ATA ANH Stunt helmet build - first build

bearings

My ATA helmet kit arrived this week, here's what was in the box! I'm happy there are 2 sets of ears, but hopefully I will only need one.

14563730530_865e2ecfb6.jpg

After some terrifying trimming here's what I have:

14747248321_a4e175b656.jpg

Following along with pandatrooper's build thread, I used my dremel to cut out the eyes and sand out some of the teeth material from the back. I'm waiting on a set of files to come in so I can clean up the shape of the teeth.

14770284173_774eb7f6c6.jpg

14727416976_d80702c2f4.jpg

Next up I'll try to attach the face and the cap/back. The kit came with one larger screw, which I assume is for joining these two together, but I see most people use rivets. Is there a big downside to just using the supplied screw? If I need rivets, what size are you guys using?

Keep going with those teeth. A lot more material should be taken out to give the tooth openings in between more of a square look than an oval. An exacto knife or small files are good tools to accomplish this.It looks like you could take a little more out of the eye openings as well. The mold line here is pretty clear on the inside.

A nice start. Something I wanted to throw out that I learned from others is painting the inside of your helmet black...it's strictly a preference thing but I did it and it helps keeps sun light from coming thru and any kids tryin to look up will see darkness.

Good luck!

Teeth are looking great!  I don't want to tell you how many hours I spent filing my helmet teeth.....   :blink:

And yes, having a file set made getting the fine-tuning of the teeth much easier.

Looking quite good!!

If you're up for it, I'd second painting the interior black. Looks great and reduces a big of glare, but as Steve mentioned, it is strictly a personal preference. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my progress so far, I'm not super happy with the ears due to some gaps. Instead of dwelling on that, I'm going to go with what I have so far and do some painting and see how I feel about it afterwards. I want them to be perfect, but those ears are pure evil! At least the kit came with 2 sets of ears, so I can try another time to see if I can improve them.

14865230284_fd14cd48e6.jpg

14864620361_8bcde5be4e.jpg

Here's my helper trying it on for me

14681065158_9578cf6747.jpg

From the pictures you've posted so far Ben, I'd say that the ears look great! Nice work.

LoL... Your hands can take a bit of a beating during the TK build process. That's for sure.

Started to paint today (with lots of help from my artistic wife). It's just the first coat, so I'll clean up and extend the frown a bit more when I do the second pass.

14751260599_e6cc00bc4d.jpg

14914929606_387b582bc9.jpg

14937935175_da241db040.jpg

14914931696_9a5ae2ca7c.jpg

Looking good with the painting!  I feel you could go a little wider with the black on the tears, primarily at the bottoms.  I had an issue with making them too small.  After having some great feedback, this is the size my tears are:

MXPrATM.jpg

bb7ji4d.jpg

Edited by maxsteele

More painting updates, second coat going on the grey areas later this afternoon. I think the tear areas look more filled in now, when I take a photo from a different angle it looks like it's a little small, but it does go all the way up to the wall.

14824421608_d51ecd182c.jpg

14824325169_8246aa2cf8.jpg

15021459505_0a2c8f9208.jpg

With mic tips and playing with a different look on the frown. Ears are still loosely fit while I paint.

14835021107_f312b41a56.jpg

14835013837_78bb816f8b.jpg

Since the ATA waiting list is so long, I've had more time to think about it and I'm considering switching to an AP (or TM, depending on $/availability) based on my body frame size. Maybe I'll do ESB style with the AP helmet so I can have two different styles!

Edited by bearings