Jedisaber's ANH Stunt TK Build

Luckily it was very very little on a piece of cheesecloth and on a very small spot. I didnt have anything else on hand and thought the paint would be harder to remove if it dried.

Anyone got any about the question above about the traps not being symmetrical?

I will get a photo up tonight after work. Not looking like each other. By themselves they look fine. Andy o me when looking at the paint inside the raised lines of the trap they look good. But when viewing both from behind they look way different.

Looks great so far! Yeah, acetone=bad.  Symmetry? On stormtrooper armor? Surely you're new here :P   There's nothing symmetrical about the armor. Don't worry about it.  You're doing a great job!

Here is the right one as viewed from the back. I think this one is perfect.

IMG_4946.jpg

And the other one. This needs some work if you ask me. the rounded top right corner and the not so straight left angle line. You can also see the little smudge underneath from the acetone. Not really noticeable from farther away.

IMG_4945.jpg

And then there is both of them. You see what i mean about them being drastically different?

IMG_4944.jpg

I would look to smooth out some of the handpainted lines around the edges. You can do this with a toothpick that is dipped in mineral spirits. It will crisp them up without losing the handpainted look. There is also the smudge beneath the left trap (when looking from the rear) that can also be cleaned up with mineral spirits, via a Q-tip and some elbow grease. Minor details, but I think it looks great!

I would look to smooth out some of the handpainted lines around the edges. You can do this with a toothpick that is dipped in mineral spirits. It will crisp them up without losing the handpainted look. There is also the smudge beneath the left trap (when looking from the rear) that can also be cleaned up with mineral spirits, via a Q-tip and some elbow grease. Minor details, but I think it looks great!

o

So I looked in michaels today and only foud. Brush cleaner and turpentine substitute. Are these the same as mineral spirits or should I ne looking for something else?

Also, anyone wanna point me in the right directions for white gloss paint that would be super helpful. I also looked in michaels and couldn't decide if I should buy oil based, acrylic, or what.

You can get mineral spirits at local paint stores, home depot, lowes, etc. I would be cautious of any brush cleaner as it could be acetone based. If you aren't sure, always test the cleaner on scrap abs first to see if you get chemical burns, warping etc.

For the gloss white, any testors gloss white should do the trick. I have even seen some posts with members using white na polish.

Question about the rear trap stripes. I put the template I got from trooper bay on my painted traps last night and turns out its bigger than the traps I painted. I put it on anyways and painted the lines that fit inside. I will get pictures up later but i wanted to know how many stripes need to be in each trap. The CRL just says with appropriate ANH details.

I always though it was 12 however, in this capture edited in Photoshop I count 10. Maybe some Steve can chime in here. 

gallery_12157_11_545823-crop.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

If you used Testors paint, they sell a paint thinner that will remove the paint and won't harm the plastic. Comes in those little glass bottles.

So anyone else care to comment on the number of stripes in the rear traps? If 10 works I would love that cause thats why i got.

Also does it matter which ear bar is painted black? the CRL just says one painted, not which one. I know the most often seen is the rear most ear bar. I was wondering if they meant different things for different ranks?

I believe the stripes ranged on the originals from 10-13. Trying to find the post to confirm.

The ear bar towards the rear of the helmet should be painted.

Hey Chris hold tight a bit on the traps, let's get some facts first. We should have an answer soon. 

Stunt - 1 black stripe on the ear, generally on the bump closest to the rear of the helmet.   

EDIT: Greg and I must have been typing at the same time haha

Edited by ukswrath

Well, its a bit late on the traps, they are already painted and using the template i had 10 was the most i could squeeze in. If I have to redo them in the future and remove all the paint/repaint i guess its not the end of the world. I am leaving town friday driving down to Cali for two months of training. Wanted to try and get the helmet done before Celebration. 

I know its normally the ear bump closest to the rear, but was just curious what it meant. I have seen some where other bumps were painted and was curious if the different bumps meant different things. Its for rank right?

I always though it was 12 however, in this capture edited in Photoshop I count 10. Maybe some Steve can chime in here. 

gallery_12157_11_545823-crop.jpg

On this helmet, there are 11 stripes.

Greg is right, it varies from helmet to helmet. I'd say from 11 up to 15! But the most common for Stunt would be 12.

On this helmet, there are 11 stripes.

Greg is right, it varies from helmet to helmet. I'd say from 11 up to 15! But the most common for Stunt would be 12.

12 is a good number for me  :duim:

In ROTJ screen and armor archive shots you can definitely see 10 but I've had a hard time finding a clear ANH shots. Not that it matters but the "Dave M" decals on Tbay are 12 also.

Again, 12 it is then.