Look Sir, Droids! MTK Build - W.I.P.

Hello, everyone! I know you guys for the most part are squeaky clean TKs, but I have always loved the look of sandtroopers. I got a MTK kit from Trooperbay and have started the long journey of building my TD. I was a Sergeant(E-5) when I was in the Army before getting out a year ago so I choose to roughly replicate Davin Felth's Sergeant Look Sir, Droids! sandtrooper.

ANHsandtrooperhelmetfront.jpg

Obligatory brown box photo.... BTW how in the heck did Mike manage to fit that all in the box?! I couldn't get it all back in.

box.jpg

All laid out with some of the supplies I had when it arrived

laidout.jpg

MEPD has confirmed there is an 8th tooth on this sandtrooper and it's super small. I may make it more square though. Suggestions?

image_6.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_4.jpg

After looking at this picture, I might drill the rivets out and adjust, I'm getting too much bulge out of the side and it's going to make placing the ears difficult.

image_3.jpg

You can really see it here:

image_2.jpg

• Like 1

You could always add another rivet that will be hidden by the ears to get that bulge to "lay" down. I picked that up from some other builds :)

I ended up taking out the bottom rivet and using the ear to push it down.

I easily have over 2+ hours on each ear. Did my best to thin it out and keep some gaps but not a lot. Here's my results, feedback in welcomed. I still need to finish refining the teeth.

26c00200-e5ee-47ee-8b7d-6b33517bb3c5.jpg

cd8b2c2c-c2b1-4bac-bfcb-6ce2a4e71d4d.jpg

6ee33ec6-b22a-4c1c-8293-c876ee85a93f.jpg

2a196d46-7bc2-42d6-90b4-1603d599bc04.jpg

31174cca-c63d-4bc4-ae75-6ff2415d7865.jpg

I'm not sure what to do with the ear ends. Do I trim it and file it so it fits into the S seal? Can someone please share a picture of the bottom of their bucket? I know you're suppose to screw your bucket on your head when donning it, but it is still super tight. Would it be ok to take a little off the back edge?

56877a04-a0b0-4a71-b25d-1d499ab4a71c.jpg

Hey Jason sorry I'm late you your build party here. Looking good sir. I may be correct in saying, if you're shooting for SWAT, you may be the fist "Look Sir Droids" version. 

Can we get a side shot of your ears. Judging by the alignment at the bottom of your bucket something looks off with the ears. I could be completely wrong but they may be on the wrong side but I can't tell from the current pics.

Keep up the good work.  :duim:

There is at least one SWAT "Look sir, droids!" that I know of on MEPD. Sorry, I should have taken a straight view of the ears. I actually need to adjust the brow after looking at the reference photo today. I'll get more photos tonight after the adjustments.

http://www.mepd.net/mepd-swat-officers/

Milo and Darthchridan stick out the most. 

Dang I am blind hahaha.

I do think your brow is a bit high though. I believe it's supposed to be around 5/8" or something like that. 

I readjusted the brow and tried to get the left ear more pushed up towards the brow. Now I have a big gap and I've used both set of ears. I will be contacting Trooperbay to see if he can sell me just 2 sets of left ears (hopefully I'll only need 1). 

Right ear, I'm pretty happy with

4B2C786C-3166-4EF3-AFB3-FDFA24EBB6DB.jpg

The ratchet left ear

Oh, it doesn't look too bad...

1E28506C-C7D7-4D89-B29B-BAFBF2098972.jpg

Then bam... I can fit my whole hand in there lol....

983367DB-B0BC-49E6-BB28-5DA421E913C8.jpg

Edited by Airborne Trooper

Most likely you can remedy the issue by just thinning out the ears. Left side - thin out the upper (round section), and lower rear portion. Right side - thin out the entire ear to compensate for the left. 

This is my ATA Cantina Captain bucket. The ears are a bit on the thin side but uniform.

6.jpg

• Like 1

That looks amazing! I adjusted the brow and now it's just playing with the ears. I took to much off the eyes when sanding so I wont be able to replicate that droop in the left eye. I don't think I'll be SWAT worthy so for this build I'll just shoot for Police Officer. I'm on like a 14 month waiting list for ATA, we will see if my wife lets me spend the money when it gets closer to that time. 

And I'm the third Look Sir SWAT :laugh1:

Just one comment: take a Close look to the brow. Yours looks a little bit too high

Good luck with the build bro :jc_doublethumbup:

Yea I didn't notice your because your request states"Trooper emulated: Sergeant Desert Trooper" Thought they were different from the "Look Sir" for some reason. 

That looks amazing! I adjusted the brow and now it's just playing with the ears. I took to much off the eyes when sanding so I wont be able to replicate that droop in the left eye. I don't think I'll be SWAT worthy so for this build I'll just shoot for Police Officer. I'm on like a 14 month waiting list for ATA, we will see if my wife lets me spend the money when it gets closer to that time. 

wow, its at 14 months now... Mine took 10 months; always add about 2 months to what terrell says its going to take. He is really backed up.

Edited by illusionz_09

as far as the build goes, just take your time. rushing things just takes longer (like ordering more ears, i almost had to lol). 

Make sure you clean up the frown a bit; they look "twinkied"

Yeah, I will file those square a bit where needed. This particular sandy has a lot of "imperfections" that make it unique though. Very different than a TK. Look at Felice's SWAT level bucket for example.

Speaking of which, you should also post this on the MEPD site to get even more accurate feedback. Just a thought.  :salute:

Speaking of which, you should also post this on the MEPD site to get even more accurate feedback. Just a thought.  :salute:

I will once I get further along. I have it here and on my Garrison's forum just as a WIP. I see way too many noobies flooding MEPD and I don't want to bother you guys until I have something to really show. 

I will once I get further along. I have it here and on my Garrison's forum just as a WIP. I see way too many noobies flooding MEPD and I don't want to bother you guys until I have something to really show. 

I understand. BTW you're not bothering us, we're here for you  :duim:  ;)

Edited by ukswrath

So I watched trooperbay's videos on the forearms and mistankenly trimmed all return edges to 5/16" so butt joining would equal 5/8" and now my arm can't fit in there without being super tight on the top of my forearm. I want to leave the front 5/8" and shim the back. Here's the start: 

7a255944-23c7-4ca6-9e98-3e94dded8c5f.jpg

Am I on the right path? The shim is 2" wide so obviously it would look silly with a almost 2" cover strip. Do I bondo and sand the area to better mask the area? I tried searching here but couldn't find final results of people who needed to do this. I looked at For Sale signs but ended up using part of the sheets of ABS that came with the kit. 

No way to simply not abutt the forearm pieces, but leave a small gap that can be covered by the regular size coverstrips?  This should give you almost an inch extra of room and will not affect the look.  

• Like 1