Make do and mend

Hi,

sometimes we make some crazy things:-) build armors out of plastic, look at references to make the best molds ever or build our own blaster from scratch. I think that's really crazy.

BUT WE LOVE IT!!!

This time i decide to refurbish my M38 scope. The condition was not really bad but i liked to make a scope for a "black" E11 blaster. That's crazy too because i'm a boy out of the sand and i

love weathered things...Oh yes, i can hear some guys out of my speaker: WHAT DID YOU MAKE???? The original color..and so on and so on. Yes, i did it: And here are some pics...i hope

you enjoy it:-)

The beginning

E4528984-4D33-4013-B2D6-3E72B1118C80_zps

You know the movie The Blob??

7B70BC89-1DB0-425F-B0FA-B9C95BB2A1C5_zps

I said the condition is good...

673261C5-72D2-4EE1-9214-E94BFC54EE2B_zps

53B1241F-798D-4CD0-88EE-1E92788C0E8C_zps

First results (looks like a picture out of an british antique magazine:-) 

555AA108-C3B4-4F77-BA6C-44A7DEDBE095_zps

E0805C80-1632-4D1B-8810-87B09AA95405_zps

E661541A-F7A1-4B95-8006-34CE93DDD6F2_zps

And here the whole parts of an complete M38 scope

07F4B142-AB2D-4CC6-8D23-1C33F53C3083_zps

So that's it. Now the scope is in a paint removing bath. The screws are in an other bath, like C3PO on Tatooine...you know the picture! 

• Like 1

AWESOME!!! I did a similar disassembly and cleaning, but didn't strip the original paint. What do you intend to use to replace the original black sealer (especially noticeable around the edges of the front lens assembly)? I used black gasket maker/RTV, but wondered if there might be a better material for this.

Can't wait to see it finished!!!

Is this where we guess how many screws or parts you have left over when you put it back together? :D

LoL.  I'm laying claim to 3 right now. 

There are always 2 when you're talking Sith Lords, but there are always an odd number of parts left over, like one bolt and two nuts.

On-Topic:  This is awesome to have a look at.  Many thanks for doing this and sharing it, Felix!

I just have to keep my kids away from tray :peace:

Thanks guys! The cleaning process is finished...

And yes Aaron that's the master question! Today i will start the research to find the right perhaps a special weapon/gun color.....

EDIT: haha...found two colors for weapon coating: Cerakote and Duracoat. Both 2-k colors and both toooooooooooo expensive!

60-80$ for ONE spray can.....

So i think i will use "normal" 2-K varnish. It seems to be that a good black color tone is RAL 9021

Edited by Felice

Wow!  That looks really nice and you're doing a great job polishing, even in the difficult areas.  What's the final goal?  To smooth out the scope body, then paint?  I would be worried about paint adhesion after all the polishing.  Usually, you would want to "rough up" a glossy surface to give the paint something to grip?

My goal is a scope "out of the box"...means a "new scope". So the only technique i know is burnishing. Or special gun color like guncote. But this color is quite expensive....any other suggestions? Normal 2 k spray color with an 2k coat?

Factory finishes involve special products to provide durability and chemical resistance, especially for mechanical parts.  GunKote is baked into the metal.  Normal gun bluing involves baking in salts and is essentially a form of controlled rust which acts as a protective coating to prevent further oxidation.  Cold bluing is a chemical reaction which also produces controlled rust.  All of these treatments are durable because there's something happening at the molecular level in the base metal.  Paint is just a surface coating.  2K or epoxy paint is much tougher, but it's still just paint, which can be scratched or chipped.

The body of a scope doesn't experience any kind of mechanical wear or rubbing like trigger parts.  It also doesn't get cleaned and oiled regularly like the internal parts of a gun.  Scopes just get an occasional external wipe down.  I think every one of these M19/M38/M40 scopes shows some kind of cosmetic wear (brass showing) since they've been around for a long time.  If they were originally treated with something like Gunkote or bluing, I don't think you'd see as many with exposed brass.  In other words, a factory coating like Gunkote probably would have lasted much longer without wearing away.  IMHO, I think the scope body was just painted with a regular black paint.  I might be wrong - I haven't researched it.

For a prop or replica which won't experience severe duty, I think 2K paint will look just fine, if you can apply it thin enough.  Of course, your ultimate choice for a thin, durable finish would be GunKote or DuraCoat.  You get what you pay for.  Interested to see how you finish!!!

Edited by usaeatt2

Nice Aaron!!!

Yes, i know the chemical reactions of burnishing. We have a gunsmith just a few km away...i will ask him what the best technique is to color a scope.

I Think for a scope you don't need the normal gun bluing...but i don't really know it. I ask him because it seems that I NEED an expert for this special question:-)

But thanks again Aaron for your short wrap up!

Cheers,

Felix

I was the wron customer for my gunsmith:-( not buying a gun just coming with an old scope...his face said: no business. LOL thats Germany.

BUT: he said that guncote or duracote doesn't fit to an historical scope and he is right.

So i ordered a special metal coat and a 2k acrylic black color...for 50€ :peace: