How many coils must show in a E-11?

Darth Adame

Hi everyone, well this is the deal, I´m working on my E-11 blaster in order to get my armour centurion approved and I got my hands on a original sterling spring, I was told that only 9 coils of the spring must be visible from the outside, by now mine shows 12 and I already tried everything to make it fit without altering the spring bu right now I´m out of options, but before moving on to cut the spring I want to make sure on the quantity of coils that must show so that the blaster meets centurion requirements, thank you

HAving a spring is actually not a Centurion requirement. It is cool you are going for that level of accuracy, though. Anywhere close to 10 coils is fine. I wouldn;t go higher than 12 like you have have it...it might look too bunched. 

HAving a spring is actually not a Centurion requirement. It is cool you are going for that level of accuracy, though. Anywhere close to 10 coils is fine. I wouldn;t go higher than 12 like you have have it...it might look too bunched. 

Hi Steve, thanks for your response :) yeah I know that the spring is not a requirement but as you said, I want it to be as accurate as possible :), but I think there are requirementes on how it must look, from the outside, so that´s why I´m asking to know this requirements so I can meet them :D

I think your best be may be to actually stretch out the spring a little at a time to reach the desired number of coils showing, which is what I did.  I would heed Steve's advice, after all, he is the one who approves EIB and Centurion levels. 

I'm no expert...  had to get that out of the way first.

On the Sterlings, there are several coils to the rear of the receiver that have nothing behind/inside them (meaning "exposed"), then there are a few coils of the spring that go over the end of the bolt, so they aren't "technically" exposed.  If say, three coils are over the bolt and the other nine coils are beind the bolt in the receiver (exposed)... wouldn't you be good?

Edit:  For example:
sterling-6.JPG
On this Sterling, there are eight coils "exposed" and two coils over the bolt.  Depending on how you rotate the spring, you should get the desired number of coils "exposed".

Unless, you got a different spring other than the standard... then you may have to cut coils.

Edited by Paradox
  • Like 2

I think it looks right on to be honest.  There will be small differences in recoil springs - two coils could easily be the difference between a well-used/new spring and even just the rotation of the spring inside the receiver.

There's also a small piece inside the spring behind the bolt in the pic I posted that isn't in your pic.  That small piece can easily cover two to three coils to keep them from being "exposed".  Look at the hinge point for the folding stock in both pics for reference.  Judging by that small detail, again, I'd say you're right where you need to be.

Looks great!  :jc_doublethumbup: