A Slightly Disheveled Medium and a Pristine Big Brown Box Arrived Today - Dark's RT-Mod ANH Hero (and Stunt) Build Thread

Oooohh, using the blasphemous Velcro..... ;)

Not sure if it's too late but the 10/13mm trimming method was changed in the CRL's some time ago to the present 45 degrees http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt. It's probably an easy fix, or may not in fact matter for your EIB/Centurion status.

Another minor pick up. Have you seen this thread http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26477-what-we-know-about-strapping-snaps-rivets-etc/. Another minor one, with the drop box elastic width that shouldn't matter for any approvals, but knowing your perfectionism :).

Other than that, all coming along great. Looks fantastic. I did a similar trick with the drop boxes, however I put the elastic all the way over the belt to give a 'looped' effect.

Edited by Sith Lord

Looking good but I think you will need to add some heat to the belt plastic section, they do tend to pop of without the curve, snaps just aren't strong enough to hold it when i'ts straight ;)http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/8757-howto-get-a-good-heat-bend-on-your-belt/?hl=%2Bbelt#entry246564

Thanks, Ian. I'm actually aware of that thread, but did manage to miss the drop box elastic measurement previously. :/ Thank you. Successive belt builds will be correct in that regard.

The corners, I've seen both approved - granted, when the measurements are cut correctly. LoL. If it needs to be adjusted, it will be an easy fix, really. Just a quick snip with the Lexan scissors.

The Velcro is going to be used in conjunction with elastic on the right side.

Glen, thank you. I'm not going to lie, that heat gun scares the bejesus out of me. I'll dig into that research before I touch that thing again. LoL.

Steve, thanks. It feels like it's moving quickly until I remind myself that I'm hoping to troop in two weeks from well, right this very moment. LoL. When I think about that, it feels as though I still have tons to get done.

Thanks, Bill! I've got a mission (Troop) on the 19th. So I'm a TK Cadet on a mission now. LoL. Got to be ready for that one.

Before heading to bed, I decided I should share another picture.

After getting the belt together (and confirming that the snaps don't hold it for squat) I decided to throw on my upper body (minus gloves) and have my wife take a "test-fit" (ego boost) picture.

Here it is - the belt is not snapped on in the photo, and since this picture was taken, I felt that it just looked "naked" without painted ab buttons, so the paint is drying right now. LoL.

IMG_2858_zps911ac2a1.jpg

Thanks, Eddy!

Next update: paint. Some of that paint (gray) is good, and some of that paint (blue) is bad. There may or may not be Re-Painting in the update. The update will also include... Sewing. This is not sewing of anything resembling professional caliber, but things appear to be staying together so far.

With this new "skill" in my toolbox, I believe that I'll be ready for the 19th, pending my approval timeline, but I've got to finish the build, first.

Moving along happily!!

Tip from the pros Tim. Sew your shoulder snaps the right way around. Apparently it's a pain in the you know what to have to unpick the stitching, re-sew them the right way and jab yourself with a needle an extra 2 times. That's what a friend told me anyway :)

Looking good Tim! I've got your thread bookmarked for when my turn comes up. It's amazing how much research is required to build this armor set.

Thanks, everyone...

The teething, sleepless two-year old is still a very real presence in the house.

The sewing machine has also decided to hate me, and I'm seriously frustrated with it at the moment. I hope to be getting back into the build a little more heavily this weekend. Hell, I really aim to submit my Legion approval pictures early/mid next week to be able to troop in eight or nine days.

I went ahead and trimmed the excess width out of my thighs, to get the conical shape, and will be cutting a bit off of the top of the cod as well in the very near future. The cod will be attached with snaps/straps, and I'm about ready to just glue the straps together for my approval/first troop and make improvements (i.e. my original plan) as I go along from there, since the sewing machine is really irritating me lately. I'll be looking to reshape (shorten) the tops of the thighs in the next couple of days. The width is great, but they are just too tall, when I wear them above my knees, they are already in my cheeks and in my hips. I've just got to draw a few lines, compare some pictures, make a few cuts to get them to where they need to be so I can wear them comfortably.

I'd promise a picture update, but really, I'm not ready to post one just yet. I'm getting there, but I'm slowed by life at the moment. :(

I feel for you. I have a 20 month old at home, and doing the build under those conditions was not easy. I'm pulling for you to get this done on time, but if not, there wil always be more troops to follow. I missed my first expected troop because I just couldn't get things approved in time. But I know another troop is just over the horizon...

Thank you again, gentlemen. :D

Sew... (see what I did there?) The last 24 hours have seen a major break-through on the sewing machine hate.

