In the beginning..

Hello there! I have a simple newb question. I'm currently looking at 2 different kits and trying to decide. But, before I commit to a full kit would it be wise to try and purchase a helmet kit separately and "practice"?

I'm assuming in the affirmative, as I'd rather not drop a large sum at one shot. I'm just curious if a head would be a wise place to start.

By-the-by, I apologize if this is a wrong place to pose such a newb question. I appreciate any input so please, don't be shy!

You will probably end up paying more buying in 2 stages, but a lot of makers do sell separate components if you want to spread the cost.

Warning though. Once you start you won't want to stop so you may aswell just order the whole thing straight away  :)

Two quick things I'll chime in with...

1: As Ian said above... Once you start building, you won't want to stop.

2: The helmet build is more complex than the assembly of the other armor parts, so if you fully intend to build a helmet first and pass it to your son it isn't a bad idea. However, it MIGHT be good to get comfortable with the ABS and the tools/techniques etc while working on the armor before you dive into the bucket. Just food for thought. As you've seen, many Troopers bought the bucket first and then the armor and they're just fine. It really depends on your comfort level, I suppose.

I started with a bucket first before getting my armour. Some helmet kits can be quite reasonably priced so this might be a good way to go. I know ATA often has helmets available even if the waitlist for his armour is LONG.

Be aware that you could potentially be opening up a pandora's box and end up with a growing collection of buckets. I think I have a problem: I want more!

BTW that's gmrhodes13's latest contribution to the hobby, the Imperial Gunner, on the left.... Great piece Glen! :)

IMG_3676_zps2b6cabf8.thumb.jpg.81e59a4fd28626a84cd2ad4d27cafd74.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 2

That Imperial Gunner head is fantastic! I love the tie pilot too. For some reason that's been a favorite of mine. Was also my favorite figure too. All that black on black with hints of silver/grey and the hoses, just too cool.

What is that on the top left? That's pretty neat looking but I can't get a clear view. Sugar skull?

Edited by ohmoggi

I agree with you on the TIE.  That's on my Bucket List.  (pun intended)

You're getting good advice here.  Buying separately is an option, but will cost a little more in the long run.  In an effort to keep the expenses lower and keep peace in my family, I'm on the ATA wait list and will get the complete kit at one time. This will allow me to start on the shins and other pieces, before tackling the helmet.  But, until my kit arrives, I'm collecting the rest of the TK puzzle pieces as well as working on a DZ to get my number,

Good luck, ohmoggi!  And Welcome to FISD!

wingnut65 believe me I understand the cost efficiency, but let me be perfectly honest.. I'm sort of itchin' for a fix, so in my short-sightedness...

I suppose I could just save and wait to be frank. But it's a matter of waiting 6 months+ versus 1-3. Well, darn, I'm not sure what to do!

What is that on the top left? That's pretty neat looking but I can't get a clear view. Sugar skull?

That's an art piece I created--combining a stormtrooper with a wooden armour hat that some of my ancestors used to use on the coast here in BC and up to Alaska. I have another set of armour I painted up that I'm wearing in my profile pic.

I agree there are a lot of other areas to work on while you're on a wait list. A blaster build is always a fun way to while away the days.

• Like 1