Kidney piece is so thin!

Hi john. My kidney plate on my MTK may be thinner than the other pieces but not by a noticeable extent. Not sure if that makes any sense but until I saw this post tonight I actually went and looked at mine because you brought it to my attention. Before this It never really made any impression on me that it was "very thin."

If you think something is wrong with it, contact MTK. I'm sure he could shed some light on it.

I agree with Steve - have you talked to Mike about it? That seems unusual. Unless his quality is slipping, but that would seem strange too.

Looking for some feedback on MTK armor. Just ordered a tk kit and am going to follow the Trooperbay videos. Is this a good path if I want to at some point be accepted in the 501st

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are smaller sized, I'd say it'd be better to have a thinner kidney piece. That way when the belt tightens the kidney plate around your back and flexes, there wouldn't be too much stress to cause cracks.

Looking for some feedback on MTK armor. Just ordered a tk kit and am going to follow the Trooperbay videos. Is this a good path if I want to at some point be accepted in the 501st

Sal. MTK's videos are quite a useful guideline to how the shins and thighs are assembled. But be wary about the right thigh ammo pack placement. MTK seems to have positioned it weirdly (this was when I last watched his vids. He may have updated them).

However the best advice I can give you is to look at the build threads on the FISD first to get an idea of how you want to go about your build. Then follow the most detailed one you can follow. Also look at the EIB and Centurion threads to get a good target of how you want your armour to end up looking.

Hey Sal.  The videos are very useful and give you a general idea on how it should be done.  But please keep in mind that you may need to have different measurements then Mike uses in the video in order to fit you. 

Also he uses the bracket system when assembling that armor.  You need to make your decision on how you would like it assembled.  Brackets or snap and straps.  But probably like many I viewed each one of those videos probably 50 times throughout my build. 

Good luck and start a build thread so we can help you along the way.

Sal,

I used the vids on TrooperBay and also the tutorials here as my guide.  I didn't go with TrooperBay's vids 100% for my build.  But, it was a good video reference when the online written tutorials here weren't clear.

All in all, it took me about a month to complete my armor kit.  The bucket took about 2 weeks which I had received a few months ago before the armor kit.