Vacuum forming mold materials

Hello everyone, i am New here and really excited to meet you all :)

Here is my question, i have been making "amateur" stormtrooper armors now for a while for my Brothers and closest friends, but i now feel like a want to "step it up" a notch ;)

So i am thinking of making some molds and just wondered:

Which are the best materials to make the molds out of? I am pretty skilled With Wood, would Wood molds work?

Also, is it possible to vacuum form right out from the plastic armor, or will the plastic melt and you end upp getting 2 really bad armor pieces?

Thank you so much and have a Nice day!

P.S I am posting a Picture of one of my armors that i have made, I would really like to hear what you all think of it! I am very well aware that it isnt Perfect and no way near 501st approvable!

Thanks again!

:)

post-20738-0-66601800-1399835404_thumb.jpg

There are certain parts that can use wood but those are very few. Most all parts need to be sculpted then have molds formed from that. But that is only step one. Then you must find right plastic that will form well, is thick enough to be durable yet thin enough to form detail, has UV properties to prevent yellowing, and has a nice glossy finish. Proper research and shape to your sculpts will be crucial to your success.

the first step in our hobby is extreme accuracy.  every element needs to be carefully sculpted and the shape and scale is very very important.

the second steps are assembly and materials.

so that being said there are many who start out by looking at screenshots from the film, and sculpting parts out of plaster.  then

they go through a process of taking that and creating molds from stronger materials.

usually the materials used are heat resistant resins

the armor you show in your photos is very different from what we're used to looking at here.

in our hobby we frown upon suits without a certain degree of "screen used" styles.

we also frown upon taking molds from other makers... it's usually best to simply

purchase a suit and build it up. but making copies is frowned upon greatly.

it takes most people several thousands of dollars to make molds, and refine them for scale and shape.

personally it made me sad to witness the waste of time and materials shown in your project.

take accuracy on as a challenge here and meet up with members in the 501st legion in your area.  witnessing armor in person will help take you to the next level, but remember... this is not a business... it's a hobby that supports charity... not financial gain.

Welcome!

That is an awesome armor! It might not be screen-accurate, as Vern points out. But of all the home-made, amateur armors I've seen, yours take the prize.

What's it made of? And did you make 'Work in progress'-thread somewhere online?

What Vern said is true but hey, if you enjoy sculpting stuff by all means do so. :)

Although you might not get to the same level of screen accuracy as the armorers here (I'm not saying that you wont) the reward by simply

looking at an armor knowing that You created everything should make it worth it. People here are hung up on authentisity (don't get me wrong that's a good thing) but if you think it's fun making "not as good" armors by all means I totally suport you. :) Good luck if you go all the way ;)

TK Bondservnt 2392, i am humble to your reply and thank you for sharing your knowledge in the subject, although, i don't think this project has been a, as you say it, "waste of my time and money", we all have to start somewhere and i as i said, i have only been making this for family and friends, as birthday gifts mostly, with no intention of earning any money. I have learned alot about vacuum forming and plastic and it has been really fun. And absolutely worth the money it took to buy the plastic sheets.

To Jannick, thank you so much, i am absolutely aware that it is a crappy armor but for my first try i am actually glad with the result. Even though it doesnt really look like an actual stormtrooper^^ the molds i have been using is simply cardboard, that i have formed with duct tape. And the material that the armor is made of is HIPS 1,5 mm plastic. Which does the trick for me :)

Unfortunatly i dont have that many pictures. It wasnt until i was almost done that i realised that i should have documented the project. Even though it's amateur made.. I will see if i can find some photots though :)

the first step in our hobby is extreme accuracy. every element needs to be carefully sculpted and the shape and scale is very very important.

the second steps are assembly and materials.

so that being said there are many who start out by looking at screenshots from the film, and sculpting parts out of plaster. then

they go through a process of taking that and creating molds from stronger materials.

usually the materials used are heat resistant resins

the armor you show in your photos is very different from what we're used to looking at here.

in our hobby we frown upon suits without a certain degree of "screen used" styles.

we also frown upon taking molds from other makers... it's usually best to simply

purchase a suit and build it up. but making copies is frowned upon greatly.

it takes most people several thousands of dollars to make molds, and refine them for scale and shape.

personally it made me sad to witness the waste of time and materials shown in your project.

take accuracy on as a challenge here and meet up with members in the 501st legion in your area. witnessing armor in person will help take you to the next level, but remember... this is not a business... it's a hobby that supports charity... not financial gain.

Vern, this is uncalled for. You do not speak for the whole community, nor the hobby. Don't be a jerk to people coming here and trying to say hi, and show their previous work, regardless to its level of quality or accuracy.

And the first step in our hobby is not extreme accuracy. That is a step that some people go to, but it it not for everyone.

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TK Bondservnt 2392, i am humble to your reply and thank you for sharing your knowledge in the subject, although, i don't think this project has been a, as you say it, "waste of my time and money", we all have to start somewhere and i as i said, i have only been making this for family and friends, as birthday gifts mostly, with no intention of earning any money. I have learned alot about vacuum forming and plastic and it has been really fun. And absolutely worth the money it took to buy the plastic sheets.

