Look Sir, Droids! MTK Build - W.I.P.

I had to shorten mine about an inch and a half. While doing so I also did the ANH style notches. Check out Panda's Stickied build thread and he talks about how to do both. The initial cut is on page one and the ANH is referenced later in that build. I tried doing return edges and it looked like crap so I got rid of them all together

Perfect, thanks. If I have time I am going to start these this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanded the last coat of ABS paste last night and wet sanded to bring back some shine. I'm about 90% satisfied as some of the ABS paste left some pockets and craters that bondo would not have but then again, I didn't have to paint. Luckily, a little weathering should hide some of the imperfections. I only managed to get one of the finishing strips before my wife yelled at me to spend time with her and watch tv. I'll get the other one glued after work and throw up some pictures. I have Wednesdays off so hopefully tomorrow I can get the battery pack on the knee knocked out and start on the shins. 

Ok, today is build day Saturday so I need some help. I need recommendations big and small so I can knock out these legs. Here's my thighs after I've completed the shim work. It's not great but gets the job done. There are still pockets and imperfections but a little weathering will cover it up. 

E40C1DEB-E1F7-4982-B21E-79018420279F.jpg

Right thigh:

A00E3EE1-1D72-43D4-B827-DAAAA787A523.jpg

Left thigh:

B2FA2B75-A926-4170-A603-4D4E78E0226E.jpg

Left & Right rear thighs: 

B6F518DC-AF95-41C7-8897-1488AEB89604.jpg

I plan on refining the left bottom to have the cutout and definitely need to do the cutout for the bottom right. Just happened to work like this from the way I shimmed.

Here's my left shin for example. Should the height fall right below the knee cap? If so, I have drawn about a 1" cut line that I need the A-Okay from you guys before I make any cuts. 

1DB33ADB-333F-48A3-B893-C3E7990DD356.jpg

33E913D0-49BB-4263-81EA-6329F6868ED2.jpg

8528BD63-2886-47C3-8156-DAD8360E04AC.jpg

AE6302AD-A030-4B63-863D-DDA1F2E549E7.jpg

90EEA8EF-57C0-4A1D-AE1D-1273BC5A3491.jpg

The MTK kit gives a very generous ridge line for the rear of the calves. Since the rear of my thigh cover strips are 1" I need to do a 1" cover strip for the rear of my calves as well for a nice uniform look. Do I leave 1/2" ridge line on each side? I intend to enclose the calves with velcro.

82C774A2-DAFB-4862-832D-62738B057447.jpg

I would like to knock this all out today while the wife and kids are away and I actually can devote most of the day to building! 

Edited by Airborne Trooper

I don't think I would take anything off the bottom of the shins.  What I would do, is get rid of a LOT of the return edge at the top, including all of it in front of your knee, so it's not slicing into your kneecap.  Wear boots whenever you try on the calf armor so you know exactly where it will sit with boots on.  (Wrap some blue tape around the top of the boots if you're worried about the unsanded calf armor scratching it up)

I'd also do away with the outward-facing return edge on the back of the calf before trying it on and figuring out where to cut for size.  That edge looks like it would mess with your measurements like crazy.

Yeah, I need to cut the returns on the top still. Looking at Tony's (UKSWRATH)'s build for reference. Maybe get rid of the front and back and just leave the sides like you suggest.

FBC6A4FD-1944-4751-AA5E-E06C5B67AF1B.jpg

I still feel like they are too tall with boots on though. If you think I should leave them be, I will. 

I've had these boots for several years in anticipation of buying armor one day lol. Tkboots

D1A863DD-C46A-4E99-9921-103F0BF543CB.jpg

7F121BA4-8302-45BA-B42B-0BD3E3C4CEC7.jpg

Josh!!! I'm really glad I asked because I think it fits great now after I cut the return edge. Finally, one piece that I don't have to shim or make larger. I think I'm going to completely sand the return at the bottom so it doesn't destroy my boots and put some felt in for extra measure once it's all said and done. 

Quick dremel sanding drum and some sandpaper:

6D6DBAA1-FD89-49B4-A747-A8B277445F02.jpg

At this height, I believe the TD sniper knee plate will look pretty good. That's going on today hopefully.

AB184F16-D4EE-43B6-BDAA-1BE7D004C47C.jpg

CCAB495C-854A-4B62-BEC9-535A05C998F7.jpg

Yup, cut the backs like you're putting on a normal cover strip, but then only glue it to the outside half! Ideally, without velcro, you should be able to close up the halves and it will look like a finished piece. Then run velcro hook side on the inside of the cover strip, and loop side down the outside edge of the other half, just far enough out that it will be covered by the cover strip.

I've been following your build you did and need advice on the belt. All belts seem to be different so I need to know if 45 degree cuts should be made on my MTK belt or should I do differently. There won't be 3" between the cuts if I do so

9970EF45-80A8-43C9-9EF8-EF4AE55D2C37.jpg

Ha yeah I started cutting with my exacting knife and my wife asked if I was going to work all night too. I realized I've been working all day and Mythbusters was on. Back on it tomorrow asking for more advice. One thing is sure, it sucks being short and having manly sized thighs. Wish I could be a skinny British man so I didn't have to make so many adjustments

Edited by Airborne Trooper

Ha yeah I started cutting with my exacting knife and my wife asked if I was going to work all night too. I realized I've been working all day and Mythbusters was on. Back on it tomorrow asking for more advice. One thing is sure, it sucks being short and having manly sized thighs. Wish I could be a skinny British man so I didn't have to make so many adjustments

Ahaha glad to see I wasn't the only one marathoning the Mythbusters while working on my bucket!

Question on my knee battery pack. I was trying to follow ukswrath's build. I know that the center batter should be centered on the knee but if I do that I can only go to the edge on the outer side and have quite a bit of difference with the other. Suggestions:

Right outer side:

5A951C31-3630-4FC5-BD88-1080B8860C50.jpg

Right inner thigh with the center battery pack centered on the knee leaves this much gap from the edge:

B6B092E9-2A5D-4139-AE5F-0141CA165CCF.jpg

I am pulling it as tight as possible without loosing the centering.

Mine is all over the place. Once i had fitted my thigh piece there was no way the ammo belt for the leg was going to line up with thoes marks and nto be warped or not lined up. so i ended up just lineing it up and keeping it leval then drilling the holes where it lined up