I may be an idiot but another hero vs stunt question

Really sorry is this is a bone question or been asked before, I couldn't find it on a search and I'm new to all this... That's my excuse...<br><br>

I've ordered a set of ATA armour which is some way in the future but the helmet will be with me soon.<br><br>

It would seem the ATA set comes with the ears to make both a hero or a stunt suit, but I have read that the hero helmets had more teeth and bubble eyes. <br><br>

Firstly, are the number of teeth on the ATA helmet correct for Hero or Stunt?<br><br>

Secondly, I had intended to make a hero suit, but the eye pieces supplied are flat.<br><br>

Would a hero helmet with flat eye pieces work against 501st approval? Would I be better to aim for stunt? Am I thinking too much into this?

There are four differences in the helmet, that distinguish a hero from a stunt helmet.

The hero helmet has three holes between the teeth, bubble lenses, three bumps and two screws on the ear Piece.

The stunt helmet has four holes, flat lenses, four bumps and three screws.

As far as I know (somebody please prove me wrong) ATA supplies only the parts for a stunt helmet (the two pair of ears being identical), so you are already set with you decision ...

And, yes, a hero helmet with flat lenses will not be approved.

Edited by Bone

All of bone's info is correct. The "hero" helmets for the original film were not just stunt helmets assembled differently. They were completely separate molds giving them a slightly different look used both for the hero TK and the TIE fighter pilot. If you were to make the ATA into a hero, I would suggest taking the time to iron out the 4th and 5th tooth indents leaving only the three as well as opening up the eyes slightly larger.

There are four differences in the helmet, that distinguish a hero from a stunt helmet.

The hero helmet has three holes between the teeth, bubble lenses, three bumps and two screws on the ear Piece.

The stunt helmet has four holes, flat lenses, four bumps and three screws.

As far as I know (somebody please prove me wrong) ATA supplies only the parts for a stunt helmet (the two pair of ears being identical), so you are already set with you decision ...

And, yes, a hero helmet with flat lenses will not be approved.

Little correction here ;).

The difference between the Hero and Stunt regarding the teeth isn't concerning how many of them are cut out as you can actually see a lot of Stunt helmets with only three teeth per side hollowed. The Hero helmets are actually missing the last teeth of the frown because the molds were deteriorated when they were pulled and the details didn't come out.

Jimmy, here's some pictures I made few time ago showing the differences between both. Maybe it will help you:

galler10.jpg

galler11.jpg

And flat lenses for a Hero helmet are allowed for basic 501st approval. But I would suggest using bubble ones as it's part of the thing.

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 1

Thanks for your help everyone. Interesting read. <br><br>

One of the reasons I preferred the hero helmet was due to the brow gap above the eyes.<br><br>

Is the brow gap down to the individual? I'd rather have the trim sitting on the eye as per hero, but would this affect approval if I stuck to a stunt helmet? I actually prefer the frown of the stunt helmet...

The height of the brow and how the faceplate hinges varies in the films. It's more or less up to you but in the movie the heroes had slightly lower brows. It wouldn't affect 501st basic acceptance.<br><br>

In my experience, I originally liked the hero look but the bubble lenses gave me headaches. I switched to stunt for the flat lenses.

In the research I did the bubble lenses seemed to be a cause of issue for people, apparently they affect the visibility, so maybe stunt is the way to go.<br><br>

I also can't find any difference between the actual suits other than the helmet and belt, is this the case?

I have the single piece bubble lens, although for trooping I use smoky grey flat lenses. I use Velcro to switch out the lenses, as the flat plastic is about 1/4 of an inch bigger then the eye sockets. I tack both lenses the same, two small pieces at top, and one at bottom. This also allows for air to flow through the bucket, when there's a breeze.

I've ordered a set of ATA armour which is some way in the future but the helmet will be with me soon.<br><br>

It would seem the ATA set comes with the ears to make both a hero or a stunt suit

The ATA kit doesn't come with hero ears. It comes with two identical sets of stunt ears in case you mess one up.