Trogdor's first build (mtk)

E6000 is a lot easier than ca glue which is what I used. If you rub it it will ball up and come off. You are so right, all armor is different just as people's body sizes and won't be "perfect". Your doing great with your build and the little details you are doing will make your centurion app a no brainer for approval. Can't wait to see the pics

<br><br><br>

I've had to use Firefox for my post updates where I need to insert pix or copy/paste text. Although, someone mentioned the little switch on the upper left corner of this reply window that allows some copy/pasting.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;<br><br>

For images, the forum browser is looking for the image codes before and after the photo links. This is a sample, but I had to add spaces before and after the IMG and /IMG. There should be no spaces in this format. Everything between the ] and [ is the photo link with no spaces.&lt;br&gt;<br><br>

[ IMG ]www. photo hosting website links[ /IMG ]&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;<br><br>

These codes may have to be typed in front and after the photo links to get them to be viewable. This was from Jeff not me but it should work

Edited by Darth Havoc

Want to start off with a pic to show how much work I have ahead of me on the thighs. Ā This is why I was so concerned about having the fronts right. Ā Easier to do it right than to fix it.

IMG_5124_zpsxsyjobgj.jpg

Ā 

Outer cover strip removed. Ā I just started at the easiest end, in my case the top. and used a plastic putty knife trying to keep the strip flat so I could reuse it. Ā Lucky for me the glue may have not been fully dry under there as it cleaned up easy.

IMG_5132_zps0ibrm0x0.jpg

Ā 

I guess I made the right decision taking these apart here was the widest point. Ā No wonder so much armor ridge was sticking out.

IMG_5133_zps9nu2pzyt.jpg

Ā 

Inner cover strip finally off. Much easier than the outter strip as it is more flexible or because I didn't care if it broke.

IMG_5134_zpswnb39aps.jpg

Cleanup here was the worst. Ā Used a scrap piece of armor and gloves to rub off the glue.

Ā 

Now that I am waiting for glue to dry again here are some defered general updates.

Buttons painted sanded and glued.

IMG_5142_zpstwudixz3.jpg

Ā 

How do these rivet locations look? They are 10mm to center Ā 20mm from top of Ab and 20mm from start of cod. ~60mm center. Ā Reflected that to kidney as that didn't exactly line up (hence the rubbed out pencil lines).

IMG_5141_zpsqrolf4jz.jpg

Ā 

Snap plates installed and some elastic straps made. Ā Thanks to whom ever had the popsicle stick clamping jig idea (I will try to edit to give credit. Ā There are so many great ideas and builds out there).

IMG_5140_zpsxtg2ztbs.jpg

I left the return edges large here as I am not sure about the final strapping method. Ā If I want to use brackets they would be hard to put back...

Edited by Trogdor

This is just a post asking for some help.<br>

Can anyone give me a max drop box depth. Most of the ones I've seen people are having trouble getting them deep enough. I just cut off all the flare and I'm at ~18mm for the outer box.<br>

For the right torso snap I was guessing ~10 from ab kidney and about 20 down. <br>

Also for the snaps on the butt is there any guiding measurements?<br><br>

Status update:<br>

Did a bit of work gluing thighs are now enclose and I made templates for the shims. Cut the cover strips and did the snap plates for the side closure. I'll give it some time to hopefully get feedback on the rivet locations before I drill.

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/uploads/gallery/album_16/med_gallery_12157_16_24471.jpg'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/uploads/gallery/album_16/med_gallery_12157_16_24471.jpg</a>Here is a pic for the snap on the ab. Just make sure the snap faces inward as if your were going to snap it on the inside of your armor. The ab buttons look great. The butt snaps, I don't believe there are specific measurements due to different armor parts. The top one should be visible from the back. My butt snaps were later trimmed. I took the whole flat bottom part off and the installed the snaps. Im trying to find the post on the drop boxes for you. Great job so far. You are moving along nicely

Jamie Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I'm going to go with dritz snaps for the on armor ones as the tandys I've been using have a long post and I really don't want to screw it up. Also I realized I need to track down cap rivets for the thigh packs.

Quick photo update from this weekend.

Ā 

I made the elastics for the rivets. Ā Doubled it over and sewed with a zigzag stitch so it doesn't impact the stretch as much as a straight stich.

IMG_5152_zps53xbkx0n.jpg

Ā 

Based on my new elastic making experience I learned its kind of hard to unsnap or snap with out some extra material so I tried it with webbing. Ā I made the female portion of the snap a touch loose to allow for rotation so it does catch the under suit. Ā As an added bonus this is thicker so less chance of bending these long post tandy snaps.

Exposed:

IMG_5169_zps1sgdmd6n.jpg

Hidden:

IMG_5171_zpskfzj1nld.jpg

Ā 

Decided to try out the apoxie sculpt (super white). Ā I thought why not use it to make the shoulder bridges easier to glue. Ā As an added bonusI can see how the color matches.

Two parts prior to mixing.

IMG_5144_zpswj56rys2.jpg

Filled bridges ready for gluing.

IMG_5146_zpszr8dmall.jpg

Well I think I ran in to another whammy...

