Cover Strips - How Thick?

I'm fixing up some old FX Armor, and adding coverstrips to my seams. from what I can tell, the cover strips I've seen are pretty then. I have some somewhat thick .080 ABS that I can use, I just think it may be too thick. 

Should I get a smaller gauge?

Also, how should I connect them? Just glue on the fronts and attach the back with velcro? I'm trying my hardest to not let any velcro show on the seams. 

your plastic thickness is correct.

usually you want to glue the back of the thighs.

front cover strips 1"  rear cover strips are 1.5"

forearms are 5/8" and biceps.

Ok, so let's see if I have this straight. 

I'll glue the back of the thighs. And the fronts will be detached. But when I put the armor on, I attach the two halves of the thighs..... with velcro from the inside? Or snaps? Then the cover strip goes over the seam. How does that attach? With velcro? Or is it glued to one half of thigh and then just lays over the other half with the two sides are put together?

Thanks in advance!

The front cover strips on the legs should be a bit less width wise. Typically, they are cut at 20 mm  which is closer to 3/4 inch and the rear cover strips on the legs are 20-25mm or 1 inch. On your thighs, everything is glued. The halves do not need to separate as your foot can slide through when pointed. You calves will be glued in the front and left open in the back. The cover strip will be glued onto the outer half of the calf opening. The opening can be held together with velcro or small wire clips that hook through holes in the calf itself. There really is no room for snaps anywhere on the legs. The cover strips are just glued over the seams.

• 1 year later...

Okay, so the initial question for this topic is the 'thickness' of said cover strips, and I have the same question.

HOW THICK SHOULD THE PLASTIC FOR THE COVER STRIPS BE?

I have a bunch of spare ABS for my kit, and it is all 1mm thick, which looks pretty thick on the outside of the armor. I also have some .030mm plastic that I wanted to use for the outer cover strips, while using the thicker 1mm stuff for inner bracing.

I know the widths are 15.. for arm pieces, then 20mm for the fronts and backs of the thigh pieces and 20/25mm for the calves.

I simply wish to know if there is a specific thickness required for the plastic used for the outer cover strips.