Tall Storm Trooper

TK4999

OK, I have already been asked "aren't you a little tall for a stormtrooper?" I am 6'6" and just received my armor. I plan to enlist in the 501st when my pics are ready, but am concerned about all the "blackness" between the armor parts on my legs. Are there any tall troopers out there who have stumbled upon or invented interesting mods to help "close the gaps" a bit?

Thanks,

Steve Carter

I'm sure the feedback you'll usually hear is that you'd make a killer Vader. :)

I had a few thoughts run through my head, but nothing that was simple. Perhaps the simplest way to go if you were desperate would be to cut the thighs on the horizontal - basically separating the the lower 3" from the rest, adding a shim of ABS all the way around, filling, sanding, and repainting.

Scary to cut in to plastic I know, but you can get replacement thighs for about $45 shipped in a worst case scenario.

I'm sure the feedback you'll usually hear is that you'd make a killer Vader. :)

I had a few thoughts run through my head, but nothing that was simple. Perhaps the simplest way to go if you were desperate would be to cut the thighs on the horizontal - basically separating the the lower 3" from the rest, adding a shim of ABS all the way around, filling, sanding, and repainting.

Scary to cut in to plastic I know, but you can get replacement thighs for about $45 shipped in a worst case scenario.

Crap. I can't do anything right today. Let's try again...

Yeah, the real issue for me is the legs. The ab/back plate has LOTS of extra material to cover my torso, although I must admit that there is very little to spare. The arms are the same way since the bicep plate can extend fairly low beneath the shoulder cap (where once again I use most of the available space). But the gap between the torso/thigh and also the thigh/shin plates is where I have the problem. In a perfect world, there would be longer parts for both, since my sniper plate is below my knee. So "surgery" is really the only option. I am not sure, however, that I could do it well enough to avoid an ugly horizontal seam. Do you know of anyone who has done that successfully?

By the way, regarding being a killer Vader, I also have a Vader as well, however, it is not yet official in the 501st. I am having the leather garment tailored a bit since the former owner had more substantial "girth" than I do.

This is a tough one. I agree with Paul in that shimming filling and sanding is the way to go. What is this kit made out of? I personally would just lengthen the flange on top of the calf piece and below the thigh piece.

I believe TKBIG parts were wider and not longer as I recall.

Yeah, it's HUGE. Most people would swim in it. Possible to get some better pix of how the existing thighs fit, and how much gap there is in the legs?

It's certainly worth converting a set to see how it would work as proof of concept.

tk8020 said:
Yeah, it's HUGE. Most people would swim in it. Possible to get some better pix of how the existing thighs fit, and how much gap there is in the legs?

It's certainly worth converting a set to see how it would work as proof of concept.

True, I do not need more circumference in the thighs. My FX kit aleady had the larger thighs, so they are fine. I do need shimming in the calves though. I have attached a picture of me that has a good shot of my legs, if that helps.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

So you figure an extra 4 inches on the thighs and three on the shins?

That's close. I haven't actually made a measurement, since I don't know how close the two pieces of armor are supposed to be. Do they touch when you are standing?

Well the tops half looks to fit you very well,way better than shorter guys :P There's no real set distance between the leg parts.If you watch ANH you'll see lots of different sized actors,some with no gaps at the knees and some with lots.I would try adding a few inches to each part and see how that looks.You'll need bigger gaps at the backs anyway if you plan to walk up steps ;)

-Paul.