My first ATA build

kenseyphoto

Hey guys,

I finally decided to get underway with my ATA TK build.  I'm very nervous and cautious with every cut and I keep overthinking everything. It's taking me forever to make any cut but I don't see that necessarily as a bad thing, I'm just very critical  :(

I decided to start with spray painting the inside black and I started cutting out the eyes and teeth..

25BYtaIl.jpg

wiw6gPUl.jpg

I then proceeded to trim the sides and bottom of the front and back parts of the helmet..

lRZYd2ll.jpg

UoxJT82l.jpg

WMsI6QUl.jpg

I0S8geal.jpg

Let me know what you think! Any and all help is welcomed!!!

A day or two after I cut everything out I started to put it together.

This is where I had A LOT of trouble.. My brow line seems low but I'm actually ok with it...

T0FkeFXl.jpg

jbg5pURl.jpg

7hGvY8Bl.jpg

7LZ33E8l.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

On a side note..WHO IS GOING TO CELEBRATION VII NEXT MONTH??!!  These came in and I'm so stoked!

b066sZPl.jpg

Looks good to me. The face is difficult to fit especially on the right side. Brow looks ok even a little high if you ask me. I would bring it down in the front middle to be in line to where it is on the sides. The brow level is up to the individual though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by russellr2d2

I started trimming down the ears, but when i line them up there's still a small gap between the ear and helmet...is this normal? Or should I fill the gap?

64fECVul.jpg

HZES9XOl.jpg

u5sFVr4l.jpg

pSVrsYPl.jpg

UCRyPnAl.jpg

Also as for the mic tips, I've seen some painted just all black, and I've seen some where the tip of the mic tips (and possible the mesh as well) is white..

Which is more acceptable?

O06Q5Yrl.jpg

thanks for the help!

I started trimming down the ears, but when i line them up there's still a small gap between the ear and helmet...is this normal? Or should I fill the gap?

64fECVul.jpg

HZES9XOl.jpg

u5sFVr4l.jpg

pSVrsYPl.jpg

UCRyPnAl.jpg

Also as for the mic tips, I've seen some painted just all black, and I've seen some where the tip of the mic tips (and possible the mesh as well) is white..

Which is more acceptable?

O06Q5Yrl.jpg

thanks for the help!

Do you have a picture of the EAR against the bucket ?

Do you have a picture of the EAR against the bucket ?

I didn't screw them on yet...I wanted to clean up my edges a little...I did notice a small gap.  I just wanted to make sure it was normal.  I'll probably clamp them on tomorrow when I work on my helmet again.  I'll post pictures when I do that.

Concerning the mic tips:

The mesh is always silver, meaning not painted at all.

The most common way of painting the resin part is to paint it matte black on the outside and leaving the inside untouched.

After you painted them, lightly sand the rim back to the raw material to give them a crisp edge.

Concerning the mic tips:

The mesh is always silver, meaning not painted at all.

The most common way of painting the resin part is to paint it matte black on the outside and leaving the inside untouched.

After you painted them, lightly sand the rim back to the raw material to give them a crisp edge.

ok i wasn't sure because i've seen them both ways

• 2 weeks later...

I attached the ears, and I have to fix them so they fit better...I'm having trouble with the one ear.

KwyCOmsl.jpg?1

oqjaPKhl.jpg?1

they arent screwed on tight but I still need to fix this one...

40BTNKcl.jpg?1

I know for a fact I have to fix this one...it's not really fitting the way I'd like.

any suggestions?

Like they have mentioned, "ear gaps" are acceptable since they were in the original helmets. However, i personally think that last gap is a bit too much; the only way of fixing that ear is to lower it and then make sure you tighten the bottom screw tight.

If not you may have to use your backup ear to get it right. I had to use both sets myself. The ears are definitely a difficult part of the build. Just take ur time. Sand/cut little by little to get it to your liking.

Again, this is assumming you have an extra pair, if not you may simply just have to lower the ear a hair like i first mentioned. Sanding the base (only) a little more is another viable option to ultimately get it closer to the face. the only prob with that is that you may make it too thin.

Edited by illusionz_09

I did the same with my ears. Just sat there with my dremel and fine tuned every bump and crevasse. Needless to say I still had high and low spots. 

Looking great Paul!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1