Ā 

IMG_5188_zpsikpohvft.jpg

Ā 

Is this a EIB/Centurion breaker? Ā Thats a 20mm cover strip. I can probably go to 25mm, based on what I have read. I alsoĀ have some return edge to lose up top but all of that is not going away. Is that even going to make basic approval?

Back cover stripes for the shins are supposed to be 25mm so go with that. And it doesn't matter if there's a bit of the flat area still showing under the cover stripes. Just do your best to hide it.

• Like 1

Germain,

Thanks for the quick reply. Ā Always helps calm the nerves. Ā I'll cut a 25mm cover strip lose the overly thick upper return edge and see where that leaves me.Ā 

Ā Ā Ā  Hi Joe,

Ā 

Ā  I just thought I'd jump in here and share some info with you. You had commented in my build thread about the Apoxie sculpt and the trouble I was having. I think I found the solution. After some consultations withĀ  Haribon72, it was decided my inner shims were too flexible. I changed them out, as well as put a better outer shim. After sanding down the new Apoxie seams, they seam to be a lot stronger. the new thicker inner shim keeps the thigh from flexing and cracking the Apoxie. Unfortunately to make this correction, I had to go through the hassle of re-sizing the thighs again, but the outcome thus far has been worth it. ;) Ā  I hope this can be of some help.Ā  Ā 

Jc,

Thanks! Ā I am subscribed to your thread but I really appreciate you reaching out. Ā Troopers helping troopers. Ā I wish I was making as much progress as you. Ā Looking at your build thread I used thicker plastic (not bucket thick though) fully backing the shim area already. Ā Also I cut the shims using the same paper technique you demonstrated. Ā I am busy for the next couple of weeks but I hope to get back on the build after that.

Ā 

Ā Ā Ā  Hi Joe,

Ā 

Ā  I just thought I'd jump in here and share some info with you. You had commented in my build thread about the Apoxie sculpt and the trouble I was having. I think I found the solution. After some consultations withĀ  Haribon72, it was decided my inner shims were too flexible. I changed them out, as well as put a better outer shim. After sanding down the new Apoxie seams, they seam to be a lot stronger. the new thicker inner shim keeps the thigh from flexing and cracking the Apoxie. Unfortunately to make this correction, I had to go through the hassle of re-sizing the thighs again, but the outcome thus far has been worth it. ;) Ā  I hope this can be of some help.Ā  Ā 

Well I have all the torso strapping done. Glue drying on the shins. Shoulder straps are also glued and drying. Elastic is cut for arm strapping but I have to finish sanding. I'll post pics tomorrow.

When I cut my strips, I had read that the back of the thighs were 20. However, I have recently read a couple posts that state larger strips in the back are ok. Especially if you are covering gaps. I did mine at 20. If I had cut the strips as I went, I would have probably done 25.

JC - thank you for the quick answer.<br>

I lucked out. only cut 4 - 15mm and 1- 20mm until just now. I cut 2 - 25mm for backs of shins, another 4 -15mm to finish the arms and biceps, and 3 - 20mm for fronts of thighs and shins.<br>

Because I am shimming and painting the backs of the thighs 20 will work but I would think the 25mm I need for the calves would look wrong.<br>

At this point I'm getting close and don't want to blow it on a cover strip width. I'll sleep on it, but I'll probably cut 25. I'm well practiced at peeling off dried e6000. It's only plastic...

Edited by Trogdor

Hey Joe.Ā  Unless your coverstrips are ridiculous looking by making them like two inches wide, you shouldn't have any problems with approvals.Ā  First and foremost you have to make the suit fit you.Ā  You can make it as screen accurate as you could possibly do but if it doesn't fit you comfortably then it is all for not.

Ā 

Unless someone is standing next to you examining your armor most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference in a 20mm coverstrip compared to a 25mm coverstrip.

• 2 weeks later...

Thigh shims are glued in and drying. I realized I don't have attachment rivets for thigh ammo pack, is there any locally sourcable options? I have already checked Home Depot and lowes part bins, no joy.<br><br>

I am sanding and deburing the coverstrips. Given the number of magnets I have it will take awhile... Is blue painters tape enough to hold them while drying? I already have inner cover strips so the joining and straightening is done. I just have to get them on flat.

Edited by Trogdor

Thigh shims are glued in and drying. I realized I don't have attachment rivets for thigh ammo pack, is there any locally sourcable options? I have already checked Home Depot and lowes part bins, no joy.<br><br>

I am sanding and deburing the coverstrips. Given the number of magnets I have it will take awhile... Is blue painters tape enough to hold them while drying? I already have inner cover strips so the joining and straightening is done. I just have to get them on flat.

Ā 

If you have a ACE hardware nearby I'd check with them or onlineĀ http://www.ebay.com/...=item35d9a33a26Ā orĀ http://www.whitearmo...vel-rivet-sets/orĀ Hobby/Craft store.

If you have a ACE hardware nearby I'd check with them or online http://www.ebay.com/...=item35d9a33a26 or http://www.whitearmo...vel-rivet-sets/or Hobby/Craft store.

Thanks Tony! No luck locally. I ordered from echo.