Tm-RS-CapWest Helmet Build ( comparison )

Ok, so i started a few helmet builds, got them all to about the same stage and thought i would share some of the comparisons. 

RS on the Left,   TM in the middle, and Cap-West on the Right. 

The RS i will be using for my TD and am trying to replicate the Cantina Sergeant with the Gaps in the Ears. The TM i was going for ANH, and the Scootch lid, i was going to do something Metal Mulisha Style, but i couldnt bring myself to alter the beautiful TK. Thats ok, I have a black lid coming i am going to Trick out... Also i Have a Left over face plate from RS i can't let go to waste so I will be Doing something different with as well... Stay Tuned, It is going to be radical. 

Next Up... Paint... Oh, My Nerves...

image_zps9d0cf50a.jpg

image_zpsf79f4f77.jpg

Wow. Awesome pics. I didn't realize the RS is a little bit bigger than TM.

i think those pictures are pretty deceiving, maybe due to the assembly, but TM and RS have pretty much the same size:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26613-tm-vs-rs-vs-ap/?fromsearch=1

I'll get some other angles and lighting. The RS may be just a tad bit bigger, when I wear them they feel very close in size though.

Does anyone know , how much paint is required to hand paint the details on the helmets? I have a quarter ounce of black and grey, but I think I need more to do all three.

Ok, so i got on the painting, man, the anticipation was the worst part, i had no clue as to how easy it was... well not easy, but not as hard as i thought it would be. i started on the RS because it being  "wonky" i thought if i hade any mistakes, it would be as it was in the 70's... lol, just kidding, i know they did not sweat the fine details though is what i am referring to. One trick was to pencil in the outlines, once i had those marks, i felt much more comfortable with the paint brush. Put on some music, and let the paint flow...Actually pleased with the initial result. any feedback will be appreciated. 

:smiley-sw013:

IMAG3413_zpse097864d.jpg

IMAG3415_zps220290b3.jpg

IMAG3416_zpsbd01728f.jpg

IMAG3417_zps988096f4.jpg

image_zps8f7129b6.jpg

Edited by Cantina Security

Ears, i have done 7 pairs in the last two weeks. First set, turned out great... second set, not so great. Good thing i need a pair of ears with gaps for my SWAT application on MEPD. Anyhow, I found on Scootch's Helmet Build thread a fantastic idea. Mark the mould lines, and mark another line about a quarter inch from the mould line. i added a third line for rough cutting, and also used a set of ears from another helmet for fitting and reference . 

IMAG3387_zps92cfd988.jpg

I had asked Scootch about using HIPS to make a paste like ABS paste, he said probably would not work, well before i recieved his message, i tried a bit on one of my ears, and it did work. i used a bit of the HIPS sludge, rolled it into a play-doh like shape noodle, and pressed it onto the curve of the ear, it cured over night, sanded,  and it fit like a glove, err, ear muff... whatever, the gaps always bother me. TM and Scootch, RS everybody said dont worry, gaps are screen accurate... Blah, I'm Particular when it comes to Star Wars... I like clean smooth lines and no gaps...lol. i will post up some pics of the padded ears. 

Ok, call me crazy , but i am adding a Shadow Trooper to this build... Cap-W

image_zpsad3f0a18.jpg

image_zps4ec2a551.jpg

The White faceplate was an extra from RS that ws distorted on the bottom of the tubes, i Guess was from their original, nevertheless, they sent me a new one for the build, but why waste this plate? I will be doing something different with this for an art show in April..

Looking very good! The black outlines could be a little bit narrower, especially the ones of the right tear, but overall that's very neat. I love the frown!

It would have been great if have taken more pics of the way you fixed your ear gaps though. I think that would have helped lot of troopers.

Yes, thanks Germain , I knew they were a bit on the thick side, I was literally holding my breathe while painting. All along my research I learned of troopers painting the black first, and it didn't make sense, now that I've painted one, I understand why.

I will post a few pics of the ear patches . The gaps were " tolerable " but in my quest for better, I chose to tidy them up. I ended up doing it with both the Cap-W lids.

Thanks for the feedback Colonel.

Ok, so here is a little bit about my ear conundrum. Just being picky about some minor gaps, i thought i would try the paste trick. Although i was advised against it i had already put the plan in motion before i got final word via PM. any how, It didn't turn out bad, there was very little acetone on the paste when i applied it, i actually brushed a bit more on to help adhere it to the inside of the com. Honestly this would not work if the gaps were over an eight inch. my gaps were from my scissor went too deep, and i had to fill in that area, as well as some minor adjusting. 

I pressed the playdoh like worm onto the back side of the curved portion on the com pad, and simply pressed and needed it into position, used the force if you will, well used my fingers actually. here are some photos, first the worm, then the inside of the ear showing it adhered to the HIPS, finally some shots of the fitted pieces.

IMAG3428_zps5470ad23.jpg

IMAG3429_zps1d19cd47.jpg

IMAG3421_zps3bad3804.jpg

IMAG3420_zps5a5e1e63.jpg

IMAG3419_zps6fff30e8.jpg

IMAG3418_zps5a61d3e0.jpg

So, Then I started painting the TM. Nervous i was, not wanting to tarnish these straight lines, Turned out pretty good, still waiting on my tube stripe templates, and the trap strip templates. Everything else painted free hand. 

IMAG3423_zpsdb157dcf.jpg

IMAG3424_zps092612c9.jpg

IMAG3425_zps5af9588b.jpg

IMAG3426_zpse47676f9.jpg

No One Can Resist The Stormtrooper Selfie.

Started one of the Scootch Lids, Painting. Blasted a couple nice coats of primer.Sanded with some beat up 320, then wet sanded with 400. Feeling good. 

Had to make a temporary paint pole. Works...

IMAG3430_zpsbbd75fe6.jpg

IMAG3431_zpsb3fc4775.jpg

IMAG3432_zps442e43c3.jpg

IMAG3433_zpsa05de569.jpg

Helmets For Days.... :smiley-sw013: