eFX Helmet

The lenses have been changed to darker green ones. I will be widening the teeth this week and filling in the seem along the frown. Besides the ears/ear bumps, is there anything else I need to do?

If you want to make it truly a hero helmet you need bubble lenses.

Ā 

Do you have a line on where to find these? I'm modding my efx helmet too and the only ones I can seem to find are from this guy.

Ā 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandtrooper-THERMOFORMED-green-Replacement-lenses-STAR-WARS-PROP-/231078901774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cd60380e&autorefresh=true

Not some that I'm certain would fit the eFX. The ones you link are in the ad used on an ordinary FX helmet which is larger than the eFX but you can try them if you like.

Ā 

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ā 

Ā 

• 3 months later...

Hi All

Am shiny new to the 501st (and UKG) and had my first costume cleared last week. For me it has to be ANH Stormtrooper first to realise the inner 70s & 80s childs dream!Ā 

Over the months of prep I researched a lot about the helmets, best armour suppliers etc. I opted for an RS suit and haven't been disappointed, it sailed through clearance and has been a joy to behold!

The one area I've been a bit concerned about is the lid. The kit i chose came with a stunt helmet and i decided i wanted to have a hero one as well, I don't know why, i just did. The RS kit is a Brian Muir edition and is truly superb, but (and maybe this is my inexperience shining through), I've been a little bit underwhelmed with the finish of the helmet, which is why I think i wanted to have a hero as well, probably closer to my own childhood perception of the helmet as it was the one made for the close up shots.Ā 

I bought the efx ABS hero variant (largely on impulse) and have begun work on it to get it to Legion standards. According to the 501st costume library the hero lid should have the following:

1. Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) are gray.
2. Rear traps and tears have vertical black lines.
3. Lenses may be flat or bubble, green or smoke, sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.
4. The Ć¢ā‚¬Å“earĆ¢ā‚¬ bars may have three or four bumps and should be gray or painted gray, with a black outline. Painting the bumps with a rank stripe (highlighted) in black is optional.
5. Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area. Six total teeth on the frown are cut out and the frown is tapered at the ends.
6. Tube stripes are medium blue, should be 11 or 13 per side but can be between 9 and 16 per side with the curve bends extending backwards.
7. Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is painted black.
8. Aerators/Hovi mix tips (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are black or painted black.
9. Tears, traps, and tube stripes may be hand painted, decals, or decals that replicate hand painted.
10. Mesh may be used behind the frown to obscure the face of the wearer.

In the image below I've put both together. I believe I've almost completed the hero version to the above requirements, other than darkening the lenses (temporary) and then (when i can find any) adding the bubble lenses.

I guess my questions and general musings are more around what actually does need doing to it to meet the 501st requirements.

I read on a few posts that TK Lids must have ear screws, although its not required in the costume library ? With the below image, is it just me or does the hero lid look a little wider? it fits well looks great in the armour but it looks a bit wider around the tubes? Maybe my eyes are failing me or I'm too paranoid for my own good!?

I'm also not sure why the ears need modifying, they look fine (when compared to my stunt) and meet the requirements in the above list. In many ways the efx helmet is far more detailed than my RS stunt. Ā I know i need to fill in the seam beneath the frown, white sealant seems to be the popular choice?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice and as warned, apologies for any bone questions!

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

In many ways the efx helmet is far more detailed than my RS stunt.

Ā 

I never thought i'd read that one day... On your picture, there's one wonderful helmet, the RS one, and one, let's be honest, ugly helmet, the efx.

Ā 

As you're new you're perhaps not familiar with how original helmets looks. Here's an original HERO helmet on the picture below, and you can see that there's a world between it and the efx one. The whole general shape on the efx is just wrong compared to it.

med_gallery_12157_15_8491.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Regarding the ear screws, they are required for second the level of approval. But yes, for basic 501st approval they aren't required.

Ā 

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Ears shall have two screws per side, one above the ear bar and one at the base of the helmet.

Ā 

Really? efx produced the same helmet as the efx stunt and just cut out 3 teeth per side? Thats funny :laugh1:

There was once a "real" efx hero lid sold back in 2008 (http://starwarshelmets.com/efx_stormtrooper_helmet.htm) but it is rare these days.

Apart from what the CRL says a real hero helmet needs bubble lenses (my personal opinion), Would be stupid to call it a hero without the most differing part concerning the stunt.

I'm also not sure why the ears need modifying, they look fine (when compared to my stunt) and meet the requirements in the above list. In many ways the efx helmet is far more detailed than my RS stunt. Ā I know i need to fill in the seam beneath the frown, white sealant seems to be the popular choice?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I will explain this with the fact that you are not that long in the hobby, but man: the RS Stunt helmet is THE referrence concerning Stunt/Stormtrooper helmets.

The efx is definitely not more detailed than the RS helmet.... at least it hasnƂĀ“t got more original detail, but is digitally overworked, symetrical, and cleaned up. But I respect people who like that kind of idealised look after all.

Ā 

Sorry but I canƂĀ“t help you with the changes to the efx for base acceptance.

Ā 

IƂĀ“ve seen TMƂĀ“s awesome hero helmet and keep in mind: the efx is really far away,,,, you can always sell the efx and get the real deal ;) RS armor with efx helmet - that combination would be new to me.

I went down the path of modifying the eFX and it is so not worth it. It only took my first unofficial outing to realize there are helmets that are so much better. So I upgraded to Scootch's CAP helmet and haven't looked back since.

My advice to you is this: Sell that eFX for some extra spending money or keep it on your shelf as a display piece. If you must have a Hero helmet, like others said, hit up TM. He goes by the screen name "troopermaster" on this forum.

Hey all

Ā 

Thanks very much for the pointers and advice. Being new to it I just wasn't sure, but I'm glad for the input. I didn't feel right when I put it on, although it looked "good" to my untrained eye, I felt something was off and you've confirmed it.

Ā 

The RS lid seems to sit better and just look right, but I couldn't for the life of my understand why the other didn't when it felt and seemed more detailed.

Ā 

Appreciate you indulging newbie bone questions and for setting me on the right path.

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Rich

• 2 months later...