November 2015 Newsletter - Sith Edition

Nothing on the DL. With the exception of Eric and myself, we are the only command staff active.

The Maul makeup/horn application is in the works.

I can use one of the last Featured Member articles for our Sith Spotlight.

Maybe because I am a bit burned out with the CRL development, work & trooping that my brain is not understanding what will be needed/how vader is put together, & the Kylo spotlight.

I was hoping to capture how one straps, assembles or puts on a vader. For example as a TK we can show how there a thigh pieces that go on first and how the individual pieces are strapped together.

In regards to Kylo, I thought we could showcase what progress the members have done in terms of research so far. What kind of cloth they sourced to match as closely to the original is an example.

OK.

Maybe Eric would like to help out on that one or if anyone else on the FISD staff is a vader could assist. I personally don't want to keep using myself as a model for it as I used me as the troop.

Looks like we have Dawn & Luke Daley that did a ton of the work to building Kylo as well as getting the references. Dawn has had her Kylo complete since May & waiting for 501st approval for it.

For my next section the Kylo research by asking our 2 Kylo experts on the SLD how they got started:

My name is Dawn Bright (SL-13377) I am proud member of the 501st Southern California Garrison. I am a seamstress by hobby and I love putting together Legion 1st ( 1st in the Legion) costumes and assisting my fellow costumers with their creations. I am proud to say that I have five completed Legion 1sts between the 501 and Rebel Legion. 

When I saw Kylo Rens "leaked" image November of 2014. I knew that was going to be a costume I would be making. When I arrived at C7 (Celebration Anaheim) I had one thing in mind. Get up the stairs and see that costume in person (On display at the Force Awakens Costume Room). I stood in line for almost and hour and was able to take hundreds of photos Thursday at Celebration Anaheim. 

http://imgur.com/a/7foiP

The costume in person was in shambles from being incorrectly placed on the dummy. They even had the back of the door to the costume unlocked. This is where I got shots of the boots, midcoat and both sides of the pleated tunic peeking from inside the armpit. Seeing the costume in person allowed me to analyze the threads and fibers of each piece and match them with the plaque which was on display.

Initially after getting home on the 21st of April I did a quick write up on the Sithlord forums 

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showtopic=9148&page=1

and headed to the fabric district. April 21st in the rain on my sons birthday I trenched the Los Angeles fabric district. After searching for hours, showing hundreds of fabric vendors close ups I found a bolt of fabric with a 2x2 weave that would be accurate enough for my liking on the surcoat. It still wasn't perfect but it was the closest thing I'd ever seen. I took it (and the rest of my fabric home and begin my intense research and break down of Kylos costume.

One of the best ways we originally stated gathering information on parts for Kylo Ren was a board on the Sithlord forums  "Kylo Ren research and Development". I started there in the early days of the build and we helped each other pick apart the sections. I began sewing quickly, hoping I would be able to finish and have a quality costume worthy of Legion approval. 

It felt like every time I "finished" the costume something new would pop up. The vanity fair video and article showed us many in-depth details we had originally missed. That's when I met Luke Daley (BH 21313) from the UK Garrison and his research on the basket weave surcoat (as well as a number of the other fabrics). He had found a custom material maker in the UK to begin producing the surcoat material in bulk. 

Fortunately by the time he was ready to start taking orders, we knew how much material would be needed. I had already completed tutorials and write up and was able to assist with how much material would be needed per coat and cape. 

Yet again I started my costume over with the surcoat when I received my batch of Luke's perfect 2x2 basket weave material. But I still had a problem, how do I coat it?

I took dozens of scraps before I found a suitable coating. Something that shines that doesn't crinkle when dry and is still flexible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN3NUje657k

The costume has been a labor of love for me as it has for many others, from the pleated sleeves right down to the pleated boots. I have never felt such a strong connection to a character I know nothing about.... I proudly sweat through all five layers of my waxed and resined Kylo Ren costume. There has been an awakening..

From Luke Daley BH-21313

I started my Kylo Ren journey similarly to many others by knowing nothing, and then there was that first trailer within 88 seconds my mind was blown and who the hell was that guy with the weird lightsaber..

I tuned in along with millions of others to the constant stream of videos and photos from Anaheim when I first caught a glimpse of the Kylo Ren Costume at this point I knew it was going to be a costume I wanted to have.