To Jannick, thank you so much, i am absolutely aware that it is a crappy armor but for my first try i am actually glad with the result. Even though it doesnt really look like an actual stormtrooper^^ the molds i have been using is simply cardboard, that i have formed with duct tape. And the material that the armor is made of is HIPS 1,5 mm plastic. Which does the trick for me :)

Unfortunatly i dont have that many pictures. It wasnt until i was almost done that i realised that i should have documented the project. Even though it's amateur made.. I will see if i can find some photots though :)

Folders, welcome to the community!

If you have a love for Star Wars costuming, and the willingness to always keep working at it, your gear will surely come up in accuracy and you have a whole team here ready and willing to give you tips and pointers. Don't let the 1 person like Vern put you off. He has no filter.

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would like to point out that in many ways this hobby has rewards beyond accuracy... as mans correctly points out having fun is his main

purpose... and if that's the result then fun is the best goal anyone can have.

I shared my opinion in a bold and possibly blunt way, and I'm sure that I could have been even more to the point.

walt is one of the people here in this hobby that has done quite a bit of exactly what mans is speaking of here

it's correct that I don't speak for anyone but my own opinions, I do care quite a bit about the TK armor, and I've been watching

this hobby progress from the FX armor all the way up to the EFX and anovos offerings.  I've been involved in costuming for most

of my adult life, starting in the early 70's with star trek and other types... 

soon we'll all have the option of having screen used armors.

my goal with my post is to point mans to individuals in sweden, for we have quite a group of fine individuals in that region

of the world, and the education of the form, can be quickly seen when he get's the chance to see it firsthand.

having a passion, and having fun each has it's own reward... I was just a little shocked when I saw the armor that mans has created

and instead of bringing a critical mindset to the placment of his parts, shapes and so on.. I tried to explain the main purpose

behind the FISD (accuracy) and I tried to explain the main purpose behind the legion itself (charity)

I could have been far more critical.  I also think that if mans wants to, he can certainly take walt up on his offer to help

of all the people around here walt is one of the prime examples of exactly the same kind of passion that mans offers to our

community.

it's profound the lengths we go to for fun in this hobby, and I do have to say it will be interesting and fun for me to watch

this project continue.

I'm gathering a series of photographic links, and other links to help out.

there will be a series of clickable links for mans to consider, with the help of this great resource

the FISD.

links from original armor

LFL ( a comparison between the original suit, and the suit designed and built by shepperton design studios)

tk caleb's section - http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/15-lucas-film-archives-tkcaleb/

joe r- section - http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/16-lucas-film-archives-joer/

tour- a suit that was created after the film was made as a promotional tool.  (note the differences in design details)

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/9-star-wars-identities-tour-suit/

RS props an original suit and a series of photos (an incredible find, owners of an original suit)

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/59-the-rs-suit/

www.starwarshelmets.com a great resource for looking at comparisons between different makers and the different films

divided into sections

original screen used - http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-helmets-sub-submenu.htm

licensed replicas (not always the best in quality or even accuracy) - http://www.starwarshelmets.com/Stormtrooper-Armor-helmet-licensed-replica.htm

fan made versions- http://www.starwarshelmets.com/fan-made-stormtrooper-armor-submenu.htm

armor comparisons- http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-comparisons.htm

some interesting videos

while it's not credited very well, this is an interesting video showing AA working on forming helmets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09CmSZVBIj0

shepperton design studios- this producer worked on the original film, but after production ended he was forced to attempt to re-create his designs.

http://originalstormtrooper.com/

the battle between LFL and shepperton design studios

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepperton_Design_Studios

the original sculptors

Liz moore - http://www.rspropmasters.com/liz-moore/

Brian muir - http://www.brianmuirvadersculptor.com/star-wars---a-new-hope-1.html

some more interesting information about shepperton design studios

a facebook group started by brian muir.  and brian is not happy!

Walt's amazing journey to making child's armor, with a flair for accuracy.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19914-kids-armor/

as you can see just from this gathering of information there is a huge amount of materials passionately created by

individuals filled with the desire to continue the stormtrooper costume.

I applaud your interest, and I hope that this gathering of information is helpful in your desire to have fun.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Welcome Mans!

I applaud your efforts.  Every time I do a new project, I learn something.  If you are having fun and learning along the way, then keep doing it.  Through your collective learning, your projects will get better and better.  From your armor project, I'm sure you learned the properties of HIPS plastic and how to work with it.  If you keep creating, you'll advance to better plastics and better tools.  I'll use a musical analogy - my wife has been playing professionally for over 40 years.  She started out on a cheap, beginner piano.  As her skills improved, she got progressively better equipment until we finally bought a baby grand piano a few years ago.

It seems like you're asking about materials so you can take the next step in your hobby.  Talk to Walt.  Shoot him a PM with your questions.  Try new plastics, try new mold materials and maybe build a vacuum table.  Check out the threads in "The Foundry" area.

One recent thread which might be of PARTICULAR interest to you:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/27185-albuquerque-storm-trooper-helmet-mold/

Most of all, GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!

Ta answer your questions....yes some molds are wood.. but quckly gets turned over to a better less...dingable product like rondo or a molding thingy ,,i cant think of the name right now.......i started with plaster , becouse you can really work with that and then once i got the shapes where i wanted i put in the final details. then i did deep pulls in hips and with the pulls from that i poured in the harder stuff...it is process that is very long and tiring but fun.....for good looking armor you want to find abd that is smooth on both sides...it is a bit more money.. the hips is fine but is brittle and doesn't offer a lot of movement....i went with .060 white flexible abs on my first sets and it was nice.......anything else??