Deciding first build AP vs ATA

Hi there!  This is my first post here on the forums (post introduction).  I'm so thankful for this site! I've been browsing the website and researching for a while now, and it's nice to see a community I can rely on for helpful information.  I have a BUNCH of questions, and hope you guys can help me out.

I'm looking to get ANH stunt TK armor, at 501st approval level.  I might shoot for EIB, now or later (I don't know if I'll be bitten by that bug).  I'm not very handy, and I'm new to this.  The most building I've ever done is Legos as a kid, and a BBQ that one time...  But it's really important to me that I assemble this from the ground up (trimming, etc).

After all the research I've done, it's come down to AP or ATA (ABS either way). I was hoping for some opinions and advice to help decide.  I've set aside a budget of $2,000 and wait time isn't really an issue.  I'm in the U.S. So I know ATA is local.

I'm 5' 7 1/2" and weigh ~140 pounds.  My dimensions are:

Calves: 17.5"
Thighs: 18"
Waist: 36" (I wear 30-32 waist jeans)
Hips: 39"
Forearm: 12.5"
Bicep: 12.5"
Helmet: 23" (7 3/8 hat size)
Legs: 35.5"
Torso: 20"

I have long legs and a shorter torso, so I think the legs might assemble easier, but I may have to over-trim the ab & chest plate, etc.

Which armor would you recommend based on these measurements?  Would one (AP vs ATA) fit "better" (less trimming) than the other?

Is the ATA bucket bigger than the AP?  Which would be easier to fit fans/speakers?

It's kind of silly, but I'm worried about my nose.  I feel it has a high bridge, and length might be a concern? I'm not sure.  Is the AP bucket noticeably smaller?  I wonder if a slightly larger ATA may fit better.

If ATA armor is bigger than AP, how so?  In length?  Girth?  If the girth is too big, how do I solve that?  Is it difficult for a beginner?

I've read that AP pieces don't line up great, and take some work to connect properly.  Does anyone know if ATA is any better?  I think they're both of TE lineage?  So I don't know if they'll be similar.  Since I'm a noob, I'de rather have an easier build job.

Looking into butt joints vs overlap, I like the butt joint method.  I read AP seams overlap, but can be assembled with butt joints.  How does that work?  Would ATA be considerably easier to work with using the butt joining method?  (Is AP easy enough to butt join?)

I used to weigh 160 until recently.  Is either kit more forgiving with weight gain/loss?  (This is probably up to the builder)  I thought I read about a Strapping rig that allowed for a little change.

I'm also interested in the future, if I need parts replaced.  Do both vendors sell pieces individually (and would wait times play a factor in this)?

Are there any other major differences?  I think ATA has a sharper shape and more detail?  And what about different left/right arms/legs?  ATA buckets seem to be "more" EIB eligible (aerators, bumpy cap); is that enough of a time-saver to be a "deal breaker" over an AP helmet?

Just your personal opinion in look, which do you prefer?  Bucket?  Armor?  I saw Pandatrooper's ABS ATA helmet build and thought it looked beautiful!  That's a point for ATA for me.

I know it's a lot of questions, but your guys' advice would be super helpful and very much appreciated.  I can't wait to here back!  Thanks!

I can't comment on the ATA/AP differences. I do recommend if you want EIB or Centurion that you start your build with that in mind.  It's far easier to incorporate those requirements up front than to try to upgrade a finished build.  

My understanding that ATA is better equipped to handle guys who are abit bigger than the our build. You and me have about the same dimensions in everything except that I'm 5'5 and 150pds. Im going to be biased with AP because I went with them. They had the option of their pieces trimmed and I wanted the holster/gloves addition. (which oddly enough I no longer use because I transitioned to HWT). As for your nose issue, with whatever who you go with, you should cut out eyelets for your helmet instead of using the whole visor piece. This oddly enough made more room for me; the visor used to sit on my nose or push against it.

