Need advice for rechargeable USB batteries for helmet fans

I bought a couple of 3800 miliamp rechargeable batteries for my helmet fans (5v). They work great but if the fans aren't on, the batteries turn off.

Can any of you great troopers recommend some batteries that don't go into sleep mode when I switch off the power.

Thanks for all replies

I take it these batteries are in some kind of pack and not a standard type AA rechargeable . If they are putting themselves into sleep mode there must be a chip in the pack that detects no amperage . Sorry just trying to understand exactly what you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark, that's a good idea.  I have a switch with a small LED in it to indicate it's on.  I've wired it up so that it's on all the time and it's not quite enough drain to keep the battery on.  However, I'll look for one that pulls a little more voltage.

Andrew, you're correct.  They are rechargeable ni-cad batteries.  They recharge using a phone charger and their output is 5v.  Once they're charged and turned on, they need a little voltage drain in order to stay powered on.  If there is no voltage drain, they go into a sort of sleep mode and don't provide power until you turn them on again.  My issue is, that if they are in the helmet, i will have to take the helmet off and turn the batteries on.  It won't be easy.  I just need a reliable 5v power supply and I would really prefer something rechargeable.

Thanks for the replies

• 1 year later...

I am having this same problem.  I have everything wired correctly but if the fans are off so are the batteries.  Did you come up with a solution to this or do I need to find a new battery?

• 2 weeks later...

Did you build the fan setup yourself or purchase it? There could be a couple reasons this is happening. I think first start with the power source if the setup uses a USB end try plugging it into a USB port and see what happens. If the fans turn on then its the power source if the fans do not then there could be a issue with the wiring. Do you have a photos of the setup?