Helmet Glue Residue

Hey guys,

I am modifying the fit of my bucket but there is a lot of glue residue from the original foam over the screws.

Is Goo Gone ok for this or will that injure the plastic? Is there something better and safer?

Thanks!

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

What kind of glue is it?  If it is E-6000, I would use a small plastic scraper, or firmly rub your thumb over it a few times.  If it wont come off, you could consider Plasti-dipping the inside of your helmet.

Great question, it does look like E-6000 and there is some weaved tape residue too. Sorry not much more info. It was the glue from the maker. Not glue I used.

Edited by megajelly

It looks like velcro glue residue. Goo Off did not do a good job for me. It melted my ABS. I use lighter fluid.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Just thought of something else you could do...  maybe use some fine grit sand-paper.  Since it is inside the bucket, it won't show anyway.

be careful with what ever you use, depending on what type of material it is made out of. I had similar on my MTK and mineral spirits took it off with no problems 

Two different products have been mentioned here and should not be confused... 

Goo Gone is a citrus based cleaning product that is relatively mild on plastics.  Test it first.

Goof Off is a Xylene based flammable cleaning product that will melt plastic, and will take paint off a car, or other metal surfaces.  Avoid using Goof Off on plastic!!!

And, I'd agree with the sandpaper or plasti-dipping the inside!

Two different products have been mentioned here and should not be confused... 

Goo Gone is a citrus based cleaning product that is relatively mild on plastics.  Test it first.

Goof Off is a Xylene based flammable cleaning product that will melt plastic, and will take paint off a car, or other metal surfaces.  Avoid using Goof Off on plastic!!!

And, I'd agree with the sandpaper or plasti-dipping the inside

OMG thank you for that distinction!

Will try some of these things and let you know if I have any further issues.

I was reading about plasti-dipping last night and a little hesitant to jump in head first yet lol.

Thanks guys!