I would definitely recommend building with EIB or Centurion in mind, it's not much more work. What I found helpful when deciding between ATA and AP (I went with AP) was looking through the EIB/Centurion application posts to see what the armor looked like on people closer to my size. I'm 6' and 155-160 and AP fits me very well, but much bigger than that size and you'd probably have to use shims on the sides of the ab/kidney area.

I have both an ATA and an AP bucket, I prefer the AP. Either one is fine and has plenty of room for fans and all that. The AP bucket does come with the less accurate aerators as you mentioned, but you can buy a set of accurate ones easily enough. You also need the more accurate S-trim.

AP can definitely be assembled with the butt join method, the kit comes with the extra strips of plastic you need for that.

You seem like you've done your homework, which is great. Take your time and go for at least EIB from the beginning and you'll be just fine! I would recommend AP for your body size, but ATA is also excellent so you can't go wrong with either option.

Wow, some great comments!  I guess I'll be going EIB from the get go :)

aliens8us: The eyelets sound like a good idea.  Thanks.

bearings: I might have done some homework, but I totally missed the requests forum, and didn't realize they put up their measurements.  I'll need to look into that.

Thanks for the help so far!  It's really helpful to get some advice from the front lines!

• Like 1

Hey Michael, I have an AP and it is great kit. It was straight forward to build and suits 32"-34" waist comfortably. The details on the AP helmet have been smoothed out and tidied up, where as the ATA still has all the bumps and paint runs visible. If you are aiming for EIB (and I would) then the AP is fine for your height weight etc.

all armour needs to be trimmed and assembled to fit you properly, so regardless of which you decide on, your journey will be the same.

ATA have a rather long waiting list where as Mark from AP generally has a short wait period. You could also check out MTK, just PM Mike who runs Trooperbay for details.

Good luck on this exciting adventure you have embarked on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know you are asking about AP vs ATA but have you considered troopermaster? This set is within your budget. It is a fantastic set of armor, and can be made centurion right out of the box. It has all the correct helmet pieces and armor details needed.

It is beautifully sculpted and has a brilliant gloss finish.

I have a set and am close to your dimensions. You can build it to fit with no problem.

Check out my build thread or my Death Star room thread to see an example.

You know, I had not considered TM.  I was mainly looking into these two becasue I'de heard their size was closer to mine.  But boy...TM looks really good!  Even to my untrained eye (relatively speaking), it was really pretty.  That helmet just struck me back into the movies!

However, I think I'm still going to go with one of my first two options.  For some reason my gut is just telling me I might be "over-buying"  with TM, so to speak.  Not sure how to explain it.  Almost like I'd rather save it for a possible future build when I can appreciate it more?  Does that make sense?

Pragmatically though, it sounds like Paul doesn't make them that often, so I wonder how available replacement parts would be, or even how to get one (I guess I'd have to PM him).  Since my last post. I contacted both sellers, and am leaning towards AP.  I know I said wait time wasn't an issue, but the wait list for ATA was just going to be too long.  I guess you could call it a tie breaker.  Both armors look really good.

Definately open to more comments here.  I'm probably going AP and ordering soon, but any/all pieces of advice are really welcome. I read somewhere that one guy was going to buy a spare helmet kit as a practice run on his first build.  I think I'll do the same :P

P.S.  Chills: Awesome Deathstar room :jc_doublethumbup:

Well Chills, you did it...now I'm still researching TM armor, haha!  Thanks for the idea.  I figure better to spend the extra time researching instead of rushing into a purchase.  I'll need to PM Paul.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like AP pieces don't line up easily.  That worries me for my first build.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is it a big deal?  What about TM?  Do the pieces fit easily?

I also read TM is a "flexible" armor or something?  What's that about?

And TM uses thicker plastic, right?  I guess it's more durable?  Is it more difficult to trim?

Personally, I don't find lineage to be much of a concern.  I'm more concerned with practicality than accuracy.

• Like 1

LOL, well those are a lot of questions. :)

I know that AP and ATA armor can be made to look fantastic, there are plenty of Centurions with that armor. I was actually looking to get AP when I first started. 

I went with TM on the suggestion of gazmosis, from this board. I'm VERY happy with the armor.

