DD E11 build

bearings

I have to start this thread with my story about USPS' inability to deliver mail properly. I ordered my DD resin kit from Trooperbay, which he promptly shipped, and USPS had the package marked as delivered. I never actually received the package, so I've spent lots of hours talking to carriers, local postal workers, regional postal consumer affairs people.. and waiting on hold. The package just seems to be gone and I don't know if I'll ever see it.

Mike was kind enough to work out an arrangement for a second kit to be shipped, which he again shipped out promptly. This time he left the package as 'Hold for delivery' so I would have to go pick it up at the local post office. I thought there's no way that USPS could lose the package this time.

I went to the local post office to pick it up. Some how, some way... they couldn't find the package. I waited for an hour while they looked, but they couldn't find it. I was supposed to get a call back, but that didn't happen. Rage.

So, I went back again this morning to check again while the carriers were still there loading up. Nothing to be found anywhere, and then I heard "I found it!". The manager saw the package as addressed to them as the pickup address, even though it had my name on it for "hold for delivery". She said she thought it was some kind of supplies for them, but when she opened it there were no directions so she just left it aside. I don't think E11's are standard office supplies for the USPS...

Anyway, without further delay, I present to you my standard photo with all the parts laid out:

14855856859_f6ddbfbf73.jpg

With one small (hopefully fixable) casualty:

14855978508_142701553a.jpg

Glad you finally got one of the packages. I had similar lost parcel cases with the US post office and UPS. One package was in transit for weeks and never seemed to end up at my door. Another package was lost, and mysteriously arrived 5 months later with a post mark dated 3 days before I actually ordered the items. They must have time machines to pull that off or just somebody was going to get nailed with an investigation and came up with that brilliant idea!

Congrats on the kit, looking forward to the build. Good luck!

the hardest part is starting lol.

Good Luck on your build. Enjoy it!!! I just finished my Hasbro, and I already want to do a full resin kit lmfao. But i'll wait for now and live vicariously through you haha.

Anyway, can't wait for the thread. Ask if you have any questions.

How much can you safely hollow out from the resin? I've got a few small electronic boards that I'd love to add in to the blaster for sound effects, but I'm not sure where to hide them. I'm considering hollowing out the magazine area to hide some things in there, possibly also some inside the barrel.

The boards I want to put in are:

I'm haven't actually put all of this together to see if it'll work yet, but I think something like this should work.

Edited by bearings

The resin is actually really sturdy. You should be able to hollow out a considerable amount. I agree that the magazine is a good/easy place to hide it.

You can definitely get creative with your build, everyone does it a little bit differently. Just make sure you shave off little by little to not unnecessarily remove excess.

good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while, but here are some updates.. I got out the dremel and hollowed out a bunch of resin today:

15299423081_5eaaa2f053.jpg

15115974258_0e8675e2fd.jpg

15299424701_d583c60f47.jpg

15115804619_bdcda2b20d.jpg

15299439201_62802e6d3a.jpg

And then I worked a little bit on getting the Arduino stuff working. I'll replace the full size Uno with something smaller when it gets installed. That speaker's too big too, but it works for testing purposes! I should be able to use the lever switch below with the trigger to make it functional.

15302199892_546f505bd9.jpg

• Like 1

The electronics look great. I am so interested in attempted what you are doing but it gets so confusing. The more I read up , the more confusing in gets. If you ever get a chance to do a simple tutorial on just the electronics I'd really appreciate it. Looking forward to more updates on your build!

Just this week Adafruit came out with a new board that doesn't even need the arduino!

http://www.adafruit.com/products/2133 

I ordered one and will try to use this instead of all the other things. It looks much simpler to use, I'll definitely document my build for you guys.

• 1 month later...

Small update on my E11 build, I was out of town for a bit and then my armor arrived.. so I've been neglecting it.

I'm using this type of switch for the trigger, it seems to work pretty well. I used a small piece of wire for the trigger pin, but the switch itself is the "spring" mechanism. I've included a spare one in the photo so you can see what it looks like on the inside, behind the trigger.

