The "best" E-11?

I'm currently looking to get my E-11 now that the Anovos kit has been purchased. 

Full resin kits seem a bit too involved for my taste / comfort level. I envy those who fully hand make their E-11s though. 

What E-11 is most widely favored among the Trooping community? Is it a matter of personal taste? Is there one more coveted than the other? 

I'm debating with myself: Shall I go with the ANH version since the Anovos kit is from ANH -- or ESB, my favorite of the OT. 

The ANH E-11 looks heftier - looks nice. It looks as if it has more oomph to it because of the counter and the power cylinders. 

I'm currently looking at options from THG Props / Darth Cleavage on Etsy and HFX (their B Grade E-11s seem to be more affordable, the $300 for a hyperfirm is nearly the cost of the TK Kit). 

Thoughts? Anyone in the same boat? 

Edited by UHCoog12

"Best" and "affordable" are terms that don't mix. But either of those two are fine E-11's.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm currently looking to get my E-11 now that the Anovos kit has been purchased. 

Full resin kits seem a bit too involved for my taste / comfort level. I envy those who fully hand make their E-11s though. 

What E-11 is most widely favored among the Trooping community? Is it a matter of personal taste? Is there one more coveted than the other? 

I'm debating with myself: Shall I go with the ANH version since the Anovos kit is from ANH -- or ESB, my favorite of the OT. 

The ANH E-11 looks heftier - looks nice. It looks as if it has more oomph to it because of the counter and the power cylinders. 

I'm currently looking at options from THG Props / Darth Cleavage on Etsy and HFX (their B Grade E-11s seem to be more affordable, the $300 for a hyperfirm is nearly the cost of the TK Kit). 

Thoughts? Anyone in the same boat? 

For your low end kit, you can get a doopy. But this is a kit. If you want a finished one you can look for someone on your local garrison who likes to do builds for a fee.

Other than the options you listed, your best best is looking for one to pop up in the junkyard forum.

If you want a really accurate E11, you're going to pay for this quality and level of detail. The Hyperfirm B-grades pop up regularly in the junk yard, and of the bunch are the best price as long as you're not looking for ultra display accuracy but more of a blaster that pretty good, and bouncy.

A lot of it depends on how well you want it to stand up, Wayne.  If you are looking for something durable, that still looks great, you can try a Hyperfirm from HFx (slavefive here on FISD).  They are almost indestructible, and perfect for trooping.  If you are looking for something you can do some more accurate modifications to, you may have to think about either a full resin build, like Doopydoos, or getting a toy Hasbro E-11 and purchasing the upgrade kit.  There will be some work to it, but not as much as a full resin kit.  You can also keep an eye out for blasters for sale on here.

Thanks for the feedback, yall! 

Is it general consensus to not troop with Doopy / Resin kits? Does anybody troop with Resin kits? 

I'm more interested in the "best" blaster to troop with and not so much for display purposes. 

Side question: Are we required to paint the ends during cons or for trooping at volunteer events?...or does this depend on the event/venue? (say a children's hospital). 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, yall! 

Is it general consensus to not troop with Doopy / Resin kits? Does anybody troop with Resin kits? 

I'm more interested in the "best" blaster to troop with and not so much for display purposes. 

Side question: Are we required to paint the ends during cons or for trooping at volunteer events?...or does this depend on the event/venue? (say a children's hospital). 

I'm not sure there is any "best" blaster to troop with. People troop with all types of blasters from resin, to real.

A rubber blaster will give you the most peace that nothing can happen to it.

Painting the tips and adding things to blasters varies state to state and event to event. Be sure to ask about the policy for troops. Generally the troop organizer will post this information. Instead of painting, some people will get some orange tape on the tip, this way it can be removed later.

The resin kit E-11s are just fine for trooping, Wayne.  They are fairly lightweight, and, like I was saying, can be modded to look incredibly realistic.  The only downside I have found is that occasionally someone will ask "Can I hold your gun?" for a photo, and it may cause some damage if they should drop it.  Otherwise, I would say that 99% of the people who build one use it for trooping.

Thanks a bunch. This is helping me start to narrow down my decision. 

I've seen people's warnings of dropping resin kits. When these things become damaged, is it repairable as if one were replacing blocks on a lego set? Or do resin pieces actually shatter into many pieces? I'm sure there have been threads on E-11 repairs if such a thing happens. 

I've never heard of one shattering, and I can promise you they are repairable.  If it were to get a chip in it, you can mark it up to "battle damage".  A lot of it will depend on how you put it together... some people use super-glue, some use E-6000, or a combination of both.  You can also use hidden pins, as in Darkcmf's build thread.  (That thing is built like a TANK)!

Edited by justjoseph63

The vast majority of people troop with resin blasters. Stuff happens and parts can break. If they do, follow Josephs advice, mark it up as battle damage.

If the break is too much, it's always repairable. Contact the kit maker, or someone who makes kits, like me, and ask about replacement pieces. Just like replacement TK parts, it's usually easy enough to cast up some small parts at a very reasonable price. 

Thanks a bunch. This is helping me start to narrow down my decision. 

I've seen people's warnings of dropping resin kits. When these things become damaged, is it repairable as if one were replacing blocks on a lego set? Or do resin pieces actually shatter into many pieces? I'm sure there have been threads on E-11 repairs if such a thing happens. 

Resin is stiffer but lighter than the ABS-like plastic used for electronic toys, so it will crack instead of scuffing or bending and turning white like we've all experienced at some point in life. They're not made of glass, but people buy hyperfirms for a reason. I'm gonna be careful with whom I let hold which blasters once I'm trooping. Repairs can be done to lighter damage using filler and replacement parts if necessary. Ideally nobody gets their stuff broken but it's probably safe to assume it will happen (Murphy's law applies to war-time happenings, after all). Once you learn to build it, you'll automatically know how to repair it😎