In hind-sight, the entire sewing machine problem rests squarely on me. LoL

I made the mistake of "over-engineering" my straps to an extent, trying to use sticky-back Velcro, along with the snaps, elastic, and polypropylene webbing. The sticky-back Velcro gummed up the machine, causing me to break a needle. This is the beginning of the slippery slope of sewing machine "issues" that I've been dealing with. Once that first needle broke, I thoroughly cleaned the machine to eliminate the sticky gunk. I abandoned the sticky-back Velcro altogether moving forward, in favor of sew-in Velcro. After cleaning the machine, I replaced the needle, and all hell broke loose immediately thereafter.

Funny thing about machines - sewing or otherwise - when they're properly assembled and maintained, they tend to last a long time and work beautifully. When a rookie/novice user attempts to make small repairs, for instance - replacing a sewing machine needle - but does not RTFM, mistakes get made. Yes, *I* put the needle(s) in backwards. That was the cause of all of my angst with the sewing machine in the last week.

With that figured out, all of my strapping was assembled (save a few minor bits - shin closures, and elastic loops for the shoulder bridges) within an hour, and it is all currently awaiting the E6000 securing the snap plates that it will attach to, to dry.

I've got pictures uploading to Photobucket now.

With this out of the way, I have to put together those closures/elastic loops, put the snaps in the shoulder bridges to support the shoulder bells, build the thighs, and install the electronics. That's it before submitting my approval photos. After that, the fun of upgrading bits and pieces for EIB/Centurion begins.

Should be submitting photos within days!

Feeling accomplished. Also feeling half-stupid over the sewing machine problem, but hey... Tis solved now :D

Edited by Dark CMF

Thank you again, gentlemen. :D

Sew... (see what I did there?) The last 24 hours have seen a major break-through on the sewing machine hate.

You're a funny man Tim. You should consider a change of career. On second thoughts...... LOL!

I made the mistake of "over-engineering" my straps to an extent, trying to use sticky-back Velcro, along with the snaps, elastic, and polypropylene webbing. The sticky-back Velcro gummed up the machine, causing me to break a needle. This is the beginning of the slippery slope of sewing machine "issues" that I've been dealing with. Once that first needle broke, I thoroughly cleaned the machine to eliminate the sticky gunk. I abandoned the sticky-back Velcro altogether moving forward, in favor of sew-in Velcro. After cleaning the machine, I replaced the needle, and all hell broke loose immediately thereafter

I did that too on my last build. It was terrible! I'm doing all my sewing by hand this time around. An no sticky velcro.

I'm also struggling with Photobucket at the moment. Is yours working ok Tim? Not sure if it's the software or my computer.....

In my absence this build thread slipped right by me. First there were the RT builds that used cover strips and I was pretty wowed. Now a RT build using (mostly) accurate strapping brackets has captured my attention. I think this may be a FISD first no?

Did you ask Rob for more of a return edge on your chest plate? He usually leaves none.

Looking good so far trooper. 

-Eric

I usually wear a pink flowered apron when I sew. It seems to help me "get in touch". Are you going to sew your own belt?

Just a suggestion, before you sew your elastic bits for the brackets, get a good sized nail, heat it with a torch and gently pull it across the edges so they don't fray. You can't just melt the ends of elastic like nylon webbing by sticking it in the flame. This is due to the rubber strands in the elastic. This will save you some future headaches

You're a funny man Tim. You should consider a change of career. On second thoughts...... LOL!

I did that too on my last build. It was terrible! I'm doing all my sewing by hand this time around. An no sticky velcro.

I'm also struggling with Photobucket at the moment. Is yours working ok Tim? Not sure if it's the software or my computer.....

Speaking of funny guys, it's Ian!!! ;) I've had no problems with Photobucket lately, Ian. The sticky Velcro seems like such an obviously great idea, until you try to use it, huh? LoL

Eric, while I'm not positive whether it is a first, I haven't found any builds that used it in the past. I also can't find any RT Hero Centurions, so I'm hoping to be the first of those. We'll see though, I guess. I may simply have missed one in the threads.

I didn't make any special requests of Rob for the return edge, the chest plate was the only piece that had one that I would call usable though. Rob definitely cleans the kit up very well before shipping it out. In looking at past RT builds, and my own armor, I'd say that Rob has been making some very subtle changes as he goes along. Little stuff like the Hero bucket, and the return edge on the chest are just some examples. I do wish that the forearm tracks would run the length of the outside plate, but I'm attempting to correct that one on my armor. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for chiming in. Your build was the first RT build thread I read, and has been referenced several times during mine so far. The wait list, and the frequency with which the builds are appearing here are clear indicators that we're going to take over eventually. LoL. They can't repel TKs of this magnitude.

Steve, my belt is done already. Courtesy of TKittel and some build references along the way. I had a lot of anxiety over doing it for some reason, but just plodded on through it.

As for the pink flowered apron... What's wrong with you, man?

Edited by Dark CMF