BatNinja's MTK Helmet Build

Having made the decision to go from TB to TK, one of the first things I did was purchase the MTK stunt helmet kit.  I got a box today!

-------------

I'll get some pics up tomorrow morning (my phone camera sucks in low-light conditions).

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

The first things I tackled were the eyes.  The MTK has a VERY faint delineation that seemed to suggest a good area to mark and cut.  I marked it with a pencil, used a cutting wheel on the Dremel to take the majority of the plastic away, then used a sanding disc to carefully get next to the pencil mark.

----------

A closer look:

------------

After some sanding, here's the final result:

--------

Next, I used a sanding wheel to shape the bottom edge.

-----------

I also trimmed the extra plastic off the top of the brow (cutting wheel, then sanding disc). 

Finally, I worked on the teeth.  I'm not 100% happy with the result, but after an hour or so of filing and sanding (I even sliced a sliver off an Emory board to fit in the smaller teeth), I think I've reached a point I where I can sleep tonight:

-------

Tomorrow, I'll stop by Home Depot and grab some rare earth magnets, so I can move onto the next step: attaching the face place to the dome!

Thoughts/suggestions/critiques welcome!

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

I second the brushing over spraying paint. Be very careful with that left ear on MTK's kit (I had to order a new one). It took some fine tuning and many swear words, but overall I'm happy w mine. I'm looking to upgrade the lenses and hovi mics over what was provided.

Paint reference:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8117-helmet-ab-paint-detail-reference-guide/

Edited by cm325i

Just for clarification, what's the issue with spray-painting?   I've always preferred it as it reduces the 'brush-stroke' look; it gives a smoother finish.   What am I missing?

And of course, what's wrong with the left ear?

I personally prefer the hand painted look as they were used on screen. It's just a preference. As for the ears, the shape of the right ear lends itself to trimming and fitting easily. The cast of the left ear is very different and much care should be taken to trim small amounts for fitting. I managed to over do it.

I have nothing against spray painting if I am using my airbrush. With a can, there is no way to control the amount of paint that comes out with each push of the button. If you want to give it a go, by all means have at it! Just make sure you mask everything very well

• Like 1

I suppose the hardest part of this entire project will be deciding on the brow height...I've been up for three nights trying different looks, but I think I like this o--------

Edited by gmrhodes13

So as I'm playing around with the magnets and brow height adjustments, I came across a potential hurdle.   The front and back pieces on the bottom of the left side of the helmet 'meet', which is what I expected:

----------

However, on the right side, there is a significant gap:

----------

Does anyone know if this is normal on the MTK Helmet?  Am I correct in assuming the ear piece will cover this gap and allow me to add the S-trim successfully?  Do I need to add a shim to this gap in order to screw the earpiece to the lower section of the helmet?

Please note, I did NOT do any trimming on the back piece to create this gap - this is the way it arrived.

Hey Eric! Good to see ya here!

Yea thats normal. I've seen it on MTK, ATA, AP...pretty much all of those. I usually trim the bottom opening on the face a touch wider, leave about half the plastic you have there, and then the ear and/or trim covers the gap. I try to make the bottom opening as wide as i can because these helmets tend to JUST fit on peoples heads lol.

Your doing a stellar job so far though bro!

I posted up this thread of building an NE helmet, but i think the best part is where i showed step by step how i personally do the ears with little to no errors. It really is the same for most helmets, and seems to have helped alot of folks so check that out if you want :) Of course there is more than one way to do it, but i found this method to give me the least amount of screw ups lol

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26301-ne-helmet-build/

Edited by Darth Voorhees
  • Like 1