Yet Another MR CE Mod

Well. Started the MR CE mod this weekend. Ripped the rubber brow and neck seals off. Dremelled off the aerators and the dreaded ear mod was completed.

The Before

PXnNero.jpg

The After

uIBg3zr.jpg

I think the left ear is slightly larger than the right. Might change it, might not. Opinions?

The next thing I'm going to try and tackle is making the left eye more like the original ANH bucket - i.e. the eye bump. I have this modeling epoxy which might prove good for this. Will try it out and see what happens.

More pics as I progress.

DD.

Timjim said:
Or you could try heating it up from inside the eye and bumping it out.. ?

Don't know if there's enough plastic to do it though..

Don't forget the teeth too :P

Looking good :)

Yah, thought about that as well. There is a little excess that COULD be heated and bent. I tried the epoxy and it didn't really work. It would be way to flimsy. I don't think its something I need to worry about. I'll just get an AP or more accurate bucket down the road.

As for the frown. Yup, on the list. Just need to find the files to do it right. So much to do...

Here a nice Oops. Actually helped me to take the ear cap off, but damn. I missed the centre post and had to chip away at the post with a small screwdriver. That worked, but was a lot more work. I'll just have to epoxy it up and blend it in, shouldn't be a problem.

SXdDujY.jpg

Some more progress pictures.

Here is my sloppy use of epoxy.

fhONvDN.jpg

After sanding a bit on the frown seam

GZNi5EX.jpg

Ear back on showing bolts holding it in place. Noticed that the ear cap does not truly conform, so I may have to heat and bend it a bit.

LNILzuL.jpg

Otherwise, so far so good. More sanding and then some bondo spot puddy. Next is the filing the frown.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. Did the brow trim mod. I did it with the lid still attached, wasn't too difficult, just need a nice sharp blade and a steel ruler to fit under the lid so as to not score the plastic beneath.

fRpEb0d.jpg

I taped it off with painters tape. I thought it would be easier to apply and reapply to get the line how I liked it. Then scored it and then applied more pressure (with ruler underneath) until the blade went clean through. Sanded the edges and put the brow back on to test fit. Looks good I think.

A nice sand of the whole bucket and I think I'll be ready for primer.

Question. What colour of white is everyone using? I know that Krylon Fusion has two whites - gloss white and satin. Which would match the FX armour more? Mine seems to be a bit dull..that's my only dilemma.

Don't know if you can tell, but I have drilled out and filed the fourth tooth. Just need to widen it a bit and I'm done that. Look pretty good I think...

DD.

I'm just in the process of painting the inside of my bucket and then on to priming the outside. However, after looking at some pics of TKs going for their ELITE status with MRCE lids, I'm wondering about colour matching.

I'm obviously going to be painting mine. Originally I was going to go with a Krylon Gloss White, however now I'm thinking that maybe I should go with the Satin White. If the cap is any indication of the dried colour, I think the Satin may be a more accurrate match with my FX. The Satin seems more of a cream colour, similar to how my armour looks (in my opinion). Because it sure isn't a pure white as the Gloss seems to be.

So I have a question for everyone. Has anyone used the Krylon Satin White and how does it match with your current armour? Any other paint products out there which might serve better?

I'll ultimately find out this weekend when I paint it. And if it doesn't match I'll try something else.

Thanks..

DD.