First things first I got some super high res shots from the constant stream of content online and designed the Kylo Ren Buckle, everyone asked me how I stumbled upon the dimensions I started the way i always do with a photo by scaling the photo of the costume to Adam Driver’s height the belt measurement came out to just over 5 inches I standardised that down to 5 inches for simplicity and A-typically most leather workers are cutting in whole inches and it lined up by the time you accounted for the boot heels and helmet

It didn’t take me too long but I wanted it to be an open job so I took comments from members of the RPF and refined my design within a few days I had the final design nailed I printed it and tested the Scale out i was very happy with the part so I had a master printed at shapeways and began to cast buckles for myself and the community I even gave the files away because we’re all in this together and if it feels good to share!

I’ll be honest after i finished that part I turned my gaze to other parts on the costume, the belt, the fabric the helmet what more could I learn from these pictures

My next project was to begin the Saber Clip project that is still on going from the side shot we had i created a 3d model just to help people try and track down the real part but after no result I made it a finished functioning clip i discovered it’s a fantastic design and as we see in trailer one it is used to great dramatic effect since he can just slam down on the sabre and withdraw it vs the almost cumbersome covertec clip method, with every new photo i get i revise the design I've now reached my 5th revision and it’s looking better than ever i’m even having it made at a machine shop each clip consists of no less than 34 parts including mounting hardware..

Somewhere among this I kept hearing the crazy notion on how hard this fabric was to find and I mean hard like you aren’t going to find it in a year of searching, within the space of 2 months I learnt more about fabric construction and weaves than I did in my entire life until that point, I began to consider what if I got this custom made.. That consideration evolved into a now staggering 800 meter order of fabric for various Kylo’s globally it involved about 3 draft revisions with a mill I worked with and various diagrams and specifications on the fabric to get it just right, the coating is another topic still being looked into by many but we now have a solid fabric to work on!

Aside from all of this I’ve had my hand in specing leather and designs to make seamless closures as well as even discovering a flaw on the Anaheim display (the buckle is upside down) i had this confirmed by a Lucas Film representative when i asked which felt like a great detail to find.

I also made the huge dive into designing helmets i’ve never made 3d item’s so large so it was a challenge i enjoyed for sure after some 105 hours of design i had it done (at least for version 1.0) i also decided to give this away for free too because i just want people to have access to stuff that might not get. 

I've also been constantly scrubbing information on the costume having late night skype conversations to help people and discuss costume points as and when it came in and running a group on facebook that now exceeds 1000 members of absolute kylo fanatics, I have to give those guys credit also for supporting my work and keeping up the spirit of openness and exchange within the community, they have been the BEST people to work among.

• Like 1

Sith Spotlight:

Congratulations goes out to Ronald Lares (Darth Benz) SL-5928 of Empire City Garrison for being the FIRST Darth Vader to complete 200 troops in the Sith Lord Detachments Great Jedi Purge program. His 200th troop was at FARE Walk @ Eisenhower Park, NY on 10/24/2015!

His very first entry in the Jedi Purge was way back on 2/16/2011 at I-Con 30 at Stony Brook NY.

Event: 200

Event Name: FARE Walk

Date:10/24/2015

DSC_9038_zpswwycipcb.jpg

The Jedi Purge Program awards 1 "kill" for each troop in your approved Sith Lord costume. Each member must have their own thread & provide 1 photo of them in character for it to count in the program. Currently patches/sticker for each of the 10 levels is in development.

• Like 2

Star Garrison member Zac Sotman (TD 6753) passed away Thursday night (10-29-15). Some of you may remember him when he trooped in Austin, TX at Panera Bread where he managed the store, or from other troops in the area. Some may remember him from when he lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and trooped since at least 2006. Remember when you troop with the 501st, you never march alone. RIP brother. (photo by James Dollins)

12196103_1061882013831381_85040464162379

*feel free to add or edit this as necessary.

Thanks Matt and Clint. I'm getting some photos ready so far but it's a busy time and I haven't been able to spend more than a few minutes on the boards each time aside from just commenting a little here and there.

I'll start putting up the columns and roles very soon.

The SLD's How to:l Applying Darth Maul Make-up by SL-6096 (also TK-6096)

Mauling up- Pre makeup- shave head and face, trim eye brows. Take shower and wash head, neck, and face thoroughly to remove oils.

