My First Build Thread - AP Untrimmed Kit

oh my goodness. I have a 16 month old. I am building a kid lid... there may or may not be a finger print on my frown...

I get the most work done after bedtime... the dishes can wait lol

Well I got some time to work on my armor yesterday and today I am starting to tackle the biceps.

Question: do the biceps have return edges on them at the top and bottom? I have seen many pics that seem to show a return edge and some that don't, so I just want to make sure if they do or not before I go any further with them. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So today was a good day for building being the first day of summer and all. So I decided to work on my helmet as it has been bugging me since I got my kit that I have it in pieces, well today was the day it came together...minus the ears..as I am fearing doing them after reading all the posts about how difficult they are first time out. But no the less on ward building! I got all the trimming done awhile ago I just had to wait on funds to get the hardware and tools needed for assembly. Once I got my four rivets in - two either side - I tried a test fit and found out that I have a bit more sanding to do around the neck area cause even though it fits nice when I have it on it still is a tight fit getting on especially when I roughly put the 'S' neck trim on I can barely pull it over but no the less I just have more sanding to do then it's onto...the ears.... I also went with the raised brow look for my trooper not sure why just like the look of them being surprised lol.

th_00B114A0-0BC6-4202-B1AD-02C56F0D514C_

th_F1F5C9F1-7BBE-4F00-A777-0B407DE5AD48_

th_D4AE2DE8-5C82-423B-A7DC-997CDA09C3BD_

th_103E150A-67B6-4B0E-89E6-9B6342334E41_

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Find a local RC hobby shop and get a pair of Lexan curved scissors. It will speed up your rough trim significantly.

Im late to the thread, but started my rough trim on an ATA kit with Lexan scissors, and wow, what a huge help so far. Now only if they were magic and could finish for me. :)

You're doing good on the helmet, give us an update when you can...

Edited by thederek

Finally got some time to work on my build. I've been trying to gather up the nerves to work on my ears, from what I have read they seem to be the most difficult but I want to finish my helmet so I have no choice but to do my ears. Here is my left ear done to my standards. After doing more than enough research on ears I noticed that most of the ANH stunt helmets have gaps all over the place and being that each helmet was hand assembled it seems you can find differences for each ear even it they are on the same helmet. So please let me know what you think of my ear.

Thanks,

Ps. The right one is currently being worked on as I type.

th_5b1fa4fdfc0afd5fef8b87cdbbe2ced0_zpsf

th_34b918d8c79058d4225ce9df995ce654_zpsc

th_a3087085960a8962670ce99675fbcff0_zpsc

Edited by cdn_fanboy

So I have finished my helmet to where I have to do final touch ups to get ready for paint and final assembly. I ran into a problem while working on the right ear, when I went to fit it on I counter sunk it a bit too much so to fix this problem I used a lock nut so the screw wouldn't fall through, I would like to get a new set of ears or even just one right but for now my fix can work till I am closer to approval. Let me know what you think, I always welcome criticism either good or bad.

th_b3f5af88614ed2aed51e5caf267145fd_zpsd

th_7cac11dacdee95278316005a6edbc035_zps0

th_0d68a495e43a92486b79394455d96461_zpsa

• 3 weeks later...

Mic tip question. For centurion do the mic tips HAVE to be hollow or multi-piece? The reason why I am asking is because I picked up a set of tips off trooperbay and they are a solid one piece cast not the hollow ones I have seen on a lot of buckets. Here are some pics of my mic tips

D179DAC2-4B89-4850-ADB1-8EDE5B8025CB_zps

BFF45CB8-3444-4346-A7A6-CFAB4880A47A_zps

And here they are installed.

1321143D-AD28-4783-BB02-E0041CE2B007_zps

Added tube stripes to my helmet, looking to get some building done this long weekend. Other than that not much progress has been made when you have a little one on the way and a 2.5 year old to chase around.

86D85127-879C-4C8D-A7D0-4975D1E61643_zps

FBD135C1-EA50-415D-9E3C-DFF3731FD89F_zps

• 11 months later...

So it's been a bit since I've updated my build thread. With a new baby and then funds running low building had to be put off for a bit but after slowly acquiring the $$ needed to finish I was able to get to this point. I haven't posted any updates as I was more concerned about getting work done with the limited time I had then to take pics and post. Now that I am done for BASIC approval I've thought it was time to update. I plan on going for centurion later but my goal is to lose the weight and not have to shim. Let me know what you think. I've taken about 1.5-2" off the top of the thighs and 1" off the bottom of the shins. Still need to cut out the back for movement (stairs aren't a good thing right now), and paint the rivets white.4D7ECC87-6D72-4DE6-808B-1CCD967EB251_zps

BF5F70C7-9845-4547-AAF1-5A468A4DD895_zps

7101125B-F351-498E-B7A2-89F3BDA570CC_zps

A522DE20-F777-4333-83C7-8633DA7AB059_zps

EDE6F502-F171-4137-855E-166DC03BA4DD_zps

605EBFCE-D384-4A03-B30F-63A9B16D1F47_zps

Hi Bryan, looks good mate.

As long as you are comfortable when walking and can bend at the knees a little, it should be fine.

Stairs are usually an obstacle for TK's, have you tried to negotiate a set as yet?

You can always shorten the shins a tad from the bottom to give a little more flexibility. just follow the contour that is there already if need be.

Hi Bryan, looks good mate.

As long as you are comfortable when walking and can bend at the knees a little, it should be fine.

Stairs are usually an obstacle for TK's, have you tried to negotiate a set as yet?

You can always shorten the shins a tad from the bottom to give a little more flexibility. just follow the contour that is there already if need be.

Thanks Andrew!

Yes I have, going up them I struggle but manage to get up, coming down though...that's a whole other problem. I might have to take a bit more off the bottom of the shins but I'll see how I am after I cut the backs out (found some not so nice pinch points that need to be taken care of), once I do that I should have more movement then I do right now.

• Like 1

I think you should add the shims in as you can always trim them down as you continue to cut weight. 

I was thinking that, but I feel if I leave them out it will give me that extra push I need to lose the weight. If I shim then I really don't have that motivation and I need all the motivation I can get.

I hear ya! As far as those "Mike" tips... they should be fine and that's what I have for now too. Just use a toothpick or something to pull the mesh out and paint the indented portion white. Add a spot of glue and put the mesh back in. 

• Like 1