Big cover strip problem..

First, I promise this will be my last post for today...  Here is the situation:  After getting my calf pieces to fit perfectly, I glued on the cover strips underneath the front seam.  Today, I decided I would glue on the front strips, then realized that 15 or 20 mm would be too wide, and overlap the ridges, so I went with 10mm, and they look nice.  (Bear in mind that I have small calves).  Then, it hit me, the thigh cover strips will have to be 15.  Oh crap.  This is going to throw everything off.  I have worked so damned hard (up to now) to get this build to Centurion standards, and now I will probably have trouble just getting 501st approved.  Any advice at this point would be MORE than appreciated.  Thanks!

post-22112-0-93539700-1424977620_thumb.jpg

Edited by justjoseph63

Well, first of all, front cover stripes on shins are supposed to be 20mm wide.

The thing about cover stripes is continuity. If you have a 10mm cover stripe on the front of your shins then you need a 10mm cover stripe on the front of your thighs. However, i reckon i really don't know if 10mm cover stripes will be acceptable for approval.

The way i see it would be to unglue them and start over with 20mm cover stripes and use padding inside the shins to prevent too much floating. The boots will also help keeping them in place.

sans_t18.png

Edited by The5thHorseman

Oh... my.. God.  I just realized what I was doing wrong...  I was measuring incorrectly!!  The ones I had (gone now) WERE 20mm wide, (I cut them last week).  After looking at your diagram, I noticed that for some strange reason that this afternoon I was looking at CM, thought each was 5mm, and thinking "gee, 20 mm (4 CM) is awfully wide".  I Now, I have to put everything back together again, but, once again, Germain, you have really helped me out.   I feel like a complete idiot, but a happy one now! 

• Like 1

Cursed be that stupid metric system!  :D

Oh, and in case you'll need it, back cover stripes for shins and thighs should be 25mm (2,5cm) wide.

Just the shins. Thighs are 20mm both back and front.

• 2 weeks later...