Applying horns- using pros-aid, or whatever high quality prosthetic adhesive you choose, (this tutorial is specific to pros-aid) apply to horns and let dry clear. Then once it is dry clear, apply a second coat. Once that coat is dried clear then wipe the surface of your skin where the horn will go with rubbing alcohol and apply horn. Hold the horn in place for 10 seconds and then it is good to go. (I would love to be specific on where to apply the horns but it is slightly different from person to person, use a screen accurate picture as reference)

Contacts- I usually do this right after applying horns because you have a high chance of messing up your makeup if you do it after.

post-16342-0-08739400-1448026138_thumb.jpg

Applying makeup- now this is the tricky part, everyone does this a little different, but having good Ray Park reference pictures is key for everyone. Also paint varies, but most guys I know use either Reel Creations (which is what I use) or Ben Nye paint key is to use something alcohol activated so you will sweat through it and always use the same brand for everything so the colors match up.(This is how I do it), first of all I use an air brush and air brush specific paint from reel creations, first for the large red area on the face and then the large black area on the head and neck.

post-16342-0-86024900-1448026148_thumb.jpgpost-16342-0-05984200-1448026159_thumb.jpgpost-16342-0-37094300-1448026163_thumb.jpgpost-16342-0-79616400-1448026169_thumb.jpg

I use a big baby bottle cap to cover my horns while spraying around them. Then on to the detail. I use the reel creations color pots and hand paint all the detail. There is a specific formula to how I do it so that my fave looks more like Ray Parks, but everyone's face is different so you just have to practice and get to know your face, and better yet, get to know Rays face. Once you are done with the fine detail, spray on sealer if you wish, this holds the paint on better and it won't rub off when your suit rubs it.

post-16342-0-76765500-1448026175_thumb.jpgpost-16342-0-28636800-1448026179_thumb.jpg

Teeth- using coffee stain or light brown and black tooth enamel, apply the brown color first to all teeth that show when you scowl, completely cover the teeth. Once the brown is dry then go through with the black and only put it in between your teeth and put a couple dots here and there at the end of the teeth to make them look rotting. Once you are don that, make sure you stick in your Screen accurate ear stud and start revealing yourself to the Jedi:) you are done.

Edited by thechosenhitman

The SLD's How to:l Applying Darth Maul Make-up by SL-6096 (also TK-6096)

Mauling up- Pre makeup- shave head and face, trim eye brows. Take shower and wash head, neck, and face thoroughly to remove oils.

Applying horns- using pros-aid, or whatever high quality prosthetic adhesive you choose, (this tutorial is specific to pros-aid) apply to horns and let dry clear. Then once it is dry clear, apply a second coat. Once that coat is dried clear then wipe the surface of your skin where the horn will go with rubbing alcohol and apply horn. Hold the horn in place for 10 seconds and then it is good to go. (I would love to be specific on where to apply the horns but it is slightly different from person to person, use a screen accurate picture as reference)

Contacts- I usually do this right after applying horns because you have a high chance of messing up your makeup if you do it after.

Applying makeup- now this is the tricky part, everyone does this a little different, but having good Ray Park reference pictures is key for everyone. Also paint varies, but most guys I know use either Reel Creations (which is what I use) or Ben Nye paint key is to use something alcohol activated so you will sweat through it and always use the same brand for everything so the colors match up.(This is how I do it), first of all I use an air brush and air brush specific paint from reel creations, first for the large red area on the face and then the large black area on the head and neck. I use a big baby bottle cap to cover my horns while spraying around them. Then on to the detail. I use the reel creations color pots and hand paint all the detail. There is a specific formula to how I do it so that my fave looks more like Ray Parks, but everyone's face is different so you just have to practice and get to know your face, and better yet, get to know Rays face. Once you are done with the fine detail, spray on sealer if you wish, this holds the paint on better and it won't rub off when your suit rubs it.

Teeth- using coffee stain or light brown and black tooth enamel, apply the brown color first to all teeth that show when you scowl, completely cover the teeth. Once the brown is dry then go through with the black and only put it in between your teeth and put a couple dots here and there at the end of the teeth to make them look rotting. Once you are don that, make sure you stick in your Screen accurate ear stud and start revealing yourself to the Jedi:) you are done.

I have the pics to accompany this on my computer to send to whomever when ready

Just place the pictures here and I'll save them in my photobucket and post it in the main post. Thanks!

Hey!!!   Not sure if you've all see it yet or not, but the #ForceForDaniel movement that has been going around just got answered.

Daniel Fleetwood just got done watching an unedited version of The Force Awakens.  He received a phone call from JJ Abrams yesterday, telling him that some people were bringing the movie to his home near Houston, TX this afternoon.

