Making latex hand plates alternate style

Thought i would show how i have made my hand plates.
Started off by making a template .
v1HNTOO.jpg
UsEXYX7.jpg
The measurements were used to make my template out of thin card . I used the back of my hand and cut out and refined a paper template until i was happy with size and that is how i arrived at the measurements above.
Once i had my template i rolled out some plastercene until i reached a thickness i was happy with and then cut out my two base shapes.
bA7FnIb.jpg
After the base was done i re rolled the plastercene making it thinner this time for the next level of detail this was marked and cut then added to the base and smoothed in . This process was repeated for the third layer of detail.
H03LUi6.jpg
Now that i had my master i could make some molds. Using a sandwich box i put the master in the bottom and then covered in plaster of paris .
8eNOUKU.jpg
When they had dried out I filled them with latex.
FRFwYxE.jpg
This was left for a day or two to dry.
jaM1O8b.jpg
As the latex dries it shrinks a bit so was very easy to remove from the molds.
7vsVDeC.jpg
Done just need to paint white and attach to some gloves.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Great idea, Mark!  You make it look so darned easy!  What style of TK are you using these for?

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

Thanks guy's <br>

Joseph they are for my TM Hero ANH and to be honest the hardest part was the setting out of the template once that was done the masters and molds only took a couple of hours to make and cast.

Of course! I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Alternate hand plates are well accepted now, even for Stunt armors, and you have done a great job with your molds. They certainly look like the part.

Great idea! I wonder if I can use the handplates from the Anovos kit (which should arrive next month) to make my own molds just like you did, and then cast them in latex as well. I'm thinking of maybe adding white paint to the latex in order to get a better color.

Maybe even try casting them in white acrylic sealant (the stuff which comes in a tube which you put into a kind of gun)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks Germain thought that they should be ok but great to have a second opinion.<br>

Olivier you may find that just putting white paint into the latex may compromise the flexibility or just go lumpy. I have put a latex colour addative whitener in my second cast which has made the latex more of a cream colour.<br>

The idea to use tube sealant sounds like it should work but I tried it and it was just a big mess hard to get the mold to fill without any air pockets and to sticky to properly remove from the mold.

• Like 1

Yeah, true. Anyway, I suppose the mold-making process should be straightforward enough, and I'll just get liquid latex like you did. There's actually a sort of wall paint which we call latex-paint over here (though I suppose it's just acrylic) maybe I can add some of that into the mix.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Olivier making the mold was definitely the easiest part.-------------------

this is the addative i have used andthis is the paint ---------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021