the 70th Explorers Garrison as a handler, to help out with the St Patrick's Parade in St Louis, MO. The weather was not the best (50F and misting all morning), but getting to see the outfits that members have, and the reactions of the kids (and adults) to the characters was awesome to behold.

​Group shot:

12675059_10154577577957004_1176572667_o_

(I'm on the far left, in the TK Jacket.)

There's nothing like a troop to get the desire rekindled!

Today was hot tub day. Forearms, shins and the chest plate/shoulder tabs were bathed and slightly modified to make things easier to wear. I noticed that the forearms had a habit of going back to the shape they were in (assuming the inner and outer strips had something to do with it going back to its old position so easily), but after two dips, they were at least more comfortable to wear. We will see if I have to re-dip tomorrow.

Shins have been trimmed, removing about 10mm from the bottom, and it makes all the difference in the world when trying to walk. I don't feel like my knees are being constricted like before. I still need to get the thighs shortened as well, for mobility. I'll worry about cutting out the backs of the knees later.

I reworked the lenses in the helmet, using a heat gun to mold the green lens material to the shape of the helmet openings, and then adding T nuts and screws to make the lenses removable.

Belt is done (including holster), and the hardware to attach it to the ab is complete as well.

Even with all of this work complete, there is still quite a bit to do before April 1 (local comicon):

- inner and outer strips on the thighs

- back outer strip for shins, plus Velcro

- shoulder straps and bridges

- ab to kidney closure (rivets, etc) on both sides

I was hoping to be done by this week (birthday on Tues), but oh well. Just happy to be making a lot more progress!

Great progress mate! I can relate to the recharge after attending a troop.

• Like 2

You're doing awesome! No pictures of latest, but sounds like you're staying on target, just have to change or rework the deadline you set for yourself. Glad all is going well, and looking awesome in the trooping dept. you'll be in armour soon enough to join your Garrison!

• Like 1

Thank you! I did have a good day. The weather was awesome for this time of year, and I was able to get some work on the shoulder bells done, as well as thigh inner strips and the ammo pack. Still no photos - camera on my phone is being difficult.

• Like 2

So, I was working on trying to get the sniper plate in place, and realized that both of the shin outer strips on the front look OFF. I'm not sure if I'm overreacting, or if these are off enough to require pulling and regluing.

shin_align.jpg

I was concerned that the sniper plate seems to have shifted right, and that the strip on the other shin is going to need to be "bent" to make it look even all the way down the front.

Is it your opinion that either/both need to be pulled and reglued?

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 1

I see what you're talking about with the sniper plate - and a tough call - if it were me I'd redo but that's me - however check reference photos first to see if they match some screen shots then make your decision mate.

• Like 2

Unless I saw it wrong, the reference pics in the photo reference gallery (of the beat up sniper) look to have the same issue.

I guess I will leave it until the GML or EI review says otherwise.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/sizes/2049-a-new-hope-sniper-knee-placement-lfl-caleb-01

Thanks for the suggestion, Aaron!

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 2