Star Garrison will be trooping his home on Saturday, to present him with honorary membership in the Garrison.  I'm not going to be able to attend, not sure if Clint will be there or not, but I believe that Andrew (Fuumantroop) will be.  I will see if we can secure some pictures from the troop.

This is Fanboys come true.  Amazing story...  

Hey!!!   Not sure if you've all see it yet or not, but the #ForceForDaniel movement that has been going around just got answered.

Daniel Fleetwood just got done watching an unedited version of The Force Awakens.  He received a phone call from JJ Abrams yesterday, telling him that some people were bringing the movie to his home near Houston, TX this afternoon.

Star Garrison will be trooping his home on Saturday, to present him with honorary membership in the Garrison.  I'm not going to be able to attend, not sure if Clint will be there or not, but I believe that Andrew (Fuumantroop) will be.  I will see if we can secure some pictures from the troop.

This is Fanboys come true.  Amazing story...  

Thanks Tim that's a great idea. We could also get one of the troopers to write a short memoir. lol I wonder if Disney will force the troopers out as only Daniel gets to see the movie.

Don't worry about the mid month timeline. I was thinking of taking a break for December. Maybe a nonstandard NL edition for December, is that OK Eric? If we're taking a break then we can release this NL towards the later half of November.

Unfortunately I can't make it to Daniel's troop this weekend. Can you put a shoutout on FB for any troopers attending to get pics and a write up Tim?

• Like 1

Just updated the first post with our columns and content titles. I'm goign to an armour party tomorrow so I'll try and get some pictures taken of the Stormtrooper armour.

We still need pictures of vader armour and soft parts.

And we need headers just for the new titles I added in my first post. We could use the same style as the headers we are already using. They will also need to be saved into the FISD photobucket.

Thanks Tim that's a great idea. We could also get one of the troopers to write a short memoir. lol I wonder if Disney will force the troopers out as only Daniel gets to see the movie.

Don't worry about the mid month timeline. I was thinking of taking a break for December. Maybe a nonstandard NL edition for December, is that OK Eric? If we're taking a break then we can release this NL towards the later half of November.

Word.

-Eric

Okay...  Troop with Daniel Fleetwood went quite well.  

He saw the movie prior to me making that post, so there were no Troopers to be run off.  :D

I've got two TKs who were there collaborating to give their take on it, and I've got our Garrison Event Coordinator (a Centurion TK himself) contributing some from his perspective as to how a fast reaction event, as big as this really is, happens so quickly, and is carried out and executed so smoothly.  I've offered our GCO the opportunity to collaborate with him if she desires to do so, but I haven't heard from her as to whether she will be doing so.

All of them are targeting the end of the week to have their parts done.  Once I've received them, I'm going to do a small intro/outro bit to tie it all together and we'll have it ready to go.  Additionally, many members of the Garrison donned the armor to get some video or photos shot of them welcoming Daniel to the Garrison, and posted them on his wife's FB page.  

Additionally, I owe you a write up for Germain's FISD Achievement Award, and that will also be done this week.  ;)

• Like 1

Very nice updates guys, I have some photos from the international troop for the Singapore Changi troop. I'll post them here.

I don't know if it extends to us as well but the pr department has said we cannot say it was our troops/garrisons for it as it was a cast event.

Very nice updates guys, I have some photos from the international troop for the Singapore Changi troop. I'll post them here.

can't wait to see that!

I don't know if it extends to us as well but the pr department has said we cannot say it was our troops/garrisons for it as it was a cast event.

Understood. Which made me wonder whether it should go inside Notable Troops or Just for Fun section.

Either way I won't mention 501st. Althoguh the emcee at the event did mention the 501st I heard... :laugh1:

Special Edition Banner - Clint, WIP

In Memoriam - Done, thanks Clint!

From the PRO - WIP

From the DL - Eric, will you have any updates for this month?

From the XO  - Pumpkin, do you have any topics to share this month?

Darth Vader and the Stormtrooper - Awaiting Vader pics (just post them here and I will save them and post them in the main post)

Kylo Ren and the First Order Stormtrooper - Matt and Evan (photos: same as above)

Darth Maul Makeup - Matt (Photos same as above)

Memoirs - Tim, WIP

Notable Troops -  Glen, Matt's one, and Singapore Changi troop

Just for Fun - (Blue Milk Special Strip)Evan

Advanced Tactics Awards and Sith Spotlight - Sith Spotlight Completed, awaiting Advanced Tactics

Follow FISD