15638080147_4e8923518e.jpg

15638403750_fcc8089d5d.jpg

Finally, I'm using an even newer version of the sound board I linked to before.. this one has an amplifier built in, so it saves even more space!

They come in 2 MB and 16 MB sizes, I went with 2 MB.. should be more than enough: http://www.adafruit.com/products/2210

Basically add in a LiPoly battery and this is the whole setup. I'll probably add some kind of LED at the barrel end... unsure.

15203889113_211e8b0940.jpg

Small update on my E11 build, I was out of town for a bit and then my armor arrived.. so I've been neglecting it.

I'm using this type of switch for the trigger, it seems to work pretty well. I used a small piece of wire for the trigger pin, but the switch itself is the "spring" mechanism. I've included a spare one in the photo so you can see what it looks like on the inside, behind the trigger.

15638080147_4e8923518e.jpg

15638403750_fcc8089d5d.jpg

Finally, I'm using an even newer version of the sound board I linked to before.. this one has an amplifier built in, so it saves even more space!

They come in 2 MB and 16 MB sizes, I went with 2 MB.. should be more than enough: http://www.adafruit.com/products/2210

Basically add in a LiPoly battery and this is the whole setup. I'll probably add some kind of LED at the barrel end... unsure.

15203889113_211e8b0940.jpg

Will you use some kind of switch to change between the different play modes? If so, what will work?

Allso what speakers will you use for this set up? Great work on the trigger switch set up. Can't wait to see the electronics all set and installed.

I read up as much as I could about the adafruit soundboard but some of the technical stuff is all Greek to me so I am hoping to follow your lead on this!

Edited by Bulldog44

The sound board I'm using requires no code, so it's got some limitations. Basically it will play a sound based on what button/pin was pressed and the file name. So, the wav/ogg for pin #0 is "T00.wav". For Pin 1, it would be "T01.wav".. and so on up to "T10.wav". You just name the files based on what button you want to associate it with.

For a different sound when holding the button down for longer periods, you can have a file named "T00HOLDL.wav". If you want to loop through a sequence of sounds on subsequent button presses, you name the files like "T00NEXT0.wav", "T00NEXT1.wav", ... "T00NEXT9.wav". Another option is to play a random sound on each button press, where you name the files like "T00RAND0.wav", "T00RAND1.wav", ... "T00RAND9.wav".

Since the sounds are based on which pin/button are pressed, maybe I could find some kind of rotary/toggle thing to switch what pin the trigger button is connected to.. but outside of that I don't think it's easy to do with this board. I'll document the whole thing so you guys can see how it all comes together.. maybe after I'm done with this and my armor I'll do a more advanced build like I was originally planning.

Have the selector switch act as a button toggle for different sounds. 1 for Auto, 1 for semi and none for safe.

That being said, that's a lot of internal hollowing out!

Have the selector switch act as a button toggle for different sounds. 1 for Auto, 1 for semi and none for safe.

That being said, that's a lot of internal hollowing out!

Yes, I'm just brave/stupid enough to Dremel the heck out of my kit :)

What's the inner diameter of your pipe kits? Maybe I'll use that for my next build if I can more easily hide things in the barrel!

The ID is 36.5mm I may look into getting an ID of 36 but I have to test out the fitting of my parts first before I go with a new size of tube.

The bolt I make has a pass through hole about 10mm large for wiring so you can use the back of the E11 for a sound board, or batteries, or licorice. 

Yes, I'm just brave/stupid enough to Dremel the heck out of my kit :)

What's the inner diameter of your pipe kits? Maybe I'll use that for my next build if I can more easily hide things in the barrel!

• 4 weeks later...

I'll definitely be looking forward to the electronics build. I've never done much electronics work, but this stuff (and even arduino to a degree) appears to be relatively straight-forward and simple.

Truly exciting stuff!! Best of luck, can't wait to see the results.