Fidgells terrified about his ANH AP Build !

So, I've been told I must start sharing my journey through something unlike anything I've ever done before! I've all the enthusiasm in the Empire but zero ability or skills to bring to this task.... BUT here I go, please help along the way, I'll need it!

Big Brown Box day arrived after 4wks since ordering from AP. Its a BIG brown box indeed!

image_6.jpg

So, I stared for a while then dived on in. I've never seen an armour up close and after seeing SO much untrimmed plastic I'm wondering what I've got myself into!

image_7.jpg

I'm starting slow and I mean slow, time is so rare in my world - bear with me!

Journey begins...

Today I started the "easy" job of the TD canister.

image_8.jpg

Not so easy, cutting circles is not an exact science. After an hour of trimming and sanding I got here and still not happy enough.

image_9.jpg

Took a break to go spray the pipe with primer grey.

image_10.jpg

Five light coats and I'm happy with it.

More tidying of the plastic while the paint dries I think...

if you need any advice or photos... please don't hesitate to become my Facebook friend.  I can show you photos very quickly of my ap building methods.

PM me and I'll set you up with advice and tools advice in bucketloads of facebook photos.

• Like 1

Pretty much everyone wonders what they got themselves into :) I have AP armor and love it!

Take your time, measure multiple times and cut a little less and try parts on till you have it! And don't hesitate to ask questions....a lot of great people here will help you out.

All the work will be completely worth it in the end....most important advice I can give is have fun with your journey!

• Like 1

Phil, probably every member has walked in those very same shoes. It seems daunting at first but if you take your time, research and do a little at a time, you'll been done before you know it. Go ahead and ask lots of questions, there are a ton of Troopers who love to help.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Literally only had twenty minutes today so just made a start on belt and drop boxes. Obviously still trimming to do. Belt will be hard to get a nice even edge near the lumps as struggling to draw a decent line with my steel ruler!

image_11.jpg

Another day tight on time AND called into work. Got my rubber hand guards glued using two part plastics glue. Trooperbay guards, Dollarama gloves.

image_12.jpg

image_13.jpg

Edited by Fidgell

Found a whole hour today to work!!!!

So I glued the panel on the TD

image_19.jpg

I assembled KWdesigns excellent inner dropboxes

image_16.jpg

image_17.jpg

And i trimmed my belt. That was quite tricky as its almost impossible to scribe a line to trim to!!

image_18.jpg

Looking good so far, keep up the good work, here to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Happy dance, I got little over half an hour today so I started by sealing up the dropboxes and adding elastics.

image_27.jpg

Then while my wife my dinner I decided to dive on in and attack the bucket. First cut and felt faint...

image_25.jpg

So my time ended but Im slowly moving forward, masses still do go.

image_26.jpg

Edited by Fidgell
  • Like 1

if you use sandpaper from the inside it can remove the entire eye socket, and the teeth can also be sanded from the inside.

much more accurate for the fine detail needed

simply sand with 80 grit paper until it's thin. then shave with an exacto, then sand a little more.

• Like 2

I agree with Vern, specially if you are still not confident trimming with an exacto knife. Sand paper and files are a safer slower way to get were you are going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

compare the center tooth on the right with the one on the left.  looks like more off the top on the right hand side.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/36-helmet-frown-a-new-hope-stunt/

• Like 1

compare the center tooth on the right with the one on the left.  looks like more off the top on the right hand side.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/36-helmet-frown-a-new-hope-stunt/

Sorry Vern, do you mean it needs more or has more off the top on the right tooth? thanks

Eyes today, two hours with the Exacto and sand paper. Im biased but Im actually quite proud of this ...

image_29.jpg

Next up and its the ears., i hate the ears. Still not fully happy but im stopping now to see what this weekends armour party brings.

image_30.jpg

Ive noticed how hot it is in there so Ive changed plans and WILL be getting a fan.

Tomorrow??? Build and fasten the belt :)

image_31.jpg

Belt today. Started by researching and measuring the belt to ab snap placement.

image_32.jpg

Next was to rivet the ABS to the Canvas belt, thanks to TKittell for his great belt!

image_33.jpg

Then Darmans holster goes on

image_34.jpg

Finally, the drop boxes. Sadly called into work so ill save these cover plates for next time. Not sure how ill glue them as very little edge, sand flat??

image_35.jpg

Belt finished!!! Glued the tabs with clear silicone RTV

image_36.jpg

Nice to have something full to try on and keep the enthusiasm going. (Mirror image spotters - blaster IS on my left)

image_37.jpg

image_38.jpg

Weathered the scope and added the decals. Whats next??? Chest and back i think!

image_39.jpg

image_40.jpg