First off, Paul is quite responsive to PMs. The wait wasn't that long, either. I think it was just over 2.5 months from when I first contacted him to when I received my big brown box. It might be a little longer, now, since TFA is coming out in a few months. Somewhere on the board there's mention that he only does a run every so often, but that's outdated info. Paul is constantly making his armor. He has a 1.5mm and a 2.0mm version. I bought the latter because it is GLEAMING white.

The build went quite smoothly, the ABS is easy to cut with lexan scissors and it's easy to sand the edges. The ABS has a decent flex to it, so it has some give and won't break under pressure. 

Paul did a fantastic job sculpting the pieces, and they are highly screen-accurate. The pieces line up well, and I never ran into major issues. I did have to shim the thighs, but that is due to my big legs (mountaineering and backpacking are to blame). I asked Paul for some extra ABS and he sent it over immediately. 

He also includes the proper S-trim and Hovi mike tips for the helmet. The kidney has the notches in it, and the ammo drop boxes have backs. He also includes extra "ears" for the helmet in case you mess up the first pair. 

ATA and AP are also great armors, and I may be biased, but I think TM is the way to go. 

Edited by Chills

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

It's been a while but I wanted to post an update.  So despite what the topic of this thread was, I have decided to go with TM armor!  It's a bit more pricey, but it fits within my budget and I just really like how it looks (not to mention it's flexibility).  AP and ATA both look like really good sets of armor.  But I think TM is for me.

Question: Does it usually take Paul a long time to respond to PMs?  He got back to my first PM very promptly, but now that I've decided to purchase his set of armor, it's been weeks with no response.  Does anyone have any input on this?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Wise move to go with TM if you have the budget for it. You will not be disappointed.

It's also among the easiest to build actually. Since all the parts go so well together, you don't have to wonder, and they are all marked L and R.

I'll simply echo what you've already heard and read here: you won't have any second thoughts, buyer's remorse, or issues with the TM Kit, based on anything in the kit. Paul is a true artist, and a great guy to boot. You will be looking great, highly shiny, and very proud of your armor, without a doubt. Since you've gone with TM though, I'd suggest that you do some reading on the Centurion requirements before you begin building. TM armor should be pretty much approvable when built properly, and as beautiful as the armor is, it truly deserves to be Centurion when the time comes. ;) Congratulations!

Thanks guys!

Locitus: I had no idea the L & R were labelled!  Sounds perfect, haha.

Dark CMF: Thanks.  And yeah, I guess I never mentioned it on the forum, but after Chills said it could be made Centurion right out of the box, I totally decided I'd aim for that.  By the way, I've got a Doopydoos E-11 kit lying around. I wanted to try my hands on that first before getting into the armor; trying to give my inexperienced hands some confidence/practice.  I'm going to be hugging that E-11 Reference Guide you helped out with. So, thank you for that!  I'll probably display that one though, and try purchasing a hyperfirm for trooping.

Man, I love these forums. You guys are the best :salute:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely recommend building with EIB or Centurion in mind, it's not much more work. What I found helpful when deciding between ATA and AP (I went with AP) was looking through the EIB/Centurion application posts to see what the armor looked like on people closer to my size. I'm 6' and 155-160 and AP fits me very well, but much bigger than that size and you'd probably have to use shims on the sides of the ab/kidney area.

I have both an ATA and an AP bucket, I prefer the AP. Either one is fine and has plenty of room for fans and all that. The AP bucket does come with the less accurate aerators as you mentioned, but you can buy a set of accurate ones easily enough. You also need the more accurate S-trim.

AP can definitely be assembled with the butt join method, the kit comes with the extra strips of plastic you need for that.

You seem like you've done your homework, which is great. Take your time and go for at least EIB from the beginning and you'll be just fine! I would recommend AP for your body size, but ATA is also excellent so you can't go wrong with either option.

I am about to pull the triger on AP as well. I've been looking over the size and differences in boady types, but am still a little un clear. I'm 5' 10 and 180-185 lbs. my question to someone hase worn AP armor is that, do you think i'll need to shime around ab/kidney?